Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
XavierHollywood
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default cutting the excess fat without sacrificing muscle

Hey all, im in need of some advice from those knowledgable in the area. Over the past two months Ive been working hard to put some muscle on my frame. Yea, I know alot of you say to just stick with the weight your at and focus on boxing technique, but honestly I was in serious need of putting some muscle on. And its not like im a serious competitor in boxing so the added weight dosent really affect that either. So anyway, i was able to accomplish my goal of gaining weight. Ive put on almost 20 pounds. Some muscle some obviously fat , and while i obviously am pleased with the muscle growth the excess fat has got to go. Its not a terrible amount but just more then im comfortable with. So question is, what are some effective ways of getting rid of this fat?

Obviously i realize i need to increase cardio, but what else? Do i need to alter my diet? I figure some adjustments are necessary on the diet, but its this diet that has lead to my growth in muscle so im worried that if i change it too much I'll lose the results ive made in that area. Any specific exercises that will help?? So in general, whats the most effective way of losing the fat and retaining the muscle?
XavierHollywood is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: cutting the excess fat without sacrificing muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierHollywood
Hey all, im in need of some advice from those knowledgable in the area. Over the past two months Ive been working hard to put some muscle on my frame. Yea, I know alot of you say to just stick with the weight your at and focus on boxing technique, but honestly I was in serious need of putting some muscle on. And its not like im a serious competitor in boxing so the added weight dosent really affect that either. So anyway, i was able to accomplish my goal of gaining weight. Ive put on almost 20 pounds. Some muscle some obviously fat , and while i obviously am pleased with the muscle growth the excess fat has got to go. Its not a terrible amount but just more then im comfortable with. So question is, what are some effective ways of getting rid of this fat?

Obviously i realize i need to increase cardio, but what else? Do i need to alter my diet? I figure some adjustments are necessary on the diet, but its this diet that has lead to my growth in muscle so im worried that if i change it too much I'll lose the results ive made in that area. Any specific exercises that will help?? So in general, whats the most effective way of losing the fat and retaining the muscle?
Great question, I did pretty much the same thing as you in 2006, I gained 25 pounds in 6 months going from 175- 200. I felt strong as **** and my chest and arms got alot bigger, but my abs were gone and my definition wasnt as obvious.

Unless your genetically gifted its doubtful you will be able to keep the mass and put on the definition you want. I will give some advice that might help, for every pound you weigh eat a gram of protein, so if your 200 pounds you will need to digest 200 grams of protein. Eat low carb foods and stay the hell away form sodas and potato chips. You will see less fat on your body in a couple months of that, just remember you must lift alot and stay active so what ever your putting in your body is being used.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Rain
Dem Outta Luck Now

Its got nothing to do with genetics, thats a poor excuse from people not prepared to put in the intense work it requires... you need to do high intensity conditioning drills... sprints, circuits and intervals will help strip fat off your body quickly while maintaining your muscle, try some hill sprints.

But yes stay away from shit food and if your training hard you will need protein to aid your recovery and allow you to train more often. If your training hard enough you will probably find your appetite increases while your fat decreases... unless thats just me.
Rain is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain
Its got nothing to do with genetics, thats a poor excuse from people not prepared to put in the intense work it requires... you need to do high intensity conditioning drills... sprints, circuits and intervals will help strip fat off your body quickly while maintaining your muscle, try some hill sprints.
Really? Genetics don't play a role?
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Marcum
Really? Genetics don't play a role?
I guess he never seen the picture of Mike Tyson at 13. Of course genetics play a role, how many guys you know that can be 5'10 and a half 235 and be massive and cut with blocks for abs. My dad is the exact same size as Tyson weight and hieght, works out like crazy and isnt even close to having abs or being that cut. Genetics aint everything, I believe hard work and proper diet are more important, but who ever says genetics dont matter there lying to themselves.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I guess he never seen the picture of Mike Tyson at 13. Of course genetics play a role, how many guys you know that can be 5'10 and a half 235 and be massive and cut with blocks for abs. My dad is the exact same size as Tyson weight and hieght, works out like crazy and isnt even close to having abs or being that cut. Genetics aint everything, I believe hard work and proper diet are more important, but who ever says genetics dont matter there lying to themselves.
I agree 100%... P.s. my OP was simply me being a dick head.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
db2431
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

If you are a NATURAL trainer there is no reason to get fat while gaining muscle, muscle just doesnt grow that fast. Eating above 3-400 calories over your maintenance will only make you fatter, all the bulking stuff you read about came from the Steroid era and has somehow crossed over in to the natural trainers arena.
db2431 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
XavierHollywood
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

^ would you care to enlighten me a bit more on that? I personally have noticed that before my new diet I had plateaued for a looong time. I varied my exercises, did more reps, increased weight, but I didnt see any results in a while. Since the new diet tho, my arms have gone up about an inch in a little over a month, my chest filled out more, and my back got a bit broader. The only thing i can attribute that to is the increased carbs and protein that Im now getting. If i go back to eating like I did before I feel I will lose all the weight.

As far as sprints go, what is the best method for them? Sprint for a set amount of time (or distance), take rest and repeat? How many sprinting drills are adequate to meet my goals?
XavierHollywood is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You should aim to add 1 pound per week (that won't all be muscle).

Genetics play a huge role in your ability to gain/lose muscle. For example, some are born with more fast twitch muscle fibres, these people usually have good athletic ability and will be able to build muscle quite easily, while some are born with a higher percentage of slow twitch muscle fibres, these people will find it difficult to add mass to their bodies but they can excel at events such as distance running.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
db2431
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierHollywood
^ would you care to enlighten me a bit more on that? I personally have noticed that before my new diet I had plateaued for a looong time. I varied my exercises, did more reps, increased weight, but I didnt see any results in a while. Since the new diet tho, my arms have gone up about an inch in a little over a month, my chest filled out more, and my back got a bit broader. The only thing i can attribute that to is the increased carbs and protein that Im now getting. If i go back to eating like I did before I feel I will lose all the weight.

As far as sprints go, what is the best method for them? Sprint for a set amount of time (or distance), take rest and repeat? How many sprinting drills are adequate to meet my goals?
Sure youll grow with a mass of excess calories, but you will also get fat, sure youll be bigger, but most will be fat/water gain and youll end up with 20-30 pounds of fat in a short time which when you diet off youll lose most/all the muscle you gained.The highest a natural trainer can hope to gain is around 18 pounds of muscle in a year, and thats for the true elite.
db2431 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
sharpshooter736
The Punishment, Served

comprise your self your daily 3 meals a day and divide that into 5 meals a day...makes your metabolism higher, and burns more fat...then just work your asss of and wa la you will have less fat...seriously
sharpshooter736 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
db2431
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter736
comprise your self your daily 3 meals a day and divide that into 5 meals a day...makes your metabolism higher, and burns more fat...then just work your asss of and wa la you will have less fat...seriously
Thats another kinda-myth, the difference in metabolism is small at best from eating 6 meals a day instead of 3.It all comes down to Calories out>Calories in, you can eat 1500 calories of pure lard a day and still lose 2 pounds of fat a week if you are an average guy.
db2431 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Boyd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

the 6 meals a day isn't a myth. it works for lots and lots of people. it helps in the over eating area more though. i just lost 30 lbs from counting calories, now i am in the process of putting just muscle back on. i still count the calories but eat 500 more a day and mostly protien. i have gained back about 4 pounds and am still ripped so it is working for me so far. i do eat 6 meals a day also. i will stick with what i know works for me.
Boyd is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
db2431
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd
the 6 meals a day isn't a myth. it works for lots and lots of people. it helps in the over eating area more though. i just lost 30 lbs from counting calories, now i am in the process of putting just muscle back on. i still count the calories but eat 500 more a day and mostly protien. i have gained back about 4 pounds and am still ripped so it is working for me so far. i do eat 6 meals a day also. i will stick with what i know works for me.
Eating 1000 calories a day of butter would work too.
db2431 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
Boyd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2431
Eating 1000 calories a day of butter would work too.
what's your point?
Boyd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing