Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Who can dethrone jones?
Machida 33 40.74%
Shogun 2 2.47%
Evans 7 8.64%
Henderson 14 17.28%
Couture 1 1.23%
Rampage 11 13.58%
Mousasi 9 11.11%
Ortiz 1 1.23%
Feijao 0 0%
Others 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #16
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 441
Default Re: Which of these light heavyweights has the best chance to beat jones?

You forgot to add King Mo.
Anarchy99 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Which of these light heavyweights has the best chance to beat jones?

Phil Davis a few fights down the line.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #18
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

I give Rampage a good chance of KO'ing every 205 lb'er in the world on his night so he got my vote .

Stylistically Machida may have the best chance , outside of those i dont see anybody beating him !!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Phil Davis maybe, we haven't seen his full potential yet and he looks very good. If Mousasi had a decent takedown defence I'd give him a great shot, but Jones is a horrible style match for him. His wrestling is just as good as King Mo's, but his attacks from the top are ten times as vicious.

I don't know about Machida. I think he's lost a lot of his confidence after Shogun II and Rampage. The Couture fight will tell us something about where he is as a fighter.

And there is always Anderson Silva, if he moves up to 205lbs.
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #20
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Machida has the best shot, because of his style but I don't see him eluding Jones for a full 5 rounds, or catching him with something to hurt him.

I don't think anybody beats Jones actually, I don't even think anyone will last 5 rounds with the guy. He's too strong, too athletic, too dynamic.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #21
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Machida has the best shot, because of his style but I don't see him eluding Jones for a full 5 rounds, or catching him with something to hurt him.

I don't think anybody beats Jones actually, I don't even think anyone will last 5 rounds with the guy. He's too strong, too athletic, too dynamic.
Thats exactly the point , he basically picked Shogun Rua apart on the feet by using his athletic prowess to a) take him down and b) tire him out using his top game , its a scary concept !!!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

None, Machida has the best shot at lasting the 5 full rounds. His strategy works. Shogun had the best gameplan of being more patient than him and with his non attacking style, it made him tentative and cost him.

Problem with Jones is his reach is immense. Playing counter puncher to a guy who you cant reach is a non winning formula.

As elusive as Machidas style is and as risk averse he is, if Jones decides to engage, I really dont know if he can fend him off.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Belfort View Post
Including the strikeforce light heavyweights

Randy Couture
Phil Davis
Rashad Evans--fighting jones next
Rampage jackson
Lyoto Machida
Shogun Rua--if he gets another shot
Lil Nog
Tito Ortiz

strikeforce
Dan Henderson- SF 205 lbs champion
Mike Kyle
King Mo
Babalu
Mousasi
Feijao
I meant to vote Machida, but clicked Rua instead.

But those are the two I would pick out anyway.

Rua will be a different animal entirely a couple more fights into this comeback from surgery.

Machida will test Jones in ways he hasn't been tested before because of his speed, movement and elusiveness.

Other than those two, the only guy I give a prayer is Hendo, because of his chin, wrestling credentials, and proven power.

I wouldn't make even any of these three a favourite against him though.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #24
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
None, Machida has the best shot at lasting the 5 full rounds. His strategy works. Shogun had the best gameplan of being more patient than him and with his non attacking style, it made him tentative and cost him.

Problem with Jones is his reach is immense. Playing counter puncher to a guy who you cant reach is a non winning formula.

As elusive as Machidas style is and as risk averse he is, if Jones decides to engage, I really dont know if he can fend him off.
Good analysis.
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #25
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Punch KO View Post
Good analysis.
I just tell the truth. I love boxing and MMA fans still cant grasp the styles matchup thing. I got laughed at in these same forum when I said that Chael would put a beating on Silva based on "styles" and that it would be pretty much one sided. I was pretty much the only one if you pull that thread up.

I dont live in nostalgia but while picking fights can be tough like Edgar/Penn, there are some obvious analysis that can be made. I tell you one thing now, if Cain and Overeem fights, Cain will take Reem down at will and pretty much dominate him like that unless he clips him on the takedown attemp. And I love Reem.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarman View Post
I would favour Machida and Anderson Silva. Hendo and Rampage are close fights.
yea i like machida's style against jones. I didn't include silva because his a middleweight for now but i hope he goes up and fight jones @ 205. I give hendo and rampage a puncher's chance against jones.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #27
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I meant to vote Machida, but clicked Rua instead.

But those are the two I would pick out anyway.

Rua will be a different animal entirely a couple more fights into this comeback from surgery.

Machida will test Jones in ways he hasn't been tested before because of his speed, movement and elusiveness.

Other than those two, the only guy I give a prayer is Hendo, because of his chin, wrestling credentials, and proven power.

I wouldn't make even any of these three a favourite against him though.
yea machida and rua when his 100% would give jones a good challenge. Hendo even @ 40 yrs old still has a puncher's chance and is a good wrestler himself.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #28
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post
You forgot to add King Mo.
yea i could only put 10 names so king mo would be included in other section.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Phil Davis a few fights down the line.
Haven't seen much of phil davis lately. I'm gonna watch him fight next week i believe when he takes on lil noguiera.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #30
Mike W
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Rashad Evans is the best Lightheavyweight fighter in MMA. I knew that for a long time. He has what it takes to be the UFC Heavyweight Champion as well
Mike W is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum