Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 1419
Default British Amateur Boxing Thread

There is no amateur forum on ESB so i thought id create a thread whereby the amateur fans can can talk anything about the amateur boxing scene. I imagine with the olympic games coming up next year that the amateur side will get a bit more publicity (although it wouldnt suprise me if it got gone) over the next year and a half.

Plus its the business end of the season with the schoolboy championships starting this month before the junior and Senior ABAs pick up from march.

The thread can also be used to talk about past boxers/competitions or the world amateur scene. if there is already a thread on this send me the link and ill ask the mods to delete this one.
chatty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Big Dunk
Rob Palmer
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,820
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

good idea mate.
Big Dunk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Big Dunk
Rob Palmer
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,820
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

GB Boxing's first international test of 2011 will see a mixed squad travel Sweden for a dual international this Friday.

The team, led by coaches Nigel Davies and Paul Walmsley, includes World Championship silver medallists Nicola Adams and Savannah Marshall. Savannah, who aims to improve on a prolific 2010, is gradually building up to box at 75kg in the Olympics and will make the move from 69kg to 73kg for this contest.

Amanda Coulson will be hoping to get her year off to a good start, after missing out on the GB Championship gold medal to team mate Natasha Jonas at the end of 2010. Women's EU Championship silver medallist Chantelle Cameron and Welsh boxer Lynsey Holdaway complete the line-up for the women's squad. Lynsey's recent successes include reaching the quarter finals of last September's Women's World Championships, and a victory over Ruth Raper in the semi finals of the GB Championships in November.

A youthful men's line-up features two Welshmen; Joe Cordina, who won a silver at the World Combat Games back in September, and 2010 Youth Olympian Zack Davies. Representing England are Shafiq Asif; who has won his last three internationals as a GB boxer, Repton's Sam McNess; and 2010 ABA champions Anthony Fowler, Lawrence Osueke and Anthony Joshua.


The full team is:

Women
50kg Lynsey Holdaway (Wales)
51kg Nicola Adams (England)
60kg Amanda Coulson (England
64kg Chantelle Cameron (England)
73kg Savannah Marshall (England)

Men
56kg Joe Cordina (Wales)
58kg Zack Davies (Wales
60kg Shafiq Asif (England)
64kg Sam McNess (England)
69kg Anthony Fowler (England)
81kg Lawrence Osueke (England)
+91kg Anthony Joshua (England)
Big Dunk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
Posts: 15,044
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

why is fowler in the team and not callum smith
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 1419
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dunk View Post
GB Boxing's first international test of 2011 will see a mixed squad travel Sweden for a dual international this Friday.

The team, led by coaches Nigel Davies and Paul Walmsley, includes World Championship silver medallists Nicola Adams and Savannah Marshall. Savannah, who aims to improve on a prolific 2010, is gradually building up to box at 75kg in the Olympics and will make the move from 69kg to 73kg for this contest.

Amanda Coulson will be hoping to get her year off to a good start, after missing out on the GB Championship gold medal to team mate Natasha Jonas at the end of 2010. Women's EU Championship silver medallist Chantelle Cameron and Welsh boxer Lynsey Holdaway complete the line-up for the women's squad. Lynsey's recent successes include reaching the quarter finals of last September's Women's World Championships, and a victory over Ruth Raper in the semi finals of the GB Championships in November.

A youthful men's line-up features two Welshmen; Joe Cordina, who won a silver at the World Combat Games back in September, and 2010 Youth Olympian Zack Davies. Representing England are Shafiq Asif; who has won his last three internationals as a GB boxer, Repton's Sam McNess; and 2010 ABA champions Anthony Fowler, Lawrence Osueke and Anthony Joshua.


The full team is:

Women
50kg Lynsey Holdaway (Wales)
51kg Nicola Adams (England)
60kg Amanda Coulson (England
64kg Chantelle Cameron (England)
73kg Savannah Marshall (England)

Men
56kg Joe Cordina (Wales)
58kg Zack Davies (Wales
60kg Shafiq Asif (England)
64kg Sam McNess (England)
69kg Anthony Fowler (England)
81kg Lawrence Osueke (England)
+91kg Anthony Joshua (England)
I reckon Savannah marshall has a hell of a crack of winning gold at the olympics if her form improves the way it has over the last couple of years. She walked away with silver medals at the European and World championships and it was her first time in the comps, plus shes only been a senior for 2 seasons. Another years and a half of international experience will do her the world of good and if she can improve than little bit more she should definately at least win a podium place
chatty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,626
vCash: 500
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Anthony Joshua - The Next Big Thing
ishy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
MIK1000
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Scotland take on wales this weekend in edinburgh, featuring Commonwealth games boxers, Joe Ham and Aston Brown as well as Commonwealth games lightweight silver medallist Josh Taylor.
MIK1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
tmsbry
#1
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 14400
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

How come 3 time ABA champion Martin Stead ain't boxing at 60kg?
tmsbry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 324
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Great thread

MODS - STICKY PLEASE!!
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
smithj1234jj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

louise mitchell making history as the first women scot to box for scoltand in scotland!!
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

What do you lads think of Martin Ward ??

Dont think he has much chance of beating Tom Stalker .
He is an Irish Traveller so I wonder will he come over and try box for us if he dosent make team GB for the next olympics.

Last edited by moorser; 01-13-2011 at 12:41 PM.
moorser is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Anthony Joshua - The Next Big Thing

From the clips ive seen he looks impresive but a bit raw, he beat Irelands new up and coming super heavey Sean Turner (19) who beat Amin Isa a few months back 6-3 last month in a Ireland v England international.

How old is he Ishy do you know ?
moorser is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 324
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorser View Post
What do you lads think of Martin Ward ??

Dont think he has much chance of beating Tom Stalker .
He is an Irish Pikey so I wonder will he come over and try box for us if he dosent make team GB for the next olympics.
Never seen Ward so unfair to comment but Stalker is top notch.
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD1983 View Post
Never seen Ward so unfair to comment but Stalker is top notch.
I have seen both but I am very impressed by Stalker he would do well in the pros imo and is already 26.

Here is Ward winning the ABAs last year.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ntXFh_PGeg[/ame]
moorser is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: ESB Brit Forum Amateur Boxing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorser View Post
What do you lads think of Martin Ward ??

Dont think he has much chance of beating Tom Stalker .
He is an Irish Traveller so I wonder will he come over and try box for us if he dosent make team GB for the next olympics.
I've sparred him, although a while ago.

Real fast boxer with sharp quick counters. A good amatuer style, really.

Stalker dosen't impress me at all, I admit he is a good amateur boxer, but I feel he lacks the necessary tools to be a complete boxer or a good pro, no disrespect to him, though, he has done amazingly well.

Would be a superb match if these two squared off, polar opposite styles really.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013