Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #31
Dave_j1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
MMA has had many names. But they were never named after a promotion. I have no issues with the name Mixed Martial Arts afterall its what the sport is. I do have a problem with Zombies calling it "Ultimate Fighting".

Oh for the record stop trying to fool everyone and giving undeserved credit to UFC.

The name mixed martial arts was coined by Rick Blume, president and CEO of Battlecade, in 1995.

A college background is laughable at best, thats not experience at all. Brock was either given an express ride to the belt because of his popularity or the UFC had garbage fighters. Brock lost against Mir in his UFC debut, won against a semi retired old way past his prime Herring, and won the belt from Old man Randy who was injured and had been out of the fight game for like a year. Again this is laughable. Other more deserving fighters were overlooked because they werent as popular and didnt bring in the $$$$$. Its simply pathetic really to have someone crowned a champion when that someone can hardly do submissions, doesnt really have a standup game, and for gods sake runs away from punches.

And I find it laughable that somebody can praise boxing given the nonsense that the sanctioning bodies generate. I mean just yesterday it was decided that Maidana would fight Morales for the 140Ibs WBA Interim Title - ignoring the facts that 1) the actual champ Khan is healthy and defending his belt 2) Maidana has only just dropped a previous interim title in an unification match with Khan 3) Morales has done nothing at the weight. I'm glad that at least with the UFC we have world titles that somewhat mean something in MMA.
[/quote]


The term MMA is used often throughout UFC broadcasts, so how are they pushing the term ultimate fighting?? The fact that people refer to MMA sometimes as just UFC is generally a sign of a casual fan or someone new to the sport, I don't understand the need to label them "zombies". I think it's quite understandable that the casual and new fans only follow UFC, most of the champions are generally regarded as the best in the world, though the product is usually PPV it's very accessable, and it's easy to follow. Unlike boxing where we have so many weight divisions, sanctioning bodies and so many differant world champions I'm not sure how anyone can be bothered to keep up too date with it. I like boxing alot, but realistically a world title doesn't mean shit in the sport anymore, not in the fans eyes anyway.
Dave_j1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #32
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Unlike boxing where we have so many weight divisions, sanctioning bodies and so many differant world champions I'm not sure how anyone can be bothered to keep up too date with it. I like boxing alot, but realistically a world title doesn't mean shit in the sport anymore, not in the fans eyes anyway.
This is pretty much what killed boxing for me. I still pay casual attention to it, I'm far from a dedicated follower. There are dozens of sanctioning bodies handing out championships across something like 17 divisions, often with only a few pounds of difference in between. It's ridiculous.
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #33
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
This is pretty much what killed boxing for me. I still pay casual attention to it, I'm far from a dedicated follower. There are dozens of sanctioning bodies handing out championships across something like 17 divisions, often with only a few pounds of difference in between. It's ridiculous.
Exactly how many promotions are there handing out their own championship belts? A bit rich to criticize boxing dont you think, especially when the UFC belt gets handed around like STD in high school.


Quote:
The term MMA is used often throughout UFC broadcasts, so how are they pushing the term ultimate fighting?? The fact that people refer to MMA sometimes as just UFC is generally a sign of a casual fan or someone new to the sport, I don't understand the need to label them "zombies". I think it's quite understandable that the casual and new fans only follow UFC, most of the champions are generally regarded as the best in the world, though the product is usually PPV it's very accessable, and it's easy to follow.
So why arent they called zombies? some brain dead moron walking around sprouting "I like the sport of Ultimate Fighter" instead of MMA deserves that zombie tag. Its like asking someone, what sport do you like and them replying "I like the sport of Baltimore Ravens".
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #34
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Exactly how many promotions are there handing out their own championship belts? A bit rich to criticize boxing dont you think, especially when the UFC belt gets handed around like STD in high school.



So why arent they called zombies? some brain dead moron walking around sprouting "I like the sport of Ultimate Fighter" instead of MMA deserves that zombie tag. Its like asking someone, what sport do you like and them replying "I like the sport of Baltimore Ravens".
Who does that exactly? Your making shit up again aint you
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #35
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
A bit rich to criticize boxing dont you think, especially when the UFC belt gets handed around like STD in high school.
I didn't criticize boxing, I criticized the bullshit that has killed boxing.
Except for the LHW belt in recent years and the HW cluster**** every division has had a stable champion. The LHW title getting passed around is largely due to the fact that the division is stacked so heavily at the top and the champions don't get easy fights.
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #36
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Who does that exactly? Your making shit up again aint you
Educate yourself and see how many times the UFC HW belt has been passed around, the other belts havent been relevant coz the matchups and the UFC division is filled by high ranked but garbage fighters (these fighters are only highly ranked because they work for Zuffa)

Quote:
I didn't criticize boxing, I criticized the bullshit that has killed boxing.
Except for the LHW belt in recent years and the HW cluster**** every division has had a stable champion. The LHW title getting passed around is largely due to the fact that the division is stacked so heavily at the top and the champions don't get easy fights.
Who said boxing is dying? Maybe in America but in other parts of the world its growing. Boxing is not a dying sport, those who tell you only concentrate on the American boxing landscape.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #37
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Educate yourself and see how many times the UFC HW belt has been passed around, the other belts havent been relevant coz the matchups and the UFC division is filled by high ranked but garbage fighters (these fighters are only highly ranked because they work for Zuffa)



Who said boxing is dying? Maybe in America but in other parts of the world its growing. Boxing is not a dying sport, those who tell you only concentrate on the American boxing landscape.
I'm not going to dignify the first point with an answer.

But please tell me where boxing is growing MC. I beg you. Germany perhaps although the success of K2 as independent superstars does raise worrying issues about the extent to which the proceeds of their success is not being reinvested back into the development of the sport. In Britain boxing is bad shape - barely any newspaper coverage, ITV completely withdrawn from the sport, Sky's budget massively cut and events plagued by late withdrawls and squabbles between promoters. In Japan while boxing is in better shape than MMA or Puro its being hit by the same generational move away from combat sports - the ratings the Kameda brothers draw have plummeted.

And you can talk about the sport's popularity in Asia and Mexico all you want but the truth is the fighters who are good enough to makes lots of money come and fight in America. If the Phillipines are this hotbed of boxing to the extent we can ignore the plight of the sport in the West, why is Manny Pacquiao not fighting in his homeland? If Eastern Europe and Russia is filled with all these wonderful heavyweights why do the Klitschkos et al all fight in Germany? If the sport is healthy in the UK why is Haye willing to fight in Germany and Froch and Khan fighting their real fights in America? That's right because the money is in America and Germany!
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #38
Dave_j1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Exactly how many promotions are there handing out their own championship belts? A bit rich to criticize boxing dont you think, especially when the UFC belt gets handed around like STD in high school.



So why arent they called zombies? some brain dead moron walking around sprouting "I like the sport of Ultimate Fighter" instead of MMA deserves that zombie tag. Its like asking someone, what sport do you like and them replying "I like the sport of Baltimore Ravens".
Riiiiiiight, I think people who mistakenly call MMA ultimate fighting probably have less issues than someone who gets so upset by someone calling MMA ultimate fighting that he labels them zombies, don't you think that's just a bit retarded? Seriously dude, if you have such a huge issue with the UFC then just don't watch, because no one gives a **** what you think.
Dave_j1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #39
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_j1985 View Post
Riiiiiiight, I think people who mistakenly call MMA ultimate fighting probably have less issues than someone who gets so upset by someone calling MMA ultimate fighting that he labels them zombies, don't you think that's just a bit retarded? Seriously dude, if you have such a huge issue with the UFC then just don't watch, because no one gives a **** what you think.
This
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #40
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Educate yourself and see how many times the UFC HW belt has been passed around, the other belts havent been relevant coz the matchups and the UFC division is filled by high ranked but garbage fighters (these fighters are only highly ranked because they work for Zuffa)
.
Ok then pal ''educate'' me by naming a welterweight who is better than Georges St Pierre?

You've only been avoiding the question for a few months now, must be hell of a list you are compiling

And lets have a quick peek at the garbage HW's you keep going on about
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Yeah I see your point, those ranking have nothing to do with reality

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #41
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Educate yourself and see how many times the UFC HW belt has been passed around, the other belts havent been relevant coz the matchups and the UFC division is filled by high ranked but garbage fighters (these fighters are only highly ranked because they work for Zuffa).
wow so your saying that A. Silva who has been on the P4P top 3 for yeas now is garbage? GSP also in top 3 for years. BJ penn is also very good. There is more to the UFC than the HW devision, ever though about it?
Randy couture had the title for some time but after him they where no good therefore he wanted to fight with Fedor who had dominated for 10 years to see who was the best HW.
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #42
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
wow so your saying that A. Silva who has been on the P4P top 3 for yeas now is garbage? GSP also in top 3 for years. BJ penn is also very good. There is more to the UFC than the HW devision, ever though about it?
Randy couture had the title for some time but after him they where no good therefore he wanted to fight with Fedor who had dominated for 10 years to see who was the best HW.
That's exactly what he's saying. Your new to the board so I think you may have missed this one, it's a classic

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #43
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
That's exactly what he's saying. Your new to the board so I think you may have missed this one, it's a classic

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Considering Anderson Silva doesnt really have a good record in the other orgs hes fought in and also GSP really hasnt fought anyone in another org. I say that these two arent really relevant.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #44
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Ok then pal ''educate'' me by naming a welterweight who is better than Georges St Pierre?

You've only been avoiding the question for a few months now, must be hell of a list you are compiling

And lets have a quick peek at the garbage HW's you keep going on about
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Yeah I see your point, those ranking have nothing to do with reality

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Again as ive said before, thats impossible to answer since GSP doesnt fight in another org or even fight that many non Americans. Its like American Soccer team Colorado Rapids thinking they are the best team in the world simply because they won the MLS trophy. They might be the best team in America just as GSP the best in America but his ducking international fights/fighters really affects his legacy. This is the same with Anderson Silva who now ducks fighting Asian fighters.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #45
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Zuffa now doing Strikeforce press credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Again as ive said before, thats impossible to answer since GSP doesnt fight in another org or even fight that many non Americans. Its like American Soccer team Colorado Rapids thinking they are the best team in the world simply because they won the MLS trophy. They might be the best team in America just as GSP the best in America but his ducking international fights/fighters really affects his legacy. This is the same with Anderson Silva who now ducks fighting Asian fighters.
So you made it up then?
Which Asian Middleweights do you think will beat Silva. And obviously your not going to name Okami because he's a garbage UFC fighter
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013