Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
shinobi108
*** Eritrea Pride ***
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Is Floyd Mayweather the only two time 'lineal' welterweight champion in history?

he became lineal when he beat baldomir and mosley who both held the lineal welterweight championship if you track it back to the 90's.

Also is Mayweather the only guy to hold the WBC title in 5 weight divisions? most say the WBC next to the ring magazine is the highest ranked championship of the soup titles
shinobi108 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Default Re: Is Floyd Mayweather the only two time 'lineal' welterweight champion in history?

Leonard beat Benitez, then beat Duran in their rematch. Both for the linear welterweight title.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Rexrapper 1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 499
Default Re: Is Floyd Mayweather the only two time 'lineal' welterweight champion in history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi108 View Post
he became lineal when he beat baldomir and mosley who both held the lineal welterweight championship if you track it back to the 90's.

Also is Mayweather the only guy to hold the WBC title in 5 weight divisions? most say the WBC next to the ring magazine is the highest ranked championship of the soup titles
Dang who is that in your avatar? I don't know if Mosley counts as lineal. The last lineal champ was Floyd before he retired. Floyd is the first fighter to win 5 WBC titles though.
Rexrapper 1 is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Ringnut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 583

I don't think Mosley was lineal champ though, he was ranked number 1 but not the champ.
Ringnut is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675

Technically Mosley was not the lineal champ. I think they were seriously thinking about making Mosley-Margarito for the lineal title but it didnt happen for some reason. I believe he should have been since Margo cleaned house at 147 and Mosley beat him but technically technically he wasnt.
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Mosley was clearly the lineal champ. The only reason at the time of Cotto-Margo not to call the winner lineal champ was that Mosley was around so they weren't clearly no1 and no2, but then Shane beat the winner of that fight so it's hard to argue with it - he was the lineal champ.
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
hussleman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mosley, was clearly the linear champ at the time Floyd fought him.
hussleman is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lloyd the Ragamuffin Man Honeyghan was a 2 time Linear Welterweight champion of the world and was the undisputed Welterweight champion of the world when he destroyed the great Don Curry.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 5000

No, he's not even close to the record also.

Jack Britton, Billy Conn and Ted Lewis in the early 1900's all won the lineal title (there was only one ) multiple times by beating eachother over and over again. I don't know how much exactly, but I believe Britton had the most (6 or something).

edit: don't know how I got Billy Conn (he was a LHW ) mixed into this, it was another hall of famer don't know wich one.

Last edited by Robney; 03-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Robney is online now  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi108 View Post

Not sure about that, the WBC is somewhat a joke at the minute. Same with the WBA. I guess the WBO and IBF aren't much better either but I think they're the superior titles at the minute personally.

As stated Leonard is a two time linear welterweight champion. Jose Napoles was a three time linear champion I believe.
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
causality
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringnut View Post
I don't think Mosley was lineal champ though, he was ranked number 1 but not the champ.
He wasn't even ranked number 1. He was number 2. I'm talking about the ring rankings of course.
causality is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
hussleman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Here's your answer right here. Yep Floyd is the linear TWICE!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
hussleman is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

as robney said, even if floyd was MANY other fighters were lineal twice before him. mosley wasn't lineal but his fight with floyd COULD have been for that right. not sure to be honest, but it's been done before
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 5000

If Floyd wasn't so overly concerned about his "0", he might even have been 3 or 4 times the lineal welter champ by now. If he just fought his opponents instead of talking about them, and take a loss here and there.
Robney is online now  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

Nope. Mosley wasn't lineal, no matter if he became the number 1 guy. Floyd never really retired so he kept it.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum