Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
pokerbox
Journeyman

vCash: 87
Default Re: If Hatton did face and beat Witter, won't people say Witter is shot?

Mcguigan v Nelson, Lewis v Bowe, Calzaghe v Ottke, now Hatton v Witter, fights that should have been made, involving British World Champions in career defining bouts.

Last edited by Slicknick56; 02-11-2006 at 08:41 PM.
pokerbox is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #17
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If Hatton did face and beat Witter, won't people say Witter is shot?

Career defining? Hardly, I have to say. It is arguable whether Witter has ever beaten a top ten fighter. I wouldn't mind seeing this bout, but it is hardly a must-see. As somebody said on another thread, this is not a bout for the man in the pub, more one for the hardcore boxing fan. Career defining fights for Hatton are Tszyu, Castillo and in the future hopefully Cotto or Mayweather.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #18
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If the fight isnt going in the style witter wants it he looks terrible...Hatton certainly wont make it easy & would turn it into a brawl which would be very bad news for witter...........Hatton to stop him in the 8th.....
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #19
pinpointzero

I agree with Dunky. I was ringside when Ricky jumped in the ring and mimicked Witter, to much applause! It's a well known inside joke, and a heavily publicised one that there is a certain level of needle between the two boxers.
I want to see the fight just so Hatton can shut Witter up for good. Plain and simple. But we know it won't take place because Ricky believes Junior needs to step *up* to his level, and not have Hatton step *down* to Witters.
Look at the last few fights each one of them has had. Hatton has fought names. It arguable they may not have been in their prime, but he's fought, and won (controversially against Luis Collazo, granted, and one-paced against Urango, but the Maussa fight I felt was pretty darn good).
Witter has one name on his list of viable opponents in Zabdiel Judah who at the time had just 7 more fights, and 4 years his junior. You can argue that Witter has matured later, but he's still not fought anyone late of any real name or calibre.
Even now, whilst Witter holds possible the most prestigious of all boxing federation belts, he almost been gifted it by having to fence-fight a previously heavily defeated, shot fighter on his home turf whilst play-acting. I'm sorry. I don't see why Witter should get a crack at Hatton before any body else does.
He has a belt, a good belt. Belts and titles aren't the be-all and end-all any more in boxing. Fighters make fights.
Hattons style also limits shelf life, this means with maybe 3 or 4 fights left in him at top level, he'll opt simply for the names, and the money!!
Why would Hatton take Witter over the likes of someone like Lazcano, Demetrius Hopkins, Andreas Kotelnik, or Paulie Maillignaggi? Witter isn't a name in the States so the only viable place to entertain a bout is in the UK. This equals smaller purses equals less chance.
Sorry, Witter just isn't an exciting fighter. An exhibitionist, showman, fancy, Dan, powder puncher, dancer, runner.. feel free to add/remove at your own will... but top class boxer? Nah.
pinpointzero is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #20
JediPimp007
Long suffering reader
ESB Senior Member

some of you picking Witter must be watching a different sport. Witter simply doesn't have the work rate or punch output to even trouble Hatton. I'd be shocked if he lasted longer than the 4th round. Witter last few opponents have let him fight his game... ie stand there and posture, pout a bit, mince a bit and throw some sloppy haymakers. A decent pressure fighter will dismantle him, Witter would be a fool to want this fight imo.
JediPimp007 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Workrate doesn't mean Witter will lose to Hatton.

Hunter had workrate he got Ko'ed by Molitor and some thought he lost to Pickering.

People say pressure fighters can beat Mayweather too yet he doesn't lose.

Witter can time Hatton and has the power to hurt Hatton.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #22
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Witter can time Hatton and has the power to hurt Hatton.
This takes intelligence, measuring your shots and mastering your range. Come on, we aren't talking about the same sloppy messy bastard are we.

I'm sure everyone will agree Witter has the talent to match Hatton but he doesn't have the intelligence nor is he polished enough. Hatton isn't particulalry polished when he is in a fight but it fits his style. Witters a sharp shooter gone wrong.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum