Jon Jones 22 59.46%
Too much size difference between either combination 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Would you rather see Anderson versus Georges St Pierre or versus Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
It's the most predictable fight I can think of.

I don't think you can just go with the Sonnen fight, considering Silvia was nursing a rib injury going into the fight.

In terms of which fight I think would be more competitive it would be Jones- Silvia. GSP can't win a stand up game against Silvia and I don't like his chances much.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Would you rather see Anderson versus Georges St Pierre or versus Jon Jones?

I think Anderson beats GSP and loses to Jones. Basically the biggest guy wins in both those fights. The least 'well rounded' guy is actually Silva, but he probably has the best stand up. I think Jones would take him down with ease and smash him up from the guard position.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

GSP by far. Two of the greatest P4P fighters of all time and we have a chance to see them fight eachother while they're still ruling their respective divisions.

Anderson is coming to the end of his career, he's spoken numerous times about retiring, he says he wants to end his career at 185 and he's not interested in fighting at 205 anymore. A fight with GSP would be a perfect punctuation mark on his career.

GSP is still relatively young, hes got some good years of fighting ahead of him, and he certainly has the skills to take out Anderson. But he also has a lot to lose if his body can't handle the weight change (going up to 185 then back down if he loses), look at what happened to RJJ after he came back down from HW.

While I'd love to see AS fight Jon Jones, in all honesty, JJ hasn't earned it yet. Let him defend his belt a few times and set up at least the impression of dominance before we start talking about superfights (in any case, I'd be much more interested in seeing Jones at HW)
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
No Fear
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'd like to see GreaSyPierre put to sleep again
No Fear is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #20
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

Silva - Jones . Silva is the only guy talented enough to beat Jones.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #21
zarman

vCash:

GSP and Silva are ATG's, p4p #1 and 2 and have dominated their divisions. This shouldn't even be a serious question.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarman View Post
GSP and Silva are ATG's, p4p #1 and 2 and have dominated their divisions. This shouldn't even be a serious question.
Jones is the flavour of the month. He has a vaguely similar style and body type as Silva, so it's a natural question to ask.

That having been said, I entirely agree with you.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

To me Silva-GSP is more interesting because these are two fighters who perfectly compliment each other - they both won the title at similar times, have both dominated their division for the past five years and their styles and personalties are a perfect contrast. Plus it is the pure "P4P King Match" that MMA and perhaps even boxing has never been able to quite give us.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarman View Post
There is also more chance that Anderson is just plain too big for Georges.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
There is also more chance that Anderson is just plain too big for Georges.

Actually I think there's less chance. A smaller guy that has superior wrestling can use that to take the fight to the ground where the size advantage is far less meaningful (we actually very recently saw this with Penn/Fitch). A smaller guy that only has superior striking is always going to run into problems due to inferior striking range and power. So GSP's strengths are best suited to success at a higher weight (as was the case with henderson and couture) while Silva's are not.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

All said and done, even the UFC haters have to admit that in GSP, Silva and Jones they have got some pretty ****ing good champions these days.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #27
blacklikesunday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

jones. because i don't think gsp could be silva.
blacklikesunday is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum