Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who wins in a London Prize fight?
Joe Louis 10 58.82%
Hasim Rahman 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765
Default Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist (Round One: Joe Louis/Hasim Rahman)

What if all the Queensberry Rules Linear Heavyweight World Champions had fought each other (in their prime) under London Prize fighting Rules?

Let us say each fighter gets six months training to learn the art of bare knuckle fighting before the competition begins.

Obviously one or two of these fighters has fought under London Prize so you may feel they have an advantage.

The draw was done on (total) length of reign (in years), with the tie breaker being listed alphabetically.

There were 35 generally recognized Linear Champs, so for all those who reigned for less than a year, I listed them on their actual length of reign thus, the bottom six, need to go though a preliminary round, to get to the main draw.

I will only vote, to break a tie, once the poll has closed.

To avoid clogging up the board, I will only list four contests at a time, with a 48 hour time limit for people to vote.

Last edited by TBooze; 02-20-2011 at 04:22 PM.
TBooze is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist (Round One: Joe Louis/Hasim Rahman)

Tough call.

Ramhan was clearly the better street fighter.

Louis only has one recorded street fight.

Then again, you might just get a Mike Tyson Mitch Green scenario in a street fight.

The adition of a set of rules favours Louis because it gives both parties boundaries to work within.

I would lean towards Louis, but the truth is that I don't know.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist (Round One: Joe Louis/Hasim Rahman)

For me it doesn't matter if they fight wearing shitty nappies, Joe Louis would take his head off 9 times out of 10, there's my vote.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
For me it doesn't matter if they fight wearing shitty nappies, Joe Louis would take his head off 9 times out of 10, there's my vote.
I sympathise with the sentiment, but the rule set makes anything possible.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Rahman. He's significantly bigger and stronger here. Louis wasn't a particularly mobile fighter, so Rahman could repeatedly close, throw him, and fall on him. (Probably also put him in a headlock and pound on him. Maybe get a guillotine choke, too). After twenty or thirty rounds of that, Louis would be beaten up and tired enough for Rahman to start hammering him with his right hand.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3890

Voted Rahman because he was no inferior to Schmelling , but Louis has a good chance in this one.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Voted Rahman because he was no inferior to Schmelling , but Louis has a good chance in this one.
I think Ramhan was inferior to Schmelings spit bucket
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
D.T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Rahamn = Big puncher
Louis = weak chin

Big puncher + weak chin = ?
D.T is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T View Post
Rahamn = Big puncher
Louis = weak chin

Louis = better puncher

Ramhan = worse chin

But none of this is relevant since it is almost impossible to score a clean knockout in a bareknuckle fight
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Sorry, bump.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
Rahman. He's significantly bigger and stronger here. Louis wasn't a particularly mobile fighter, so Rahman could repeatedly close, throw him, and fall on him. (Probably also put him in a headlock and pound on him. Maybe get a guillotine choke, too). After twenty or thirty rounds of that, Louis would be beaten up and tired enough for Rahman to start hammering him with his right hand.
I do think you make excellent points, but there is a class factor here. Without gloves, i think Joe Louis simply goes for the finish and lands cleanly and decisively to win an early KO. Hasim will not be able to wrestle or guilitine choke. And if he does, Joe would simply take a knee and get back up and pound him again. Louis wins this easily, imo.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 AM   #12
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3890

Quote:
Rahamn = Big puncher
Louis = weak chin

The thing is that Rahman's chin was/is not one of the best , and Louis was a big puncher too , so combined with what you wrote these are the reasons to why it could really go either way. Rahman's chin is really underrated though , there were very few HWs throughout the history who could achieved what he did and I thought of the Sanders , Tua , Lewis #1 , Barrett , and a few more fights when I wrote this.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
D.T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Rahman's chin is worse than Louis'?????

HAHAHA

Joe Louis got KOed by light-punching Schmeling.

David Tua couldn't even knock Rahman DOWN. Tua would KO Louis faster than Max did.
D.T is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Louis, better fencing and body punching. He'd counter rahman and KTFO. I also think Louis is the much better infighter overall.

D.T. is a joke poster.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Rahman's chin is worse than Louis'?????

HAHAHA

Joe Louis got KOed by light-punching Schmeling.
If you think that Schmeling was a light puncher then you are following the wrong sport.

Quote:
David Tua couldn't even knock Rahman DOWN. Tua would KO Louis faster than Max did.
So now you rate their chins based on the surposed outcomes of fights that never happend?

The reality is this.

Ramhan was stoped multiple times by a single punch, while Louis was only ever stoped by sustained beatdowns from lineal champions.

Therfore we have to give the edge to Louis based on what we know.

Oh, and its largley irrelevant anyway because it is virtualy impossible to score a clean knockout in a bareknuckle fight.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum