Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #46
The Clown
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 853
Default Re: Samuel Peter vs. Robert Helenius 4/2/11

Peter is over the hill after the Wlad 2 debacle. Sauerland events never ever put their prospect Helenius in a fight vs. a dangerous Peter.

This fight reminds me on Valuev-Lyakhovich or Helenius-Brewster. A good name but nothing more. Helenius via UD12.
The Clown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #47
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

good fight for Helenius at this point of his career...Peter has some life left and should not be taken lightly, you got to get him drunk before you drown him
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #48
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

If Helenius beats Peter and looks good doing so I will be very impressed. Peter is still dangerous.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #49
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Robert's interview in on the ropes boxing radio was painful to listen. He didn't speak english very well and didn't hear all the questions correctly.
Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #50
Sakura
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Rojo View Post
Robert's interview in on the ropes boxing radio was painful to listen. He didn't speak english very well and didn't hear all the questions correctly.
This was the case but it is understandable. He speaks Swedish, Finnish, German and English
Sakura is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #51
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm excited about this fight. Let's see how Peter takes those short, accurate hooks fired by Helenius.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #52
Goodhill
Iron Horse - born to lose
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
I'm excited about this fight. Let's see how Peter takes those short, accurate hooks fired by Helenius.
Arenīt the hooks Peterīs tools. Helenius is more of a straight sniper

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P965d51Atq0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P965d51Atq0[/ame]
Goodhill is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #53
Sakura
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Bermane Stiverne vs Robert Helenius of Sweden in 1/2 Final Highlight
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn-IOgR3V6k[/ame]
Sakura is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #54
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

This has to be Peter's last hurrah if he doesn't get past Helenius. The guy takes too many punches to keep going in the sport as a gatekeeper. He's probably already taken too much punishment in his career

It'll be very interesting to see how Helenius does. If he beats Peter (which he should at this stage) it would be good to see him in with someone like JC Gomez or Eddie Chambers
Squire is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #55
Goodhill
ESB Addict

Helenius is current on a two weeks sparring -camp with Gebenga Oloukoun. Helenius said that they in sparring they continued where they were in their last years fight.

Good sparring partner for Helenius. Same size as Samuel Peter and Oloukoun fights a bit like Peter too.

Iīm going to the Bielefeld fight in 2.4. - couldnīt be more excited!
Goodhill is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #56
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodhill View Post
Helenius is current on a two weeks sparring -camp with Gebenga Oloukoun. Helenius said that they in sparring they continued where they were in their last years fight.

Good sparring partner for Helenius. Same size as Samuel Peter and Oloukoun fights a bit like Peter too.

Iīm going to the Bielefeld fight in 2.4. - couldnīt be more excited!
Gbenga has a fight coming up against an undefeated fellow African. I hope he wins. Olukun has lost few and taken some fights for obvious paydays, but his wins against Brewster and Airsch hint that he has more talent than he has used. I hope that now that he had a few bucks he settles down and turns his career around.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #57
Goodhill
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
Gbenga has a fight coming up against an undefeated fellow African. I hope he wins. Olukun has lost few and taken some fights for obvious paydays, but his wins against Brewster and Airsch hint that he has more talent than he has used. I hope that now that he had a few bucks he settles down and turns his career around.
I feel the same way. Oloukoun is one of the best journey-man in HW, always comes to win and doesnīt let the homering-fighter off easily. Brewster and Airich learned this in their bouts.
Goodhill is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #58
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

fall asleep watching helenius

such an unappealing, plodding style
dfh85 is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #59
Goodhill
ESB Addict

BY PHILIP H. ANSELMO

Undefeated Robert “The Nordic Nightmare” Helenius, 14-0, 9 KO’s faces hard-punching former WBC strap holder Samuel “The Nigerian Nightmare” Peter, 34-4, 27 KO’s in Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on April 2nd in an under-the-radar battle of heavyweights where a loss for either fighter could prove to be a true nightmare. The fight is scheduled for 12-rounds, but the odds of this match-up going the distance has to be slim. Both men have KO power and one punch could possibly end this one dramatically.

For the 6’6”1/2 Helenius, a loss would be a huge setback at this point in his career after gaining such momentum. Helenius has not taken the soft path towards contention.

Since 2009, he has bested tough Taras Bidenko (RTD 3). Stopped admittedly faded former WBO titlist Lamon Brewster in less than 8-rounds. He scored an 8-round decision over useful Gbenga Oloukun. Then he won the vacant EBU-EU (European Union) heavy trinket over undefeated, 12-0, 11 KO’s Gregory Tony, in a fight where the Frenchman hit the deck 4-times before succumbing in the 6th. And in his last go-round in November of last year he stopped one-time fringe contender Attila Levin inside 2-rounds for the vacant WBO Inter-continental bauble. Both of Helenius’ titles are on the line come fight night.

Although past his best years, Sam Peter is definitely considered a step-up-type fight for Helenius, and in truth, it is. Peter is still an experienced fighter with a KO punch in both fists. He’s battled weight issues throughout his career but looked to be in good shape in his last outing despite being stopped by the division’s best, Wladimir Klitschko, in 10-brutal rounds. But that’s the Heavyweight Champion of The World Sam lost to. Wlad is in his prime and seemingly unbeatable at this point, so there’s no shame in Peter losing the way he did. Most Wlad Klitschko opponents are eventually overwhelmed. A victory over the soaring Helenius would prove that Peter still has what it takes to fight and win at an elite level.

But there’s a catch-22 situation for Peter in this fight. If he wins, people will possibly and probably claim he beat an over-hyped prospect, and therefore his stock wouldn’t necessarily rise. But on the other hand, if he loses, Helenius’ career will take on a new level of success and Peter will completely fall into the journeyman category. This fight is a must-win for Sam without a shadow of a doubt, and as boxing fans all we can hope for is that he shows up in-shape, ready for the fight of his life. But will he? That remains to be seen.

In the other corner, a victory for the giant Swede Helenius who fights out of Stockholm Germany could and should NOT be ignored by alphabet organizations and the boxing public worldwide. Especially if he wins in style. Helenius has been brought along beautifully throughout his career, facing quality opposition whilst stepping-up competition strategically to the best of his team’s ability. Some may argue the use of the term “quality opposition”, but the proof is in the autopsy of the surgery-style of boxing he implores in the midst of opponent dissection. It’s the way Helenius wins that’s impressive. He does what he has to do to ensure victory and his KO ratio is a mounting thing. He has defeated fellow prospect David Price in the amateurs, and is miles ahead of the big Brit career-wise thus far. An impressive victory over Peter should catapult him into the Top-10, easily.

WHO WILL WIN AND HOW?

Honestly, this fight really depends on which Sam Peter shows up. Is Sam still hungry? Will he be in shape? Well, you can bet Helenius will be ready.

I expect Helenius to set the pace early with smart, controlled boxing. He uses his height to his advantage beautifully. He boxes tall very well, a la the Klitschko brothers, and he’s extremely calm about his work. Helenius can control a fight with his jab and footwork alone, so Peter will have to battle to get inside.

One thing Sam has going for him is experience fighting taller, fleet-footed fighters. He has faced both Klitschko brothers on huge stages, so there will be no initial intimidation factor. But as the rounds mount, Peter will revert to lunging tactics that’ll cost him. Helenius’ jab will land hard and often enough to make the Nigerian wary. Helenius is too smart-a-fighter to fall for any rough stuff Peter may throw at him and he counter-punches well under duress. Robert’s chin can be questioned, but to the best of my knowledge, he has never been off his feet. Peter could possibly test “The Nordic Nightmare’s” beard in this bout, which would be a very telling thing. But it won’t happen.

I expect Helenius to be victorious in what could turn out to be a one-sided contest. Helenius isn’t a murderous puncher, but his punches are thudding and accumulative. If the fight comes down to attrition, I’m going with the calmness of Helenius opposed to Peter’s desperation. Peter could possibly last until the final bell, but if history rears its head, expect him to submit, perhaps on his stool, between rounds 9-or-10.

HELENIOUS TKO 9-10 SAM PETER
AFTER THOUGHT(S)-

If this prediction comes true, where does Helenius go from here? Will Top-10 contenders like Alexander Povetkin, Denis Boystov or even America’s Eddie Chambers avoid him like the plague?

Probably.

Is he ready as a complete fighter to vie for one of the Klitschko Thrones? Perhaps, but there will still be questions about his ability at a true World Championship level. Whatever the scenario, Robert Helenius will be due a marquee type fight if he wins April 2nd.

Rumor has it that fellow undefeated prospect Tyson Fury believes he has Helenius’ number. The two have sparred numerous rounds together and Fury told yours truly that he bested the Swede every time.

“I think it’s a mental thing”, claimed the Furious One. “He’s afraid of me and I dominate him (when we spar)”.

Personally, I’d love to see this fight. If Helenius is in need of a big fight, assuming he defeats Peter, I can think of no better fight than a meeting of these two colossal, undefeated prospects. Not that I totally doubt what Fury claims, but dammit, I’d have to see the fight for myself to be convinced. Fighting under the big lights is very, very different than sparring sessions, and I suspect a different Robert Helenius would show up vs. Tyson Fury if they fought in a true situation.

So far, it’s Fury who looks to be the rawer prospect. In truth, Helenius looks miles ahead of Fury in style and composure. But I must admit, I adore Fury’s brash ways. He believes in himself, and so far he’s proven his critics wrong. If these two were to meet in the future, I believe both men could possibly put on a telling performance and intrigue fight fans worldwide.

P-Friggin’-A
Goodhill is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #60
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This is insane to put him in with Peter at this point. They must have some insider info about Peter being shell shocked from what Wlad recently did to him. Not unlike the senario with Brewster.
Nosbor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum