Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which Is More Deadly ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
This is spot on. I was a southpaw, but I always struggled against a good left hook because of how much a left handed relies on neutralizing his opponents near side, as he is more used to seeing a lead left than his foe a lead right. When my opponent could start getting left hooks over my right hands, my whole game fell apart. Outjabbing a southpaw is one thing, but if you are crashing a left hook into my jaw everytime I'm trying to get something started, I'm gonna get real hesitant really fast.

I remember when I was brought in to spar Wladimir Klitschko for the Ibragimov fight, and all I was looking for was his straight right hand, that I had seen massacre Chris Byrd and send alot of tough guys I had respected down splat. 25 seconds into my first round with him, he countered a right jab of mine with his underrated left hook and sent me to the canvas for the first time in 7 years.

Right hands are thought to be southpaw kryptonite, and they can be, but they have to be timed or properly set up, because we are looking for them almost exclusively. I can't tell you how many guys I fought in the amateurs who were flummoxed at my style(And I was not that hard to find as a young man) whose coaches would just scream "Throw the right hand son!" over and over again, when a good sharp left hand to outfence mine would have done them so much better.

Just from the perspective of a southpaw with some skills.
Yours ,and Ecto's were just the sort of posts I was hoping for . I agree conventional wisdom says right hands are the most effective against southpaws ,but I remember Henry Cooper ,stating he found his left jab and hook, did the job against Bodell ,and Mildenberger, two south paws,of course Cooper's right hand was only used to wipe his arse with.
mcvey is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Both are really

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
An orthodox fighters left hook is more dangerous that an orthodox fighters right cross, while an orthodox right hook is largely redundant except in certain circumstances- i.e. within a combo or as a designed counter depending on a certain fighters style.

Obviously southpaw right hooks are have the same qualities of orthodox left hooks, although I'll add that southpaw left cross' might have an added effectiveness relative to right cross' simply because most fighters come across them less and they're nervous systems aren't as used to them. That's highly speculative though.

Left hooks have the following advantages over a straight right/right cross-

a) the punching hand is closer to the opponent, and therefore relative to the rear hand can arrive quicker to the target. This also melds into less reaction time for an opponents-whats the saying?- the punch you don't see is the one that hurts you.

Think of Roy Jones Jr throwing 7 left hooks in a second, as quick as his hands were even he's not going to be able to throw 7 right hands in a second- the punches are working on a different rythem;

b) unlike a straight right/right cross, a left hooks body movements- leg drive, pivot and whip of the punch etc are less obvious as compared to a right cross, which comes deep from within a fighters gaurd. Thats why there's the need to disguise the right hand with feints, jabs or within a combo etc. This 'entire short movement' aspect provides the left hook, or southpaw right hook with its most crucial 'suprise' element, and is why left hooks can be hard to pick off- by the time you recognise the opponents left hooking you've been/about to be hit- or at least in theory!

c) left hooks, and even rear hand hooks although they're harder to land have the advantage of striking you on the button just like a cross would but across the line, i.e. laterally. Given the effect of punches to the head are felt by the energy imparted by the punch to the brain within the braincase- many people beleive (myself included) that a good left hook is harder to ride out than an equally powerful right cross because the punch comes across on a lateral plane. Whether the brain 'bounces' more around the brain-case?- I don't know. But unlike a right cross that can be ridden out through the neck and into the body, hooks and even arcing overhand punches really leave nowhere for the energy to go other than around the head.

That is why, I beleive anyway, quick but not necessarily powerful left hooks can see a fighter freeze and drop them like a stone- it being a particular reaction to this punch on their central nervous system, while right hands have a different affect. I'm sure this third point will prove contraversial with some ESB posters though;

d) personally, I think that properly taught, learned and thrown, left hooks can have more potential bodyweight in their shot than a right hand, although right hands have the advantage of travelling further and attaining more potnetial snap or acceleration. Again, boxing and physics are probably two fields that were never meant to meet, and so this debateable at a number of levels, but there's little doubt that a good left hook see's the entire body turned into the punch and through the opponents head.

Personally, I've always loved left hooks, and as a young man I made it a concern to learn as many different types and variations as possible- even tried to develop a few creations of my own, and still find them fascinating and inherently the most dangerous punch.
Good points but I don't entirely agree

A) true as a lead it can be easier to lead with it, but for 1 thing the right hand is straighter and faster to make up for that a little. In turn I feel because of the distance/time you have with a right hand it is easier to throw counter rights than counter hooks. You can also hide the right hand behind your shoulder so an opponent either doesn't see you leading or countering with it

B) You can hide a right hand too as mentioned and better technique sees it not being telegraphed

C/D) Both can be pretty lethal
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
smoketh thou

vCash:

fact is its not that black and white. It depends on the fighters, how they move, which style they use etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Both are really

Good points but I don't entirely agree

A) true as a lead it can be easier to lead with it, but for 1 thing the right hand is straighter and faster to make up for that a little. In turn I feel because of the distance/time you have with a right hand it is easier to throw counter rights than counter hooks. You can also hide the right hand behind your shoulder so an opponent either doesn't see you leading or countering with it

B) You can hide a right hand too as mentioned and better technique sees it not being telegraphed

C/D) Both can be pretty lethal
I completely agree with what you are saying in essence. A straight, sharp right hand lead is a great tool. For that matter, so is a sharp right hand. SO many don't throw it down the pipe shockingly. I'm seriously looking at highlight package after highlight package of great fighters, and they put serious loop in their right hands.

Big thing to remember to about the right hand, in my opinion its biggest advantage, is that when it is properly thrown it is the longest power punch in the orthodox fighters arsenal that doesn't sacrifice balance.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

neither are dangerous if you defend right.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #21
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Left hook for reasons already stated. Shortest distance is the main reason.

A fighter who is good at hooking hard off the jab (like Sonny Liston) is especially dangerous. After fielding a left jab a fighter's natural instinct is to look for the concomitant right cross from his opponent, so when that jab is suddenly followed up by a short, quick left hook to the temple it can have devastating effects.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum