Boucher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I Wonder If This Might Be Of Interest

Yes, thanks. I've added that to my collection.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

definitely of interest.

Although, without sidetracking this tread, i have to say that the round by round of JOhnson Jeffries sounds an awful lot like the way mendoza described it in another thread. Given that this book was about Johnson and obviously would probably be a little pro johnson because of it, you would have to assume that Mendoza'a version must gain some credence. It sounds like Jeffries Johnson wasn t the one sided thrashing that is usually assumed.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
definitely of interest.

Although, without sidetracking this tread, i have to say that the round by round of JOhnson Jeffries sounds an awful lot like the way mendoza described it in another thread. Given that this book was about Johnson and obviously would probably be a little pro johnson because of it, you would have to assume that Mendoza'a version must gain some credence. It sounds like Jeffries Johnson wasn t the one sided thrashing that is usually assumed.
I'd rather not go into the books interpretations in any depth.
But just a couple of examples,the account of the Burns fight describes Burns swollen jaw which I mentioned to Bobby Sinn,and he dismissed.
The Jeffries account does give more credit to Jeff.
The O Brien fight, it says was definitely Johnson's.
You place what credence you like on these accounts, but it is additional , info of a sort.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
definitely of interest.

I find this hard to say without being condescending, but I have the benefit of film, 15+ years of research. I know quite a few seasoned historians who have either evolved past the need to post on the web, or simply do not fancy the medium as a means for communication. Do I make mistakes? Absolutely! However I have something most of you don't. About 200+ pre 1950 boxing films / clips you can't find on youtube.

In this case I have seen the majority of the filmed rounds between Jeffries and Johnson, and they go in sequence. Unfortunately, I can not post my VHS or DVD boxing films on no youtube or trade them due to agreements that were necessary to acquire them. I will say this. Watching how it went down on film trumps the newspaper any day! Yet some here choose to quote poorly researched headlines or books, some of which seem to have taken on a life of its own on the web. When you do not have film the best thing to do is triangulating the facts with multiple sources, preferably primary sources that go into detail about the match.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
In this case I have seen the majority of the filmed rounds between Jeffries and Johnson, and they go in sequence.
You have more than 7 rounds of the fight (semantically, the "majority" of 15 filmed rounds would be 8 or more)?
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
You have more than 7 rounds of the fight (semantically, the "majority" of 15 filmed rounds would be 8 or more)?
Yes, I have more than 7 rounds. There was a collector in England who had what he claimed was the entire fight on DVD with zone 1 and zone 2 settings. Most of the rounds appear. You have to look for a quick flash in the crowd, as they hold up a sign with a number on it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Yes, I have more than 7 rounds. There was a collector in England who had what he claimed was the entire fight on DVD with zone 1 and zone 2 settings. Most of the rounds appear. You have to look for a quick flash in the crowd, as they hold up a sign with a number on it.
I put the link up for discussion, how much credence you give it is up to the individual.
However if you take it as gospel ,then you surely, would do the same concerning the other accounts of fights.
For example Mendoza ,I believe has often stated that O Brien got the better of Johnson ,in their 6 round no dec.This book unequivocably states that there was no doubt Johnson was the winner.You cannot have your cake and eat it ,can you?
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
definitely of interest.

The book was written by Richard K Fox,the editor of the famous Boxing Gazette.
Fox vehemently disliked Johnson and said this about him," he is the vilest ,most despicable creature that lives".
Nothing pro Johnson about that.
Boucher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum