Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default tell me about ike williams...

he has a great record and seemed tough as nails and could swap but ive never seen any film of him. why was he so great and how would he fare today?
shommel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: tell me about ike williams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shommel View Post
he has a great record and seemed tough as nails and could swap but ive never seen any film of him. why was he so great and how would he fare today?

This fella might help you out.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck2vad-rvcU[/ame]

There is loads of film of Williams on youtube
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Williams had a great year in 1948. He beat Kid Gavilan, Beau Jack, slick rival and top contender Enrique Bolanos and the near-great Freddie Dawson among other name fighters, going 10-0.

Comparatively, this would be akin to Roberto Duran beating Ray Leonard, Ken Buchanan, Esteban De Jesus and Ray Lampkin in one year, plus six other decent opponents.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

This should tellya everything ya wanna know about IKe Williams:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z01Ph7YkQY[/ame]
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I saw that fight in Philly, July 12,1948 in which ike williams stopped Beau Jack.
A few hours later we were arrested In Atlantic City. That fight was great,but not the arrest.
Ah, memories !!!
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I saw that fight in Philly, July 12,1948 in which ike williams stopped Beau Jack.
A few hours later we were arrested In Atlantic City. That fight was great,but not the arrest.
Ah, memories !!!
Aren't you gonna tell us what you were arrested for Burt?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Aren't you gonna tell us what you were arrested for Burt?
Hya,Al.. Well, I and my buddy as youngsters, had quite an adventure. We took a bus to Philly to watch 2 of the best lightweights I ever saw, when Ike Williams,kod Beau Jack in 1948. After the great bout, we took a bus to Atlantic City to see the famous boardwalk and steel pier. We got off the bus about 5AM,and before finding a room,we decided to see the famous Boardwalk of AC. Walking the boardwalk about 6am, a police fliver came flying towards us, stopped, told us to put our hands over our heads, roughed us up ,and threw us in the back seat. They told us to keep our mouths shut,and we tried to explain why we were on the boardwalk, to no avail. They took us to the police station,grilled us,and threw us in a compound for several hours with no explanation,but told us to "keep our traps shut ".After a couple of hours they took us in the police car ,to show us to an old couple, who were assaulted and robbed of their money by two young men, as we were. Well, the only dough we had on us was American money, and the old couple were from
Canada,who were pummeled and robbed of Canadian money, so we were finally released and told to either get a room pronto or skidoo. We were so exhausted from no sleep and being thrown in the slammer, we went to the beach before looking for a room,and woke up hours later with major sunburns
and then had to slather Noxema on our bodies,cooling us down, before we
finally got us a room. What a fight we saw in Philly, and what an adventure
we had in the hoosegow!!But Ike Williams to me is still the best lightweight
I ever saw...Cheers AF...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Hya,Al.. Well, I and my buddy as youngsters, had quite an adventure. We took a bus to Philly to watch 2 of the best lightweights I ever saw, when Ike Williams,kod Beau Jack in 1948. After the great bout, we took a bus to Atlantic City to see the famous boardwalk and steel pier. We got off the bus about 5AM,and before finding a room,we decided to see the famous Boardwalk of AC. Walking the boardwalk about 6am, a police fliver came flying towards us, stopped, told us to put our hands over our heads, roughed us up ,and threw us in the back seat. They told us to keep our mouths shut,and we tried to explain why we were on the boardwalk, to no avail. They took us to the police station,grilled us,and threw us in a compound for several hours with no explanation,but told us to "keep our traps shut ".After a couple of hours they took us in the police car ,to show us to an old couple, who were assaulted and robbed of their money by two young men, as we were. Well, the only dough we had on us was American money, and the old couple were from
Canada,who were pummeled and robbed of Canadian money, so we were finally released and told to either get a room pronto or skidoo. We were so exhausted from no sleep and being thrown in the slammer, we went to the beach before looking for a room,and woke up hours later with major sunburns
and then had to slather Noxema on our bodies,cooling us down, before we
finally got us a room. What a fight we saw in Philly, and what an adventure
we had in the hoosegow!!But Ike Williams to me is still the best lightweight
I ever saw...Cheers AF...

I had a feeling it was gonna be a wrongful arrest Burt. Sounds like it was worth the inconvenience to see the great Ike Williams.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum