It would be competative 11 13.92%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #31
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best boxer vs best MMA

Yeah Chuck's weird success leads me to believe as well that a decent enough understanding of how to avoid being taken down will put the boxer in the fight. The guy who fought Gonzaga on the undercard of Lesnar-Velazquez, Schwabb, dominated Gonzaga with his "golden gloves" amatuer boxing style, and he looked like Muhammad Ali against the inutile stand up game of Gonzaga, when he is on the level of amatuers I have fought. The difference is he knows how not to get taken down and how to survive if he is, but that was a pure boxing performance from him.

And come on, I consider myself mostly likely to use dirty boxing in a real street fight: stomp the knee, knee the groin, elbow the chin. It doesn't take a genius striker to use these tricks, boxers are not retarded. Mayweather might be as good with his elbow as a Muy Thai guy. Except its illegal in his sport heh heh.
aramini is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

anthony pettis has a great takedown deffens and that is a knee to the face when you shoot at him
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #33
Chunk
tallaght boy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 547

Oh I understand he was a top class wrestler and his kicks were underated! Its just he only used punches and takedown defence in his general gameplan! I also dont believe all boxers could do what chuck did but im sure some could! Pacquiao has terrefic foot speed,balance and agility with good power with some work I think he might be an example of a boxer who could do well
Chunk is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #34
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Mirko Cro Cop managed to do it, so it isn't impossible.
Shogun Assassin is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #35
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Oh I understand he was a top class wrestler and his kicks were underated! Its just he only used punches and takedown defence in his general gameplan! I also dont believe all boxers could do what chuck did but im sure some could! Pacquiao has terrefic foot speed,balance and agility with good power with some work I think he might be an example of a boxer who could do well
I fully understand, which is what I believe would happen. look at pride for example, strikers ruled that because the grapplers didn't have the luxury of having a safe shoot.

All in all I believe it depends on the fighter, Toney never had the footwork... but mayweather, pacquiao, and Jones would have fit perfectly
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
MrGlass
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3745

Not a chance. Footwork doesn't prevent a take down from collegiate all american wrestlers and Jiu Jitsu black belts, that's laughable.
MrGlass is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Xerant
Gotta Hate negociations!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingboy View Post
some people dont have common sense
+1
Xerant is online now  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #38
COLD-HARD-TRUTH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I love boxing but a boxer just doesn't have enough tools too compete against an MMA fighter in an MMA fight... thats not to say a guy who was a professional boxer can't compete in MMA after training in different disciplines like Ju-jitsu, Muay Thai and wrestling. Boxing is only one disclipline of fighting, MMA is multi-disciplinary. Now if an MMA guy were to fight a boxer in the ring in a boxing match, it would be a different story.
COLD-HARD-TRUTH is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #39
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
Mirko Cro Cop managed to do it, so it isn't impossible.

And didn't he just lose to the Scwabb guy I mentioned who was an amatuer boxer on the undercard of Jones/ Shogun. I really don't follow the sport that much. The point is there are successful guys who are boxing with tweaks to their game plan to adapt to their environment. I imagine a guy who is reknowned for both would still be the best bet. Cintron was supposed to be a good wrestler, no? So maybe he could use his boxing effectively.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #40
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLD-HARD-TRUTH View Post
I love boxing but a boxer just doesn't have enough tools too compete against an MMA fighter inn an MMA fight... thats not to say a guy who was a professional boxer can't compete in MMA after training in different disciplines like Ju-jitsu, Muay Thai and wrestling. Boxing is only one disclipline of fighting, MMA is multi-disciplinary. Now if an MMA guy were to fight a boxer in the ring in a boxing match, it would be a different story.
It's not about the number of tools you have, it's about how you use them. Muay Thai has more weapons than kickboxing, but if you look at k-1 champions almost all of them are kickboxers.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #41
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

In a boxing match Yes...in an MMA fight obviously No. If you are the "best" at anything you aren't going to be beaten by a novice.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #42
bobthebutcher
PED lab
ESB Full Member

ala roger: most people dont know shit about MMA.

boxer can only win via lucky punch in MMA rules, unless they fight a dumb cunt like tim silvia (who isnt a top level fighter) who decided to stand and trade with ray mercer and got ktfo !

like AlbertaFightFan said;
Same in the reverse scenario MMA guy can only with via luck punch in Boxing rules vs a top level boxer.

Even if there was an MMA guy who had the skill set, they could not fight for 12 rounds with a top 10 ten boxer, the stamina required is totally different in boxing and takes years to develop to a level to fight effectively for 12 rounds.
bobthebutcher is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #43
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i think if boxers train in bjj on the side, the mma fighter will have no advantage
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #44
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramini View Post
And didn't he just lose to the Scwabb guy I mentioned who was an amatuer boxer on the undercard of Jones/ Shogun. I really don't follow the sport that much. The point is there are successful guys who are boxing with tweaks to their game plan to adapt to their environment. I imagine a guy who is reknowned for both would still be the best bet. Cintron was supposed to be a good wrestler, no? So maybe he could use his boxing effectively.
He's shot, he would've beaten the shit out of Schaub in his prime.

Here he is giving Wanderlei Silva a brutal beating.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMW2SYBLA4A[/ame]
Shogun Assassin is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #45
bobthebutcher
PED lab
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
i think if boxers train in bjj on the side, the mma fighter will have no advantage
I think something like groco roman wrestling would give them a better chance IMO, would be able to keep it on the feet more than if they trained BJJ, which is more focused on finishing it once on the ground
bobthebutcher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum