Steenalized
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 203
Default Re: Best boxer vs best MMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Watch some Pride, I believe all their champions were strikers
Pride rules about kneeing/kicking downed opponents gave a big boost to strikers, the UFC's rules make it so that wrestlers have a nice advantage

As for the poll, I voted no chance if it in MMA, in reality I give them a small punchers chance but really it's a dumb quesiton. of course the MMA guy is going to win in MMA and the boxer would likely school them in boxing
Steenalized is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #47
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebutcher View Post
I think something like groco roman wrestling would give them a better chance IMO, would be able to keep it on the feet more than if they trained BJJ, which is more focused on finishing it once on the ground
Greco has no shoots, so I don't see how
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #48
ross
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I could see a boxer learning how to sprawl in 6 months or so to atleast stuff a few takedowns. If a boxer can manage to avoid being taken down so quickly ( like Toney) I'm sure the mma fighter will sustain quick and severe damage.
ross is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #49
crimson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
i think if boxers train in bjj on the side, the mma fighter will have no advantage
Of course. That is like saying of MMA fighters train more in boxing they have a better chance with pro boxers.

Again, training only gets you so far. There are so many factors beyond training like natural physical talent and experience.

Pivoting while can be a decent defense, it is not the answer to all take downs nor it solves feints and fakes. What happens if you are pin against the cage and you can pivot? A simple judo flip, or one leg take down or mid section knee or knee to the thigh is not an easy thing to defend, especially for boxers with 6 months of training.

The difficulty of MMA is not that you have to reach such a high level of defensive skills in 1 or 2 art forms, but that that you have learn ALL major martial arts at a world class level. You have to learn to recognize the difference between check kick to the thigh from a Superman Punch, an elbow to the face from a knee to the stomach.

Even the top BJJ fighters in the world have found it is not easy to submit a journeyman MMA fighter. Even the best Muy Thai and Kick boxers have realized you just can't knockout everyone in front of you.

It is much easier to take down a person than to KD you with a punch.
crimson is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #50
hallelujahholla
Original Gangsta
ESB Full Member

i'd like to see Anderson Silva VS. Pacquiao in a boxing match...Silva challenged Roy Jones to a boxing match a few years back...if Silva fought RJJ now in a boxing match, Silva would win
hallelujahholla is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #51
crimson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
I could see a boxer learning how to sprawl in 6 months or so to atleast stuff a few takedowns. If a boxer can manage to avoid being taken down so quickly ( like Toney) I'm sure the mma fighter will sustain quick and severe damage.
Defending a shoot takedown is only part of the defense. What are you going to do once you are in a stand up clinch and all those things you never faced before or thought illegal (like elbow to the face) during a clinch is being used against you?

Also you guys forget how are top boxers will deal with THEIR OWN muscle memory?

You think fighting a southpaw once every 3 years is hard? Try fighting in a totally different style and rules.

What are you going to do when you muscle memory tells you to punch the body while in a clinch while the MMA fighter knees your stomach and thighs?
crimson is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #52
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆

vCash: 75

Two men: both are professional fighters.

One is in his element. The other isn't.

Who do you think will win?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Boggle is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #53
untmike
ABN
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO KIDD View Post
Ive trained both two well more wrestling than boxing by a landslide and the best wrestler will take you down without even getting close

The toney fight was a bad example in the way Toney showed up fat but Coutoure took a low ankle shot from out of range and the boxer AKA Toney had nothing

I mean you can learn a sprawl but if the guy takes a great shot at the ankle a sprawl does nothing

boxers need to learn to scramble and learn how to use their hips

good wrestling requires a muscle memory that takes years to develop

most of these MMA guys are div 1 all americans meaning in scholastic they are the best america has to offer

that means they dont have to get into punching range and once on the ground its over

unless the MMA guy had some foolish pride to stand and trade to prove a point they can simply come in on the ankle
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo[/ame]
untmike is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #54
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

MMA rule go watch toney vs couture. Only an idiot like tim sylvia would try to stand and strike with a boxer
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #55
ross
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson View Post
Defending a shoot takedown is only part of the defense. What are you going to do once you are in a stand up clinch and all those things you never faced before or thought illegal (like elbow to the face) during a clinch is being used against you?

Also you guys forget how are top boxers will deal with THEIR OWN muscle memory?

You think fighting a southpaw once every 3 years is hard? Try fighting in a totally different style and rules.

What are you going to do when you muscle memory tells you to punch the body while in a clinch while the MMA fighter knees your stomach and thighs?
You bring up some good points, but I did say if a boxer is able to stuff a takedown. I remember seeing takedown attempts stuffed and not ending up in a clinch. I've seen one guy on the ground grabbing nothing but air while his opponent just takes a few steps back and waits for him to stand back up.
ross is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #56
Spunik
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Watch some Pride, I believe all their champions were strikers
Mark Coleman was not a striker.....
Spunik is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #57
unloco
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 81

mma fighter wins in mma rules
unloco is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #58
Money Shot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Vitali would batter Velasquez in one quick round. And if any MMA fan tries to claim Edgar would take Pac. The very basic MMA techniques can be learned quickly, Vitali already has Kickboxing and a grounding in Pankration from the Soviet system. I've no doubt Pac could be taught enough in one training camp to stay on his feet and pull guard till the bell if need be. He'd punch the **** out of Edgar anyway.
Money Shot is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #59
Spunik
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
To be fair Chuck Liddell was also a world class wrestler, but then again he had shitty punches and still was the best at some point. I suppose the same could work for a boxer who knows how to use theirs legs.
Lidell won about 55%-60 % of his collegiate matches....as far as I know he never qualified for the NCAA tournament which was the top 32-33 wrestlers at a weight class......so no...he was hardly world class at wrestling....
Spunik is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #60
timmyjames
PTurd curb stomper
East Side Guru

vCash: 3111

best tennis player vs. best golfer, who wins?
timmyjames is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum