Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #31
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Ezzard Charles be regarded as one of the greatest punchers?

Everyone keeps mentioning power, but I don't believe that's as big a factor in 'great punching' as placement. I wouldn't describe Ray Robinson as a heavy hitter either, just one who knew where his targets were and timed it well.

Just so people know where I stand; I think Walcott definitely hit harder than Charles and was trickier with a single shot; however, Charles hit with a good amount of power at heavyweight and was even stronger at 175lbs. In contrast to Walcott, who was a mover, a trickster and a Eubank-esque 'wait for it' kind of single shot surprise attacker, Charles was a more flowing, consistent combination puncher, and at the lighter weight class, was more dangerous.

Whether Charles was the best puncher at light heavyweight, I don't know. There are a lot of good ones to choose from; Moore (who'd be my #5 or 6 all-time hitter), Foster, Langford, Fitzsimmons, Spinks, Jones, Moorer - all bangers.

Definitely up there though, and anyone who strongly disagrees must also disagree with Robinson's consensus placement, because there are a lot of parallels between them. You could argue that Robinson stopped a few more durable opponents, but that Charles got to a few slicker ones.
Manassa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #32
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

No. Not p4p or his division(s).
LongJab is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #33
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
why wasnt he able to get a shot at the light-heavy title ?
'Reluctant' Gus Lesnevich

Over the weekend I'll put some fight reports up on here, attesting Charles' power.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #34
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Everyone keeps mentioning power, but I don't believe that's as big a factor in 'great punching' as placement. I wouldn't describe Ray Robinson as a heavy hitter either, just one who knew where his targets were and timed it well.

Just so people know where I stand; I think Walcott definitely hit harder than Charles and was trickier with a single shot; however, Charles hit with a good amount of power at heavyweight and was even stronger at 175lbs. In contrast to Walcott, who was a mover, a trickster and a Eubank-esque 'wait for it' kind of single shot surprise attacker, Charles was a more flowing, consistent combination puncher, and at the lighter weight class, was more dangerous.

Whether Charles was the best puncher at light heavyweight, I don't know. There are a lot of good ones to choose from; Moore (who'd be my #5 or 6 all-time hitter), Foster, Langford, Fitzsimmons, Spinks, Jones, Moorer - all bangers.

Definitely up there though, and anyone who strongly disagrees must also disagree with Robinson's consensus placement, because there are a lot of parallels between them. You could argue that Robinson stopped a few more durable opponents, but that Charles got to a few slicker ones.
"His hands look like the go off automatically," Floyd Patterson ,talking about Robinson
Boucher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum