Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Dempsey kos Wills in 2 rounds 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Thanks B. I feel like i am talking in a void,stating my case. What I post on
ESB, trying to make my case, falls on deaf ears. Maybe, i should just fold my cards,and avoid tilting at windmills. Just watch the paint dry on my walls
and enjoy the fighters I have seen and read about,all my life in silence.
Let Dempsey's heirs defend his legacy from some of today's closed, and biased minds today. Damn frustrating for me...I am not versed in political correctness. cheers b...
you are by far the most biassed and condescending poster on this forum
Pachilles is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #62
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
if you are talking about manbearpig i wouldnt worry too much about him...I have yet to have heard him make a meaningful contribution. Actually Pachilles while a similar douche sometimes actually makes a constructive comment....nothing like that from manbearpig.
What was it you were saying about Pachilles??
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #63
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Anyone who thinks dempsey ducked wills is a hindsight hero. during dempseys reighn his sparring partner big bill tate drew with wills for the black heavyweight title, both claimed the "title", ok wills beat tate clearly before hand but it shows wills was not any kind of threat at that time.

I think when Argentina's firpo was the second biggest draw in boxing, drawing 80,000 fans to his fights in dempseys country this was a bigger threat to his title.

Now, I am not a hindsight hero, we all NOW know firpo was easy meat for jack- but nobody knew that before hand. The people knew before hand that wills drew with dempseys sparring fodder and they later knew wills could not (and did not) decisivly beat firpo AFTER dempsey had done with him.

With hindsight you can look back NOW and say, "oh, look who jack missed out" but back then it was "has he got a chance with the champ? how many seats will he sell?" and back when the fight was ACTUALY viable the answer was "wills only got a draw against the champs sparring partner and he fights in empty barns"
What a nonsense post ...

Wills was the top rated contender for Dempsey's title his entire reign, fighting far more often and against far better opposition than Dempsey did. This is fact. . Firpo was a well promoted freak, a novice with a punch ... no where in Wills league ... as far as Tate goes, Wills flattened him early, defeated him a couple of other times and had a draw in a bout he was hampered by a terrible eye cut ... we have no idea how Tate would do against Dempsey in a bout as he obviously did not go balls to the wall in sparring. He liked the good pay ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #64
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
What a nonsense post ...

Wills was the top rated contender for Dempsey's title his entire reign, fighting far more often and against far better opposition than Dempsey did. This is fact. . Firpo was a well promoted freak, a novice with a punch ... no where in Wills league ... as far as Tate goes, Wills flattened him early, defeated him a couple of other times and had a draw in a bout he was hampered by a terrible eye cut ... we have no idea how Tate would do against Dempsey in a bout as he obviously did not go balls to the wall in sparring. He liked the good pay ...
I'm sure you don't penalise Jack Johnson for flat out publically refusing to defend against Sam Langford do you??

Do you flat out consider that Sam Langford would of wiped the floor with Jack Johnson had they fought - just on the grounds of Johnson ducking out on little Sam??

I very much doubt it - and don't come back with the argument that we already know Jack would've won because he had already fought him because we all know that Sam was like a welterweight back at that stage - Jack simply saw him as too much of a threat to risk the title he didn't want to lose - but again most people (while not completely ruling out an upset) generally consider that Johnson would've been Sam's master - but Johnson still ducked him and publically and directly - Dempsey on the other hand didn't duck Wills himself??
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum