Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #106
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between the Alpha and the Omega
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy63x1BQ_jg[/ame]
El Puma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #107
PeckhamBoxer
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

This was a good read. I have been doing strength conditioning for 6 years .For the first 4 and a half years i was street fighting and wrestling. I did some TKD and kung fu then breakdancing! I did only endurance training as i was ignorant and thought it was all about reps. I could do around 200 pushups .Now only around 70 if i push but i was so much weaker with 200 endurance. I am 20 now and much wiser. For the last year i only did strength and power and am still learning. And must say the HSPU with full Rom is great. But what is the best set and rep range for pure power?
PeckhamBoxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #108
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between the Alpha and the Omega
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckhamBoxer View Post
This was a good read. I have been doing strength conditioning for 6 years .For the first 4 and a half years i was street fighting and wrestling. I did some TKD and kung fu then breakdancing! I did only endurance training as i was ignorant and thought it was all about reps. I could do around 200 pushups .Now only around 70 if i push but i was so much weaker with 200 endurance. I am 20 now and much wiser. For the last year i only did strength and power and am still learning. And must say the HSPU with full Rom is great. But what is the best set and rep range for pure power?
From the Gym Jones website.


1-4 reps increase pure strength but do not increase muscle mass 4-9 reps increase strength together with muscle mass 10-15 reps increase muscular strength, muscular endurance and muscle mass 16-30 reps increase muscular endurance with little to no increase in muscle mass 31-50 reps increase muscular endurance with no effect on muscle mass 50-100 reps increase muscular endurance, cardio-respiratory endurance, and there will be a possible loss of muscle mass (or fat) but absolutely no increase in strength
El Puma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #109
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,419
vCash: 500
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
From the Gym Jones website.


1-4 reps increase pure strength but do not increase muscle mass 4-9 reps increase strength together with muscle mass 10-15 reps increase muscular strength, muscular endurance and muscle mass 16-30 reps increase muscular endurance with little to no increase in muscle mass 31-50 reps increase muscular endurance with no effect on muscle mass 50-100 reps increase muscular endurance, cardio-respiratory endurance, and there will be a possible loss of muscle mass (or fat) but absolutely no increase in strength
i've read in quite a few places that slow, controlled push ups are the way to go for strength gain, so by that theory the 10-15 reps are the best option?
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #110
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between the Alpha and the Omega
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNoyFightFanUSN View Post
i've read in quite a few places that slow, controlled push ups are the way to go for strength gain, so by that theory the 10-15 reps are the best option?
Nope. Once you can do more than 10 pushups , elevate your feet and make them harder. Once that gets easier, work on one arm push up static holds ( holding the locked position for as long as you can) Then progress to partial rep one armed pushups. I used a phone book under my chest to assist me.

You can also work on handstand push ups against the wall.

For pure strength gain, 1-5 reps max did it for me.
El Puma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #111
cockneyhardman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 143
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

i can see how great strength gains in the arms and upper body (chest,shoulders,lats, upper back), are beneficial for wrestling, ju jitsu ,MMA, but not boxing

i would think that core strength and leg strength are far more important
cockneyhardman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #112
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 166
vCash: 1344
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****neyhardman View Post
i can see how great strength gains in the arms and upper body (chest,shoulders,lats, upper back), are beneficial for wrestling, ju jitsu ,MMA, but not boxing

i would think that core strength and leg strength are far more important

Every muscle is important in boxing.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #113
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

Bits and Bobs [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmsGvy0WlVI[/ame]
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #114
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKgJzZQFHU&NR=1[/ame]
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #115
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEOYMP7QnDI&feature=related[/ame]
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #116
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between the Alpha and the Omega
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength conditioning for boxing

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
El Puma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #117
Mr Applebee
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 341
vCash: 973
Default Re: El Puma's strength conditioning thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
Thank you. No, but I have used these techniques and have gotten great results in a short amount of time. I will also be posting routines that I have modified from Spetsnaz and other Special op based training.

Using these programs motivates me to reach a level of fitness that world class military operators and elite level combat athletes have acquired. We all take different paths to get the same results as long as the core basics of the training are in place.

1. Do not train to failure for strength

2. Variety

3. Short and intense

4. Rest and nutrition.

5. Consistency
Definatly going to try this routine so thanks. Could you explain why not to train to failure for strength?? I dont dount you, its just that ive always been told the opposite.

Thanks
Mr Applebee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #118
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Default Re: El Puma's strength conditioning thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Applebee View Post
Definatly going to try this routine so thanks. Could you explain why not to train to failure for strength?? I dont dount you, its just that ive always been told the opposite.

Thanks
Some people seem to think that for some reason. It's false. Train to failure. Almost all exercises except those where you lose form by going to failure (i.e. pullups) are fine going to failure, to a point.

I often go to failure on dips, bench, squat, power cleans, and pushups. Never pullups, always go until I know my form will be off. People seem to think that because your muscles tire more when training to failure and you can't do as much weight for the following sets, you will not gain as much strength. That's bullshit. Just compensate with more rest between sets, and you should still be able to lift heavy and make significant gains.

Source: I do this for a living
MURDR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #119
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between the Alpha and the Omega
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: El Puma's strength conditioning thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
Some people seem to think that for some reason. It's false. Train to failure. Almost all exercises except those where you lose form by going to failure (i.e. pullups) are fine going to failure, to a point.

I often go to failure on dips, bench, squat, power cleans, and pushups. Never pullups, always go until I know my form will be off. People seem to think that because your muscles tire more when training to failure and you can't do as much weight for the following sets, you will not gain as much strength. That's bullshit. Just compensate with more rest between sets, and you should still be able to lift heavy and make significant gains.

Source: I do this for a living
Do what exactly? All I see is you making rather unmemorable threads and could you please link a source to your claim of going to failure provides strength gain when anything over 5-6 is considered endurance territory?
El Puma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #120
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between the Alpha and the Omega
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: El Puma's strength conditioning thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Applebee View Post
Definatly going to try this routine so thanks. Could you explain why not to train to failure for strength?? I dont dount you, its just that ive always been told the opposite.

Thanks
"Strength gains come from training the CNS to fire more efficiently. When you train to failure, form generally begins to break down, poor form means less efficient CNS adaptation. So if you train to failure its better to do so for higher reps to support the hypertrophy gains associated with a higher rep range.

With strength training ie 1-6 reps. Training to failure can be done, in fact its good to fail with a weight every now and then to push your body past what it has ever done before but more importantly to identify weaknesses in strength/form so you can focus assistance work on those weaknesses.
But with good form and progression, for optimal strength gains its better to stay clear of failure as the most important thing is to lift with correct form to 'learn' the movement and continually improve both in weight lifted and form efficiency. Doing 5x5 you might start off with a weight you can lift for 8 reps. But come the 5th set its just about 5 reps. Using 3 sets of 5 you can be a bit more optimistic and train nearer failure ie lifiting a weight on the first set that you would usually get 6-7 reps with fresh. Strength training is all about the CNS and making the muscles fire more efficiently to work together in the lift. Training to failure means a muscle or 2 in that system wont be contributing efficiently, you might identify a weakness but every lift can be learnt and progressed in by not training to failure in the lower rep ranges.

My definition of failure for the means of the above is training beyond your muscular capabilities ie requiring a spot to lift the weight concentrically. If you can get a rep with good form and only just do it and know another rep isnt possible then thats good training."
El Puma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013