Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Evening World scored Langford a *shutout* over Joe Gans. Sam was 17 at the ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
this is a question for everyone on this thread: do you think ketchel was past his prime or that he could have recovered sufficiently to still be the force of old (or even better)?
From what I know, Ketchell was already planning on retirement, as he was already pretty used up both mentally and physically due to a combo of in-ring wear and tear and outside factors such as addictive drug use.

Quote:
when i first read about ketchel, most of the material i saw felt that he had yet to reach his prime at 24. thoughts?
Typical yellow journalism jotted down well afterwards to propel legends and bring an air of mystique to the topic. Kinda like the Bible.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default Re: The Evening World scored Langford a *shutout* over Joe Gans. Sam was 17 at the ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
From what I know, Ketchell was already planning on retirement, as he was already pretty used up both mentally and physically due to a combo of in-ring wear and tear and outside factors such as addictive drug use.

Typical yellow journalism jotted down well afterwards to propel legends and bring an air of mystique to the topic. Kinda like the Bible.
thanks for the post el

beat up any drug dealers lately?
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Nope, but I've recently joined a gang of roaming Tom Brokaws:

BORKED
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Wow brilliant stuff from Sam. I confess I've never really been as interested in his career relative to how much press he gets on this forum but this win seriously intrigues me. I'll have to look to his record more.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
I tend to think the next 30 years for the division was just as good or better. But then I guess noone really reigned supreme in those years save maybe Greb.
Sullivan, Papke and Kelly were the top three when Ketchel swept into the division for real. They also seem, all, to have been top 15 pound for pound types, keep in mind that Palke was number three when Ketchel was number four. Kelly and Sullivan were the 1 and 2. Sullivan seemed to have been pound for pound top 3, 4. Ketchel knocked all of three of these ****ing guys out in one year.

Quote:
As an aside regarding the thread title, how highly do you rate the Gans win given the circumstances? Gans obviously wasn't in top form, and from I understand (according to Senya) the win has been propped up a lot more since, whereas at the time it wasn't considered nearly as highly. I'm assuming that would have to do with Gans's condition.
That win developed a fair bit of paper. I haven't done anything like the work that Senya has done, but i've had a reasonable look into this fight, and one other fight, the first between Gans and McFadden. Gans-Langford produced just as much paper as Gans-McFadden. Keep in mind that McFadden was white. There was some noise about this fight.

I'd agree that it's bigger in retrospect, but what does that really matter in the final analysis?

Gans was not in condition, but some sources have him being totally out-classed by a teenager. An under-par Pacquiao being out-classed by a 17 year old?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The last letter Ketchel ever wrote talks about how he is through with boxing and has purchased land around Springfield Mo where intends to open a ranch and lumber concern.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I don't see how you can say that Ketchel was his equal when more bystanders considered him beaten than not?

EDIT: Ah, sorry, misread. The weight.

Bit of a reach that Burt, but not the worst thing I ever heard. Langford would have struggled with the weight anyway I guess.
Mc, Stanley Ketchel's fighting prime was abut 154-58 pounds. He was considered by every sportswriter of his time as the greatest middleweight
of his time, [excluding Fitz, a physical freak] and beyond Ketchels time.We today,should place much credence to eyewitnesses who saw the great Ketchel in his prime. A great alltime middleweight who except for 2 films of him we see today,of beating Billy Papke,in 1909 when Stanley broke a bone in his hand,and still won a TWENTY round decision, and of course the fiasco against Jack Johnson ,nine months before Ketchel was shot and killed by Walter Dipley in 1910. We have no films of Ketchel flattening 49 opponents
in his violent career. Therefore we must judge the Michigan Assassin by
his record and the opinions of great boxing writers as Hype Igoe,Damon
Runyon, Bob Edgren, Nat Fleischer,Phil Jack O;Brien, all who saw Ketchel and
praised him to the skies. As I do.
Sam Langford might have been a greater P4P fighter than Ketchel,but not as
a 158 pound middleweight. Langford was a bigger framed fighter, as Archie Moore was a bigger framed fighter than Ray Robinson, of later years.
As posted before Langford had about 12-15 pounds on Ketchel, lest we forget
Cheers M...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Mc, Stanley Ketchel's fighting prime was abut 154-58 pounds. He was considered by every sportswriter of his time as the greatest middleweight
of his time, [excluding Fitz, a physical freak] and beyond Ketchels time.We today,should place much credence to eyewitnesses who saw the great Ketchel in his prime. A great alltime middleweight who except for 2 films of him we see today,of beating Billy Papke,in 1909 when Stanley broke a bone in his hand,and still won a TWENTY round decision, and of course the fiasco against Jack Johnson ,nine months before Ketchel was shot and killed by Walter Dipley in 1910. We have no films of Ketchel flattening 49 opponents
in his violent career. Therefore we must judge the Michigan Assassin by
his record and the opinions of great boxing writers as Hype Igoe,Damon
Runyon, Bob Edgren, Nat Fleischer,Phil Jack O;Brien, all who saw Ketchel and
praised him to the skies. As I do.
Sam Langford might have been a greater P4P fighter than Ketchel,but not as
a 158 pound middleweight. Langford was a bigger framed fighter, as Archie Moore was a bigger framed fighter than Ray Robinson, of later years.
As posted before Langford had about 12-15 pounds on Ketchel, lest we forget
Cheers M...
so at 158 pounds, you would say ketchel was langfords better? admittedly, langfords prime weight was a touch heavier from my understanding but you would say at the middleweight limit, the michigan assassin was the better?
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

good win, but gans wasn't properly prepared. he got exposed for taking langford lightly, but take him lightly he did.
goat15 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #25
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
so at 158 pounds, you would say ketchel was langfords better? admittedly, langfords prime weight was a touch heavier from my understanding but you would say at the middleweight limit, the michigan assassin was the better?
J,who is to say how would the 158 pound Sam Langford fared against the prime middleweight Ketchel.? In 1908 Langford fought Joe Jeannette at 165 pounds. He was morphing into a 180-85 pound fighter, and getting down to 158 pounds,against Ketchel in 1909, might have weakened Sam, just as Jake LaMotta,was weakened greatly losing 10 pounds just before his ko at the hands of Ray Robinson in 1951. Take care...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tip the hat to also to George Barton who stated long ago in his book that Sam was all time number 1 Lt Heavy.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
SLAKKA is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum