Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: If the greats had lost their controversial wins, would they still be great?

If it worked both ways, meaning the greats would win their controversial losses, then Kid Gavilan's record would look completely different. He won a couple he shouldn't have, but he lost a lot more than he should have won.
Manassa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #17
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If the greats had lost their controversial wins, would they still be great?

Langford--I think a knockout defeat to Levine would really look bad regardless of the 130-3, even if erased in a rematch. It would be the first thing to look at if evaluating Robinson.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
SgrRyLeonard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Sugar Ray Leonard wouldn't be as high in a p4p sense if Hagler had gotten the decision, however his standing as an all time WELTERWEIGHT would remain the same. Anybody know how controversial Robinson's decision victory over Marty Servo in their rematch was considered to be at the time?
SgrRyLeonard is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

This is a simple statement on my part...But greatness stands the test of time...No matter what MAY have happened, or what DID happen in the careers of ATG's...They proved their worthiness as they continued on with their careers, no matter what setbacks they encountered...
PS. I'm not English, but please no more about the Queen having balls...Ugh...that's strange.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
Langford
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
Langford--I think a knockout defeat to Levine would really look bad regardless of the 130-3, even if erased in a rematch. It would be the first thing to look at if evaluating Robinson.

it wouldn't look great for that fight, but with the amount of quality wins that SRR amassed...
Langford is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #21
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think the levine fight does make me question robinsons standing,especially at middleweight. I know its unfashionable and sacreligious but i think robinson 'could' be vulnerable to great punchers at 147 and 160....
Robinson would still be considered an atg,but i dont think he would be p4p no 1 and 'modern' people would continually cite the levine fight as evidence of his susceptibility....Its different with lennox as he was a heavyweight and fought many other great punchers with no ill effects...
Consider roy jones if he had retired after the first tarver win,many would say he was a candidate for p4p no 1 of all time, but when he was iced by tarver and further iced by glencoffe his atg status went down quicker than devine brown at a hugh grant convention.
Tommy hearns is lowered in many lists because of his stoppage losses,ignoring the fact that this guy had skills on a par with robinson and anyone in history and had some great wins and performances against atgs,and would likely have beaten many past atgs in fine style....
enquirer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum