hhascup is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: How Accurate is "The Fighter?"

havent seen the movie yet, this video comparison was very well done... from what I saw in that clip I definitely want to go see the fighter now.

you can never expect a movie to be anywhere approaching accurate, thats what documentaries are for.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

It has been beating some names of guys he never even fought....has him making a total turn around when in fact he still lost fights here and their...it portrays the WBU belt as a real world title...during some fights it first has Roy Jones commenting...the George Foreman...all on the same fight which of course never happened...

But much of the fight chorography they tried to mimic as close as they could...ward was as Rocky Balboa fighter as your ever get in real life...but even at that certain fights they showed as more one sided then the fights actually where...all in all though a pretty good film.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Damn I need to proof read mư posts
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member

They don't have Ward smoking crack, only Eklund, as seen in "High on Crack Street".
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

These are my thoughts on the film from a thread about the book it partly drew from:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Well, hopefully the book is more of a straight bio and takes fewer liberties than the film.

It's a great film, FWIW. It's just chock full of fallacies.

They have the Mungin bout (which is indeed the "he's got 20lbs on me" moment from the trailer) taking place in 1993 after Ward was on a skid losing "a few fights in a row", as opposed to the reality of it being his second professional defeat in 1988 and coming off four straight wins. The 4 consecutive losses didn't happen until years later in '90/'91.

They also portray the KO win over Sanchez as being a direct launchpad into the title shot against Neary (making it out that Sanchez had been in line for that shot) - ignoring that three years passed and Ward lost twice in between.

They also just plain fabricate the names of a bunch of boxers Ward never actually faced leading up to the Sanchez win - Maneti, Collins, Hernandez - who? They all served as part of a "Back In The Saddle" montage of knockout wins.

As for the Neary win, they essentially make it into a clone of the Sanchez performance (which it really wasn't) - with Ward portrayed as getting battered for 7 rounds before mounting a miraculous comeback KO in the 8th inspired by his brother's words. It was just pure feel-good fluff. Oh, and in this fictionalized account the WBU title is a genuine and respected "world title". As us Ward fans are too well aware, his fantastic overachiever's career was never adorned with any real championship.

They also make a lot of how Dick Ecklund boasted of having knocked SRL down (at the conclusion of the 9th round of their meeting, when he steps over Ray's face en route to the neutral corner), and how many of his sycophantic neighbors and relatives bought into it. The footage clearly shows SRL going down as a result of a shove/slip (which was the correct call at the time), so it's hard to believe that anybody - even under the influence of crack and nostalgia - could honestly think otherwise. I don't know if that bit was just poetic license or if there were actually people in Lowell who held to such a silly notion.
Quote:
The movie is actually as much about Dickie as it is about Micky.

Dickie's part focuses on his transition from believing he can still mount a comeback in his late 30's/early 40's and having HBO make a documentary about him, which he tells everyone is about his comeback but is in fact about crack addiction in Lowell. In his journey he has to let go of the past (and his habits) and let Mick be his own man.

Micky's story is actually somewhat secondary to that, and centers on his (fictional) ultimately-realized hopes for a world title as well as the growth of his relationship with Charlene and the strain it put on his bonds with his family.

The book, presumably, is more about Micky (and again, more accurate). Bob Halloran is a decent journalist; I've read several of his sports articles in local papers over the years.
Quote:
Including the Gatti fights just for the sake of doing so would have been every bit as tacky as pretending his WBU win represented the cathartic achievement of a lifelong dream to be world champ.

This part of his life (even with the bits they jumbled out of order) was well before his FOTY period (spanning his meetings with Augustus and Gatti). Stretching the plot out just to include them would have been stupid. That so many fans would demand the inclusion of Gatti is predictable and regrettable. Just enjoy those fights for what they are. They don't need a movie made about them. The dynamic shifts in Ward's complex relationship with his half-brother provided a far more compelling film subject than the twilight of his career, where he went 2-3 over the course of two years after having already considered permanent retirement. Those fights are a story unto themselves, and deserve to stand alone as such. There's no need to fictionalize them.
Quote:
Personally, as a big Ward fan (and Ward-Gatti trilogy fan) I was relieved that the film was going to focus on the earlier part of his career, with which I was less familiar. That's actually why it was so disappointing that they had so many factual errors and chronological disorder.
Quote:
Bale's performance is the real draw - and as I explained, the movie is almost more about Dick Ecklund.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

ward himself said it was 80% accurate...MUCH more so than the book irish thunder. as johnstown pointed out, they took liberties in terms of the fights and commentary. for instance, they inserted gatti/ward 1 commentary over the neary fight. and the neary fight was FAR better than portrayed in the movie...hardly one sided, it was a brilliant brawl that deserved FOTY consideration. again the most glaring boxing error was that the WBU was considered "legit" which it isn't

still it's pretty accurate from i've read in terms of his life and his brother's bullshit. and dickie really did apparently spend 10 years telling ppl he knocked down SRL...
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I have no intention of using a ticket to go see it (and if I ever do, it will be when there's no admission fee, as with every movie I watch), but my father and sister just did, and my sister (a non sports fan) asked me about some of the story behind it. I was watching the live broadcast of SRL-Eklund, and was impressed by Ray's power and leverage for the first time. (You could hear the impact of the knockdown combinations even if not looking at the picture.) The crowd went berserk when the dominant participant suddenly fell down, but it was clear on screen that it wasn't caused by a punch. I understand Eklund was portrayed as backing off his claim of a knockdown when pressed in the movie. (As it's been on youtube for everybody to see, and was viewed through much of New England when it happened, he should have known better than to tell false stories about it.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Wahlbergs hair was too dark
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
Wahlbergs hair was too dark
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

A couple of inaccuracies in the fight scenes themselves...

Despite the fact that he was giving up weight to his opponent, Ward did have some moments later on in the fight against Machine Gun Mungin. Not enough to win the fight, of course, but enough so that it wasn't a case of him getting pummeled relentlessly throughout the entire 10 rounds.

Ward was only dropped to one knee, I believe, in is fight against Sanchez, and the kd took place in the first round- not dropped onto his back as if shot in the fifth as depicted in the movie.

As IB stated already, the Neary fight was quite a bit closer through seven rounds than it was made out to be in the film, and I don't believe Ward was knocked down at any point in the fight.

The funny thing is that the filmmakers do a reasonably accurate job of depicting the way Ward took out Sanchez and Neary. So, even allowing for artistic liscense, you'd think that they would have portrayed the other portion of these fights with the same type of accuracy. It might not have been quite as dramatic, but by the same token, those fights were already pretty accurate in their own right.

I think everyone on here rolled their eyes at the idea of the WBU title being portrayed as legitimate, too. But that's already been covered.

Anyway, having stated all that, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought Bale and Wahlberg both gave stellar performances, and wouldn't be at all surprised if they both get nominations for Oscars to honor the work they did.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
brucebufershair
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Is it true that Micky ward broke SRL's ribs in sparring i think for the hearns fight ?
brucebufershair is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum