Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: who achieved the most, pound for pound?
Ali 23 11.79%
Armstrong 9 4.62%
Charles 2 1.03%
Fitzsimmons 8 4.10%
Greb 30 15.38%
Langford 7 3.59%
Moore 0 0%
Pep 5 2.56%
Robinson 86 44.10%
Other 25 12.82%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #76
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: who is the greatest of all time? vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Way too many votes for Ali. He's beating Langford in the poll.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Fitzsimmons should not be getting votes either, no surprise on who voted for him there (I get Boilermaker but Mendoza had to vote for the white guy, and not even Greb?).
Fitzsimmons is almost as great as Langford... Defeated Dempsey and Corbett, won the middle, heavy and then lightheavy title. Held his own with serious, dangerous heavies while being a lightheavy. Pound for Pound perhaps the hardest puncher who ever lived. He is rightfully in the argument of greatest of all time.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #77
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I agree that Fitz is right in the argument, no question.

Ali, I guess people just love to be blown away. A lot of people don't give a shit about resume and all that there and why would they? Lots of guys just like to be amazed, and Ali is pretty amazing.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #78
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Fitzsimmons is almost as great as Langford... Defeated Dempsey and Corbett, won the middle, heavy and then lightheavy title. Held his own with serious, dangerous heavies while being a lightheavy. Pound for Pound perhaps the hardest puncher who ever lived. He is rightfully in the argument of greatest of all time.
Longevity should also be acknowledged when considering Fitz. As hard as he hit, he won his third title at age 40 in a strange new way, by going over six rounds longer than he had ever gone before to win a 20 round decision. (Is he the oldest to ever win a title fight over that distance?) His last great win was a monster.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #79
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Longevity should also be acknowledged when considering Fitz. As hard as he hit, he won his third title at age 40 in a strange new way, by going over six rounds longer than he had ever gone before to win a 20 round decision. (Is he the oldest to ever win a title fight over that distance?) His last great win was a monster.

Good post.

Janitor has it nailed as far as Fitz goes. The more you dig, the deeper the rabbit hole goes. I think he's right in the mix.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #80
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Sugar Ray Robinson, followed closely by Harry Greb.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #81
eslubin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Fitz was the early version of Archie Moore

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgyiLLaLXcY[/ame]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
eslubin is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #82
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
He wasnt consistent at middleweight, that was a major problem throughout his middleweight career. It is understandable, because he was the greatest welterweight ever (probably) but not the greatest middleweight ever, although still probably one of the 10 greatest ever. Hagler had the better middleweight career adn probably would have beaten Robinson, quite possibly by stoppage.

La motta wasnt anywhere near as good as Hagler, imo, and neither were any of the fighters who beat Robinson, with the possible exception of Joey Maxim whose weight and size may have posed Hagler problems because of the unknown factor, but probably wouldnt have.

Robinson was a great fighter, but as a middleweight it is pretty clear that he wasnt the greatest ever.
Whats wrong with you ?... seriously

Wtf does consistency have to do with anything in a 1 off fight at their MW best ?

Im talking both at their best, on top form, respecting the opponent & coming in 100%.

Since we are on the subject, Robinson never showed any inconsistency until the Turpin fight, his 1 loss in over 120 odd fights came vs a MW Lamotta when Ray was a WW, Ray won the series 5-1 & stopped Lamotta in their last & most important fight for the MW title... that version of Robinson beats any version of Hagler because he was just outright better, thats what Im saying.

Please tell me Ive been clear this time ?
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #83
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

****off

Last edited by Bill Butcher; 03-24-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #84
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

delete
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #85
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Whats wrong with you ?... seriously

Wtf does consistency have to do with anything in a 1 off fight at their MW best ?

Im talking both at their best, on top form, respecting the opponent & coming in 100%.

Since we are on the subject, Robinson never showed any inconsistency until the Turpin fight, his 1 loss in over 120 odd fights came vs a MW Lamotta when Ray was a WW, Ray won the series 5-1 & stopped Lamotta in their last & most important fight for the MW title... that version of Robinson beats any version of Hagler because he was just outright better, thats what Im saying.

Please tell me Ive been clear this time ?
So you are saying that you are picking your greatest fighter of all time, based on what they did (or were capable of doing on their very best night?).

Okay, that is a different proposition to what I have thought, so yes this time you may have been clearer. To be clear, Buster Douglas rates much higher under this system. Jimmy Braddock, i presume, also comes right up into calculations on a pound for pound basis on your list. Still, irrelevant, but i guess we have the criteria you are talking about right.

I agree that Ray vs Hagler is a close pick them fight. I have said this, even though i think Hagler will knock him out. In fact, Hagler vs Turpin, Lamotta possibly even Servo or Levine might also be close fights where Hagler certainly isnt 100% guaranteed to win. (Same with Duran, Hearns etc by the way). Hagler has the better record at middleweight. He is the stronger fighter, has the better proven chin, is naturally bigger, while i havent checked, i assume he does better on tale of the tape and reach but coudl be wrong. In fairness, Sugar has probably an advantage in technique and in speed certainly.

As i stated with regards to inconsistency, i am talking only in the company of all time greats. Ray was not inconsistent compared to mere mortals or even lower top 10 middleweights. By inconsistent, i am also talking in delivering results also, not necessarilly performances, since (like for example Ali in fight of the century) Rays "inconsistent" performances were actually still very good performances that most fighters would not be capable of putting in.

My problem with Ray is not that he wasnt great, because he clearly was. It is just that he wasnt as outstandingly great compared to other great fighters as many people think. Strangely enough, i think that a lot (though definitely not all) of this has to do with the media and his promotion in it as the greatest of all time. His wonderful welterweight record (which again doesnt suggest that he outclasses every other welter that ever lived, though he very well might) helps his middleweight record immensely when it perhaps should not . As a middleweight, he was the best fighter of his time but he was nowhere near as dominant compared to say Monzon, Greb, Fitzsimmons or Hagler in each's own time. If you want to say he is greater than these then you have to rely on your own vision, favourtism and instincts and invent critera such as i think he would beat these guys on his best night.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #86
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Janitor has it nailed as far as Fitz goes. The more you dig, the deeper the rabbit hole goes. I think he's right in the mix.
Janitor is 100% right. It isnt that long ago, that i doubt i would have even considered putting Fitz in the top 10, and i now drive everyone mad about his greatness. And i dont know anybody at all, who has started to dig a bit deeper on him who hasnt had to stop and admit that there ranking of him has to improve considerably.

While jumping into the rabbit hole, here is something that most people (not necessarilly you) will not have realised, but it is right in front of you. Under modern rules, Fitz did more damage to Jeffries than Lennox Lewis did to Vitali Klitchsko. Therefore, under modern rules, he almost certainly has two wins over the giant sized Jim Jeffries, as a light heavyweight. Wins which would probably go down as the greatest light heavyweight and possibly pound for pound win ever. His resume doesnt stand on it, of course, but those 2 performances is probably as impressive a performance from anyone who is old and past prime, as has ever been fought.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #87
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

according to the votes, the following have the best claim to being number one:

1. robinson
2. greb
3. ali
4. langford
5. armstrong
6. fitzsimmons
6. pep
8. charles

twenty votes for others.

ali seems to be the main 'surprise'. it would be good if some of the thirteen who voted for him could present their cases for ali being the pound for pound greatest.
goat15 is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #88
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Robinson. What he achieved in terms of polished skill set, resume, titles and recognition was just amazing.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #89
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650

I've read "Sugar Ray" but reading The Fearless Harry Greb and Give him to the Angels changed my opinion.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #90
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

The fact that Ali and Greb have roughly the same amount of votes just goes to prove Roger Mayweather right...
KillSomething is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum