Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Kennedy Mckinney

How good was Kennedy Mckinney? I'm currently in the process of obtaining his fight with Welcome Ncitia, otherwise I've only really seen his bouts with Marco Antonio Barrera and Junior Jones, both of which were very entertaining, competitive fights. From that limited amount of footage, I got the impression that although Mckinney was a useful offensive fighter, showing a good jab and decent power in his right hand, he did look relatively easy to hit, and didn't seem to take the shots all that well.

Are those fair assessments? Thoughts?
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kennedy Mckinney

He stood straight up for the most part, and wasn't particularly fast. He also fought in kind of a predictable rhythm, but his jab was accurate and strong, and he had very legit power in the right, as you say. As to his chin.......eh, I dunno. I wouldn't say it was horribly weak, probably average, but he got hit more than a well-schooled fighter like himself should have, so something eventually had to give.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Him psyching Junior Jones out before the fight telling him he had a china chin was hilarious.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

That whole 122 era is quite overlooked nowadays. Some very good fighters that produced some epic fights with each other. McKinney, Jones, Ncita, Bungu, etc.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

I watched the Ncita fight earlier, El. Despite a fairly dull start with Ncita proving too awkward and quick for Mckinney to really pin down, things really did hear up down the stretch. Mckinney looked all but done before finding the equalizer, and was made to look pretty ordinary through the majority. Too straight up, no footwork, and wasn't even using his jab as much as I would have thought. I didn't score it because I knew what was going to happen, but I thought Ncita had a handy lead.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I watched the Ncita fight earlier, El. Despite a fairly dull start with Ncita proving too awkward and quick for Mckinney to really pin down, things really did hear up down the stretch. Mckinney looked all but done before finding the equalizer, and was made to look pretty ordinary through the majority. Too straight up, no footwork, and wasn't even using his jab as much as I would have thought. I didn't score it because I knew what was going to happen, but I thought Ncita had a handy lead.
I think Bungu was a bit better than Ncita. More refined to his style and not quite so herky-jerky and garbled, not quite as flawed technically. Pity about his choke-job against Hamed (although I doubt he'd have ever beaten him). You oughta watch McKinney's fights with him.

McKinney was arguably the least talented of the pack, but he was perhaps the most consistent with his performances.
El Bujia is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum