Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347
Default Re: Best boxer vs best MMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO KIDD View Post
Ive trained both two well more wrestling than boxing by a landslide and the best wrestler will take you down without even getting close

The toney fight was a bad example in the way Toney showed up fat but Coutoure took a low ankle shot from out of range and the boxer AKA Toney had nothing

I mean you can learn a sprawl but if the guy takes a great shot at the ankle a sprawl does nothing

boxers need to learn to scramble and learn how to use their hips

good wrestling requires a muscle memory that takes years to develop

most of these MMA guys are div 1 all americans meaning in scholastic they are the best america has to offer

that means they dont have to get into punching range and once on the ground its over

unless the MMA guy had some foolish pride to stand and trade to prove a point they can simply come in on the ankle
I suppose you and I have different perspectives, for me I honestly don't find sprawling as hard. Of course if I want to stand up against a wrestler I'm going to adjust my stance, my posture will be more squared and lower.

Wrestling wasn't as technical as boxing for me, my coach told me find that 1 move that you can do better than anyone else and that's all you need. That's exactly what I did.

Boxing it wasn't such, I was extremely strong for my weight benched 225 and I weighed 125, but that didn't mean anything in the ring
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
USboxer1981
The Real Def. MVP
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Quote:
I agree the PPV are so expensive you pay 50 bucks to watch a guy tap get up and be completely ok to continue you feel robbed. I think it would be cool if tapping out counted agaisnt you on the cards like a KD does in boxing like you tap its a 10-8 round it continues

twice in a round its 10-7 then maybe have a 3 tap rule in a round like a 3 KD rule
lol, that's actually a great idea.
USboxer1981 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
crimson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by McManama View Post
A boxer would fair well against an MMA fighter with MMA rules as long as that fighter is not a strong ground game type...

If you have no ground game in MMA and you fight a guy who is strong on the ground, he'll just go for your legs and try and get you down to the ground. And choke you out or some bull shit..

The reason why I don't care too much for MMA , is for this fact..

There is no honor in a fight that a man just wrestles and "taps" his opponent out..

A true warrior would stand toe to toe , like a man.. and fight.

The MMA fighters I enjoy watching , are the ones who keep it on their feet.. the Muy Thai guys.

LOL - true warrior finds a way to win.

And you make it sound like boxers never "hit below the belt".
Fighting standing up does not equate to honor.

I agree in MMA rules, MMA wins and it will not be close.
The other way around, boxers win.

Only chance for both is a punchers chance which will be extremely small.
crimson is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
I suppose you and I have different perspectives, for me I honestly don't find sprawling as hard. Of course if I want to stand up against a wrestler I'm going to adjust my stance, my posture will be more squared and lower.

Wrestling wasn't as technical as boxing for me, my coach told me find that 1 move that you can do better than anyone else and that's all you need. That's exactly what I did.

Boxing it wasn't such, I was extremely strong for my weight benched 225 and I weighed 125, but that didn't mean anything in the ring
Im not saying sprawling is hard Im saying that if the guy shoots a certain way and the guy sprawls and the shooter turns the corner and the guys sprawls to his belly and the wrestler gets behind

or the wrestler fakes a shot boxer sprawls to his stomach and wrestler spins behind

or the shot is so fast that the boxer who doesnt have enough experience and timing sprawls way too late

I mean maybe Im over complicating it a bit but shooting a great takedown is an art

much like Floyd Mayweather counter punching is an art

or Larry Holmes jab was an art

or Fraziers hook was an art

the ability to do that and or counter that can not be taught in the time it takes to train for one fight

My main point is each athlete if on the top level wins almost if not every time in their respecting sport
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McManama View Post
lol, that's actually a great idea.
I know it feels like a premature stoppage in boxing when a guy just taps in like a minute

I feel it prevents a possible great fight some times
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

Quote:
Ive trained both two well more wrestling than boxing by a landslide and the best wrestler will take you down without even getting close

The toney fight was a bad example in the way Toney showed up fat but Coutoure took a low ankle shot from out of range and the boxer AKA Toney had nothing

I mean you can learn a sprawl but if the guy takes a great shot at the ankle a sprawl does nothing

boxers need to learn to scramble and learn how to use their hips

good wrestling requires a muscle memory that takes years to develop

most of these MMA guys are div 1 all americans meaning in scholastic they are the best america has to offer

that means they dont have to get into punching range and once on the ground its over

unless the MMA guy had some foolish pride to stand and trade to prove a point they can simply come in on the ankle
what if he's fighting a boxer with great footwork like Mayweather or Pacquiao and just pivot out the way
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #22
crimson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Take down defense requires a lot of skill including timing, move recognition, technique, leverage, etc.

And some of this, like move recognition, takes experience - not just gym training.
crimson is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
what if he's fighting a boxer with great footwork like Mayweather or Pacquiao and just pivot out the way
Wrestling is like boxing in the sense that you can get your opponent to step into the big punch by setting them up

a great wrestler is fast watch Olympic wrestlers even Div 1 their feet are quick but their eyes are quick to

fake a shot get the guy to step circle one way circle the other get the guy to step right into a shot

plus if the guy pivots and turns its not like bullfighting the guy wont just straight miss and give up they will take a reshot

or tie up under over and try a throw if they cant shoot if that happens the boxer may be able to wrestle out of the clinch and land an inside punch
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
This. I mean we can say the wrestler does this and that, but you also need to remember that the boxer isn't going to just sit there. Boxing isn't just "2 weapons" like most people think, footwork and the angles that the sweet science includes plays a big part of it.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #25
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson View Post
Take down defense requires a lot of skill including timing, move recognition, technique, leverage, etc.

And some of this, like move recognition, takes experience - not just gym training.
dead on I've been saying it all thread

much like boxing is a science of its own
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Chunk
tallaght boy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 547

If chuck liddel could fight top level mma just using punches and great takedown defence im sure some boxers could do it!......any boxer who tried it would however have to be a knockout puncher with either hand
Chunk is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
pacpowerpellet
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 225

vitali klitschko beats lesnar
pacpowerpellet is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
If chuck liddel could fight top level mma just using punches and great takedown defence im sure some boxers could do it!......any boxer who tried it would however have to be a knockout puncher with either hand
To be fair Chuck Liddell was also a world class wrestler, but then again he had shitty punches and still was the best at some point. I suppose the same could work for a boxer who knows how to use theirs legs.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #29
GoldenArms
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Watch some Pride, I believe all their champions were strikers
In Pride the rules favored the strikers more as opposed to the UFC today, which favors the grapplers. In Pride you can kick and knee a guy in the head when they were on the ground, so that discouraged the grapplers to shoot in for the takedown unlike the UFC.

I still watch the UFC but I hate all the wrestling and grappling. I'm always biased towards the strikers and guys with good stand up skill.
GoldenArms is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #30
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenArms View Post
In Pride the rules favored the strikers more as opposed to the UFC today, which favors the grapplers. In Pride you can kick and knee a guy in the head when they were on the ground, so that discouraged the grapplers to shoot in for the takedown unlike the UFC.

I still watch the UFC but I hate all the wrestling and grappling. I'm always biased towards the strikers and guys with good stand up skill.
To me that's real fighting, shows how good of a wrestler you are if able to shoot and not get KTFO or exposes the shit out of you

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum