Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Vote!
Spinks 21 56.76%
Jones 14 37.84%
Addie, is the most overrated movie still guesser in the history of GTMSB 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #46
Commando
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Vote on who has the better resume Jones or Spinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Ooooooohhh, that's gotta sting.

No not really, there's a lot of people that haven't seen this thread yet and haven't voted. Bodhi, Jorodz, Powerpuncher get your votes in!

But like I said I can understand that if we are including Spinks second "win" over Holmes, I can see why you guys would rate him over Jones. But Most people, well pretty much everybody thought he lost the second fight...so I don't see anyway he should be rated over Jones.
Commando is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #47
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

it should be mentioned some of the better fighters outside of Jones and Hopkins that Roy beat were in decline, more so than the likes of Lopez and Johnson who were battleworn as well.

Malinga had become a rather ordinary slow fighter, with his later brief success saying more about how flawed Robin Reid was.

Reggie Johnson was never convincing when he came back at light heavy.Clearly undersized, lacking firepower or the legs he used to have, he exposed a truly poor fighter in Guthrie and made a few very so-so defences before getting hammered by Roy.Still competent but not the good fighter he had been on the early 90s middle scene.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #48
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post
No not really, there's a lot of people that haven't seen this thread yet and haven't voted. Bodhi, Jorodz, Powerpuncher get your votes in!

But like I said I can understand that if we are including Spinks second "win" over Holmes, I can see why you guys would rate him over Jones. But Most people, well pretty much everybody thought he lost the second fight...so I don't see anyway he should be rated over Jones.
Problem is you seem to be ignoring this illustrious career at Light Heavyweight and pointing to the Larry Holmes win as the only reason why he rates high. Spink's LHW opponents were pretty good and at 175 the quality of his wins are better.

Toney and Hopkins [being debatable] aside, some of Jones's best names were further from their best than some of Spinks's best names when he faced them. The 2nd "win" over Holmes has no bearing as to his ranking and it serves are the cherry on top.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #49
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Walker was very famous, Greb very well respected. Gans/Langford too were two very respected fighters.
You have read contemporary sources for build-ups and post-fight reports for these? Langford was a virtual nobody before that bout (the fact that Gans fought him the next day after facing Holly tells us all we need to know). First mention of Langford challenging Gans to a fight appeared only a week before they met in the ring (Dec 1, 1903). Langford's name was difficult to find anywhere except MA, RI, and some advanced (in boxing coverage) NY papers. It was seen as nothing more than keeping-busy fight for the champion. I didn't see any special build-up for Greb-Walker either, and the post-fight reports I quoted here before describe it as a meaningless bout.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #50
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
All true but nevertheless in terms of depth itīs Jones IMO. He fought over a longer time and more divisions and so just added more names on his resume. At the Top Spinks has the better resume, no doubt, the deeper you go the more the odds change to Jonesī favour. It depends what you like I guess and what you factor in. For example, is it more worth to become the champ in two divisions or winning belts in 4? Like I said in another thread, I go with Jones since going up from mw to hw and beating a decent contender there is just great. I wonīt argue with people who have Spinks ahead. Itīs close and depends what you prefer. Most of the time I go with longevity and unique achievements as the decider, thatīs why for itīs Jones.

Something went terribly wrong here though, Iīm the resident Jones-hater and defend him here?

edit:
I absolutly agree with you. Iīm so dissapointed in him, same goes for Mayweather, Tyson and Hamed - who all could have done much more too but didnīt.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #51
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
and i'm the resident jones nuthugger and i'm arguing for spinks at times! ****...what the hell is wrong with the classic
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #52
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
He'd achieved more at that stage, Hopkins would go on to achieve far more and actually had more fights under his belt. In terms of ability '93 Hopkins gets talked down but there is little evidence he was far from his prime

Qawi was a fantastic fighter, but at the end of the day he was a 5'5 LHW taking ona 6'3 boxer with an excellent jab. He was always going to be massively handicaped against the better rangier opponents at LHW so for me this isn't quite the massive win its made out to be
I agree with you here.

Hopkins does not look that bad in this fight, he just fights a bad fight IMO, but that does not take anything away from Jones win.

I think this is a sort of Arguello vs Marcel sort of situation.
GPater11093 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum