Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default billy graham today...

have watched a limited amount of footage of him(ie giardello and i personally think he won the fight that joey sued for)and find him a very good fighter . how would billy fare in todays game?i also believe he damn near beat srr in the amateurs(not quite sure)this guy was the real deal why not a champion?
shommel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: billy graham today...

Gavilan stood in his way and was able to edge Graham twice in close title fights. I believe he would have reigned over many inferior champions but it was a tough era to make it in. Gavilan at welterweight, and Robinson at middleweight. Tough to get past that.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Gavilan stood in his way and was able to edge Graham twice in close title fights. I believe he would have reigned over many inferior champions but it was a tough era to make it in. Gavilan at welterweight, and Robinson at middleweight. Tough to get past that.
A little tidbit about Billy Graham. In the early 1940s my dad took me to St Nicks Arena in NY. After getting our tickets we waited on line to hand the tickets over to the attendant. In front of me was a young fellow holding a gym bag waiting for the ticket attendant to let him in.The guy looked like a choir boy,so boyish looking he was. Well it turned out this young guy fought a 4 rd prelim fight, and his name was Billy Graham. I saw him many times after that
night ,fighting main events. Graham was a great stylist, not much of a puncher -
and surprisingly had an iron chin. In 126 bouts Billy Graham was never floored,and Whitey Bimstein his famous trainer, insisted that he never saw
Billy Graham ever staggered. A great welterweight during a talent laden 147
pound division in the great 1940s...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Doc McCoy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yes indeed, great, great chin. Excellent boxer, very smart in the ring, not great power but compensated with ring smarts and boxing ability. Dubbed the "uncrowned champion" after the first Gavilan fight which many claim was a huge robbery.

I have footage of his fights against Pellone, Shans, Rafferty, Larkin, Herring, Young, Basilio, Giardello, Gavilan. Would love a complete copy against Basilio if anyone has it.
Doc McCoy is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
Yes indeed, great, great chin. Excellent boxer, very smart in the ring, not great power but compensated with ring smarts and boxing ability. Dubbed the "uncrowned champion" after the first Gavilan fight which many claim was a huge robbery.

I have footage of his fights against Pellone, Shans, Rafferty, Larkin, Herring, Young, Basilio, Giardello, Gavilan. Would love a complete copy against Basilio if anyone has it.
Doc, those names you have mentioned sure rings a bell for me. Tony Pellone, Cleo Shans,Tippy Larkin, Jimmy Herring, Paddy Young etc,were fighters who i watched live numerous times in NY. As I have posted before Tippy Larkin was a great pure boxer who whipped Billy Graham decisevely. I saw Tippy a few times fight,and if Larkin had Billy Graham's set of whiskers, he would have
been an alltime great fighter. I would love to see a film of Tippy Larkin as a
reminder of what he was in his heyday....
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
Doc McCoy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I would love to see a film of Tippy Larkin as a
reminder of what he was in his heyday....
Burt, I can send you a copy of the Graham-Larkin footage if you like. It runs for 16mins. PM me your details.
Doc McCoy is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Graham would be a difficult fight for anyone today including Floyd.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shommel View Post
have watched a limited amount of footage of him(ie giardello and i personally think he won the fight that joey sued for)and find him a very good fighter . how would billy fare in todays game?i also believe he damn near beat srr in the amateurs(not quite sure)this guy was the real deal why not a champion?
He'd be the game.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Someone once described Billy Graham as "as good as a fighter can be without be truly great," and I think that may have been an accurate assessment of him. Graham was good enough to compete with greats and ATGs, but couldn't quite distinguish himself from them. I always felt he was one of those fighters who looked spectacular against B and C level opponents, but when he stepped it up against the elite fighters of his day (ie: Gavilan, Giardello, Castellani) he fought much more tentatively and often did just enough to fall short. He lost his title fight with Gavilan because he stayed on the defensive for the first two thirds of the fight and allowed Gavilan to outwork him, and didn't really step it up until the championship rounds after Gavilan got tired.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
A little tidbit about Billy Graham. In the early 1940s my dad took me to St Nicks Arena in NY. After getting our tickets we waited on line to hand the tickets over to the attendant. In front of me was a young fellow holding a gym bag waiting for the ticket attendant to let him in.The guy looked like a choir boy,so boyish looking he was. Well it turned out this young guy fought a 4 rd prelim fight, and his name was Billy Graham. I saw him many times after that
night ,fighting main events. Graham was a great stylist, not much of a puncher -
and surprisingly had an iron chin. In 126 bouts Billy Graham was never floored,and Whitey Bimstein his famous trainer, insisted that he never saw
Billy Graham ever staggered. A great welterweight during a talent laden 147
pound division in the great 1940s...
Thanks for sharing some history!
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
Burt, I can send you a copy of the Graham-Larkin footage if you like. It runs for 16mins. PM me your details.
Doc,I would love to see the Larkin/Billy Graham footage, but I am technically challenged. Just started on the internet a short time ago in my Autumn years.
If you can E-mail me at [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]] with some suggestions,I would surely appreciate your help.
Tippy Larkin was seldom beaten by decision, but i saw him kod a few times.
Thanks doc...b.b.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Someone once described Billy Graham as "as good as a fighter can be without be truly great," and I think that may have been an accurate assessment of him. Graham was good enough to compete with greats and ATGs, but couldn't quite distinguish himself from them. I always felt he was one of those fighters who looked spectacular against B and C level opponents, but when he stepped it up against the elite fighters of his day (ie: Gavilan, Giardello, Castellani) he fought much more tentatively and often did just enough to fall short. He lost his title fight with Gavilan because he stayed on the defensive for the first two thirds of the fight and allowed Gavilan to outwork him, and didn't really step it up until the championship rounds after Gavilan got tired.
It was a W.C.Heinz quote, M
john garfield is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum