Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Personally, I think Benny beat the better fighters....in my opinion......

But itīs a very interesting discussion I think......

Pep above Benny...Can it be justified ???

Letīs talk about this, Leonard isnīt discussed much around here......Too many damn heavyweight threads ...




Opinions please ?!?
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,786
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Personally, I think Benny beat the better fighters....in my opinion......

But itīs a very interesting discussion I think......

Pep above Benny...Can it be justified ???

Letīs talk about this, Leonard isnīt discussed much around here......Too many damn heavyweight threads ...




Opinions please ?!?
Someone has to start,so here goes. I am one of a very few who saw Willie Pep in his prime, before his near fatal plane crash accident. He was the greatest and most elusive boxer I have ever seen, Not the greatest boxer,for that title belongs to Ray Robinson. But Pep had nowhere the power that Ray had. Willie Pep was the "artful dodger", jab and scoot away out of danger.
Robinson hit with great speed and force. Better all around fighter was Robbie.
Having said that, Everything I have heard and read from the oldtimers who saw Benny Leonard rule the lightweight division for SEVEN years against
the greatest contenders, and proclaimed Leonard as the lightweight equal of
Welterweight Ray Robinson. Leonard was a fast skillful boxer with a great jab,
great reflexes, and a very powerful two handed puncher. He was probably the fastest thinking fighter,boxinbg has ever had,according to Ray Arcel and other experts. So I would take Leonard over Pep,at equal weights P4p.
His much deadlier punching ability made Leonard superior to Pep IMO..
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Someone has to start,so here goes. I am one of a very few who saw Willie Pep in his prime, before his near fatal plane crash accident. He was the greatest and most elusive boxer I have ever seen, Not the greatest boxer,for that title belongs to Ray Robinson. But Pep had nowhere the power that Ray had. Willie Pep was the "artful dodger", jab and scoot away out of danger.
Robinson hit with great speed and force. Better all around fighter was Robbie.
Having said that, Everything I have heard and read from the oldtimers who saw Benny Leonard rule the lightweight division for SEVEN years against
the greatest contenders, and proclaimed Leonard as the lightweight equal of
Welterweight Ray Robinson. Leonard was a fast skillful boxer with a great jab,
great reflexes, and a very powerful two handed puncher. He was probably the fastest thinking fighter,boxinbg has ever had,according to Ray Arcel and other experts. So I would take Leonard over Pep,at equal weights P4p.
His much deadlier punching ability made Leonard superior to Pep IMO..
Good post Burt, I agree 100%.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Depends on criteria. Like in most instances.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In Vitalis cut.
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Benny Leonard IMO.

He has the stronger resume and greater accomplishments.

I also think he is one of the rare occasions where a fighter who fought pre 50s has a style that would not need much tweaking vs a modern opponent.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,491
vCash: 118
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Leonard
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 632
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Benny worked harder at developing his craft from what I gather. He made himself into a puncher with power in both hands after a diligent extended effort. He was never able to analyze precisely how he finally made what appears to have been a quantum leap in concussive force, and his early death may have deprived us of a published masterpiece comparable to Dempsey's Championship Fighting. (I strongly suspect Leonard may have responded to Jack's classic manifesto with one of his own. Dempsey wrote that it took him over a quarter century to successfully codify how he did what he did. Benny, younger by a year, and competing five years after Jack, didn't have enough time to attempt such a self evaluation.)
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 967
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy View Post
Benny worked harder at developing his craft from what I gather. He made himself into a puncher with power in both hands after a diligent extended effort. He was never able to analyze precisely how he finally made what appears to have been a quantum leap in concussive force, and his early death may have deprived us of a published masterpiece comparable to Dempsey's Championship Fighting. (I strongly suspect Leonard may have responded to Jack's classic manifesto with one of his own. Dempsey wrote that it took him over a quarter century to successfully codify how he did what he did. Benny, younger by a year, and competing five years after Jack, didn't have enough time to attempt such a self evaluation.)
I would read a how to box manual written by Benny Leonard. Had he written one.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Benny Leonard


but I contend that I am not knowledgeable enough about either fighter to make a bold statement about whose better.


I think Pep had the skills, and Benny had the brain
reznick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,786
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you rate higher -B. Leonard or Willie Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
Benny Leonard


but I contend that I am not knowledgeable enough about either fighter to make a bold statement about whose better.


I think Pep had the skills, and Benny had the brain
AND the PUNCHING POWER, Rez
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013