Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880
Default The Outlaw Boxing Gym

Can someone school me on the Outlaw Boxing Gym? I was watching an interview with James Toney and Lamon Brewster and they were reminiscing about training there, calling it their favourite gym. All I know about it is it was the LA gym set up by Mickey Rourke for his foray into professional boxing, with Freddie Roach as the head trainer, and it was from this gym that the Wildcard emerged. I also saw this awesome interview that I think was filmed there in the build-up to Eubank vs Benn II:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EssKp4-Nw2Q&feature=related[/ame]

Does anyone have any more information on the Outlaw Gym? It sounds like such an intriguing place, with a mix of characters and the movie-star connection. I'm hoping a book was written about it.
qwert is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158
Default Re: The Outlaw Boxing Gym

I believe Outlaw is now what is Wild Card.

Or at least all the equipment was moved I know Rourke gave all his stuff to Roach.
Rico Spadafora is online now  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Outlaw Boxing Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Can someone school me on the Outlaw Boxing Gym? I was watching an interview with James Toney and Lamon Brewster and they were reminiscing about training there, calling it their favourite gym. All I know about it is it was the LA gym set up by Mickey Rourke for his foray into professional boxing, with Freddie Roach as the head trainer, and it was from this gym that the Wildcard emerged. I also saw this awesome interview that I think was filmed there in the build-up to Eubank vs Benn II:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Does anyone have any more information on the Outlaw Gym? It sounds like such an intriguing place, with a mix of characters and the movie-star connection. I'm hoping a book was written about it.
Outlaw was about 10 blocks, on Santa Monica Blvd. from where Wild Card is now. Before it was Outlaw, it was a still photographer's studio. Freddie lived in it in a climb-up crawl space, with just enough room to sleep.
john garfield is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum