Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: HBO set to start new monthly Boxing series on HBO2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
But how's giving dates to promoters with many prospects is wrong? 150k is so low that Shaw Hi, Loud Lou and Richie Rich would actually have to do their job which is to PROMOTE the show to make it profitable. Don King doesn't really work anymore and Arum just flipped to HBO, so what's wrong with these promoters getting the dates?
It's cos they're guaranteed these days and could serve up some write tosh.

Why not say to the promoters..."right we've got $150k for a show but what can you offer us in return?" And make the promoters compete or work with each other to put on the best possible fights with the money on offer.

You get this in the UK as well..some promoters are promised dates by Sky and then put on rubbish fights that no one wants to see.
ishy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
But how's giving dates to promoters with many prospects is wrong? 150k is so low that Shaw Hi, Loud Lou and Richie Rich would actually have to do their job which is to PROMOTE the show to make it profitable. Don King doesn't really work anymore and Arum just flipped to HBO, so what's wrong with these promoters getting the dates?

Its the gauranteed dates that I see as the problem. When each of these three promoters are gauranteed dates you are only goint to get the best card that the promoter and HBO are willing to agree to. If you make the date open to all promoters then you get competition for that date which will drive the quality up.

I think we will end up with a lot of showcase fights where each promoter will try to get their guy on HBO against the least dangerous opponent HBO will approve. HBO is basically eliminating competition for these dates and that makes little sense. And I'm sure Top Rank and HBO will work together plenty in the future and Don King has slowed down but he still has some talent on his roster.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
I love the idea of showcasing promising young fighters, but like everyone else, I hate the idea of guaranteed dates for promoters. If HBO wants to do this right, they should forget favoring certain promoters and hire an independent talent scout.

Its seems so simple: HBO says we have this date and this amount of money now who is willing to offer what. Then the promoters offer what they can do and HBO picks the best from all the offers or uses the best offer as a bargaining tool with the other promoters to counter offer. I also love the idea of showcasing young talent and I'm sure we will get some good match ups but HBO takes a good idea and then handicaps itself by eliminating competition for those dates.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
But how's giving dates to promoters with many prospects is wrong?
It's wrong because HBO are committing to buying fights which could potentially wind up being unworthy of the license fee they'll be paying. I could understand the deal had the matches been predetermined, but that's not the case here. Basically HBO is agreeing to televise Prospect vs. TBA, when TBA could end up being some talentless unheralded journeyman, who'd they be forced to put on due to their output deal with whichever promoter they promised the date to.

Quote:
150k is so low that Shaw Hi, Loud Lou and Richie Rich would actually have to do their job which is to PROMOTE the show to make it profitable. Don King doesn't really work anymore and Arum just flipped to HBO, so what's wrong with these promoters getting the dates?
Or they'd simply just throw their prospects in with no-hopers for short money. While it may not be a huge amount of money, $150k is still a lot more significant than what promoters are getting in their deals from FNF and Shobox.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul_ir34 View Post
Nice!!

Would this be on Fridays like Shobox??
Not sure yet, the article didn't give a whole lot of details. But I would hope it's not on Fridays or Saturdays, so it doesn't clash with other shows on ESPN2, Showtime, FSN, etc.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
cippi
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 10627

sweeet!!! hbo realized the ppl are starting to like showtime more so they gotta step there game up!!!
cippi is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987

prove that competition is good
nip102 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #23
Big Dunk
Rob Palmer
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

If you get say....Fernando Guererro vs Giovanni Lorenzo thats ok. IF we get Fernando Guererro vs a journeyman bum its not ok.
Big Dunk is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #24
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan Maxx View Post
Basically HBO is agreeing to televise Prospect vs. TBA, when TBA could end up being some talentless unheralded journeyman, who'd they be forced to put on due to their output deal with whichever promoter they promised the date to.
I don't think that's the case. Even with dates guaranteed HBO turned down a great deal of opponents lately, and when Arum sticked to Cotto-Mayorga, HBO rather pulled the plug entirely and came up with a better fight. So I'd assume they won't just hand out $150k and not have a word on the opponent. Is there anything that indicates otherwise?
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #25
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987

Quote:
I don't think that's the case. Even with dates guaranteed HBO turned down a great deal of opponents lately, and when Arum sticked to Cotto-Mayorga, HBO rather pulled the plug entirely and came up with a better fight. So I'd assume they won't just hand out $150k and not have a word on the opponent. Is there anything that indicates otherwise?
andre bertos whole career plus matthew hatton in a mainevent.hbo is not consistent in the way it deals with promoters and dates
nip102 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nip102 View Post
andre bertos whole career plus matthew hatton in a mainevent.hbo is not consistent in the way it deals with promoters and dates
True, but they are much better lately, they pushed through a lot of solid fights like Williams-Martinez II, Martinez-Dzinziruk, Bradley-Alexander, Khan-Maidana, and turned down many others. I agree with Berto, but not entirerly with Alvarez-Matton. That was on Boxing After Dark which was always for lower caliber fights and nothing wrong with a 20yo prospect facing the European WW champion. What was insulting was the WBC's decision to make it a world title fight at LMW, but Matthew gave a fair account of himself, people found out some flaws in Alvarez' game while a huge crowd was entertained plus it drew good ratings - hardly a bad night for boxing at all.
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hope its better than KO Nation.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum