Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Work The Heavy Bag

Here is an article on working the heavy bag. Boxing for fitness is becoming more popular all the time, with both the general public and other sports using it as a cross training alternative.

Work The Heavy Bag
The most universally recognised, and tested over time, methods of boxing training is working the heavy bag. Bags come in different sizes (both vertical and horizontal), shapes and weights, being filled with sand, cloth or even sometimes water. A heavy bag is ideally attached to a solid steel beam with strap and chain to enable suitable attachment whilst pounding away (Note- bag stands are not ideal as they both limit the bags range of movement as well as the boxers ability to circle the bag).

More:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Lead Right is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 AM   #2
magik10

Default Re: Work The Heavy Bag

Getting in shape is really the reason I have started up boxing as a hobby. I got sick of lifting weights for years and doing cardio on machines. Now with boxing, I have a lot more fun and can feel my whole body getting in shape. Outside of the exercise aspect of it, I really enjoy the sport. It truly is a sweet science. I'm just upset at myself for not taking it up a lot sooner in life.
magik10 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Work The Heavy Bag

Oh yeah, boxing training is great to help with other types of training and life in general.

The explosive movement will help with your lifting as I am come to learn, activating type 2 fast twitch muscle fibers(both A and B), and most importantly changing the type of way in which they are activated. One of the 4 ways in which you should apply overload is type (along with frequency, intensity and time), but it is often forgotten, certainly to the stage of mixing it up with boxing or underground training.

I train at a gym where one of the part owners is a national power lifting champion. He said that boxing is an important part of his training when preparing for a competition.
Lead Right is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing