Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Need new bag gloves, suggestions?

I'm looking for new bag gloves, not too pricey, but with an emphasis on knuckle protection. My current pair has been the Ringside IMF Tech gloves and even with those my knuckles usually get sore after a couple of rounds on the bag. I tried adding some layers of pre-wrap to my knuckles with my normal handwraps but there wasn't a HUGE improvement, so I was wondering what type of bag gloves may help in this department. What are some suggestions?

Thanks guys.
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict

vCash: 13418
Default Re: Need new bag gloves, suggestions?

Just got the Fighting Sports TRiTech gloves. After using Everlast, Ringside IMF, Grant, and Title, I've determined that these are the best bag gloves I've ever owned. Try a pair.
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

i got the everlast boxing gloves but i used the adidas too and it wasnt half bad TBH
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

If it's just your knuckles, look into using sponges under your wraps, or buy the Winning gel pads. The problem I encounter with this stuff is that now I have a hard time getting my hand into a glove and it's so tight that my hands just hurt while I'm boxing. But no knuckle problems.

You mentioned IMF Techs not working, which are known for their padding. I think that if you're the kind of guy that hurts his knuckles (like me), a glove isn't gonna make the difference. The difference will be in the way you wrap your hands.

Or you could lay down the cash for some Winnings, they might be the only glove that'll help you out.

But if you're going to use sponges/pads, you might look for a glove with a big hand pocket. I know Title Gels have a very wide hand pocket, Reyes and Casanova are known for it as well.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 400

What is your price ceiling
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it along with any further opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
What is your price ceiling
Well if I was to get them tomorrow I'd say about $60, but if I wait a couple of months I'll be able to shell out upwards of $150 towards new ones. But of course if I can get the same knuckle protection from a less expensive pair that fits my current price range, I'd go with that over waiting to be able to pay extra just for the brand name or something.
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Try the sponge thing first. It makes a huge difference and I haven't hurt my knuckles in training since I started using them two years ago. Might be able to put off buying new gloves for a while and save some money.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Everyone knows this but knuckle problems can come from wearing inappropriate Ounce gloves for weight class. I'll be in the market soon, looking at maybe fighting sports or everlast. Just don't want to go too up market though.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 04-14-2011 at 03:13 AM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
Leonius
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Try using more wraps, I use two sets.
Leonius is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeJrs View Post
I'm looking for new bag gloves, not too pricey, but with an emphasis on knuckle protection. My current pair has been the Ringside IMF Tech gloves and even with those my knuckles usually get sore after a couple of rounds on the bag. I tried adding some layers of pre-wrap to my knuckles with my normal handwraps but there wasn't a HUGE improvement, so I was wondering what type of bag gloves may help in this department. What are some suggestions?

Thanks guys.
Not trying to be a butt-head, but you are getting sore using of IMF Tech bag gloves... I call BS. Or you are brand spanking new to Boxing. Or your form is horrible (but you didn't say wrists so I will go with the first two).

Ringside's IMF Tech (or the Fighting Sports) line is about the best you can get as far as knuckle protection goes for the "middle of the road" price range. Granted, the quality has slipped a bit so you might be experiencing "cheap foam", but I thought the quality issues were confined to the stitching. Wow man wow. If you are punching through Ringside foam you might need Winnings and to go pro.

How big are you?

How long have you been Boxing?
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Everyone knows this but knuckle problems can come from wearing inappropriate Ounce gloves for weight class. I'll be in the market soon, looking at maybe fighting sports or everlast. Just don't want to go too up market though.
True, but IMF Techs pretty much nix that issue. They are a "heavy" 14 ozs for the bag gloves (which I assume is what he has by the title) and the sparring versions are the same or BIGGER.

I personally had to retire a pair of bag gloves I loved for being 12oz. Just not enough hand protection.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Not trying to be a butt-head, but you are getting sore using of IMF Tech bag gloves... I call BS.
You're right, I decided to make a thread lying about what I own and about my knuckles getting sore....what would I have to gain by doing that?

Quote:
Or you are brand spanking new to Boxing. Or your form is horrible (but you didn't say wrists so I will go with the first two).
I've been a member of this board for 4 years, why would you assume I'm new to boxing because I get sore knuckles? I'm asking opinions on gloves and for some reason you want to turn this into an interrogation and question my experience.

Take note that I never said I just bought the IMF Tech gloves and they were brand new. I have owned them a while, so obviously the foam isn't 100% anymore, but I'm now looking for a new pair and asking advice as to what other bag gloves (if any) may offer better knuckle protection. Very simple.

Quote:
If you are punching through Ringside foam you might need Winnings and to go pro.
Thank you for the advice!
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

I think I'll try the sponge idea recommended by a few of you and see if that helps in the soreness department...at least to hold me over another couple of months until I can increase my budget to put more money towards a higher-end pair of gloves.
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're right, I decided to make a thread lying about what I own and about my knuckles getting sore....what would I have to gain by doing that?
Some of the same things these guys posting these crazy "backyard Boxing" vids do? I tried to make the statement as "nice" as possible because I realized me calling BS was a bit suspect. I apologize if you took offense.

Quote:
I've been a member of this board for 4 years, why would you assume I'm new to boxing because I get sore knuckles? I'm asking opinions on gloves and for some reason you want to turn this into an interrogation and question my experience.
I missed the part where they said you had to actually Box to join the forum.

You do notice that nobody here really gave you a suggestion on gloves didn't you? You know why? IMF Techs are about the most padded and well made glove in the mid range available. Most Boxing bag gloves don't even come in 14oz and IMF Techs are known to actually weigh more. The one suggestion they did give? Winning knock offs.

I "assumed" you might have just not been familiar with the beginning ache that MANY guys new to Boxing ask about. Even then... I asked. When you think about, it makes sense to ask for clarification before giving random advice huh?

Quote:
Take note that I never said I just bought the IMF Tech gloves and they were brand new. I have owned them a while, so obviously the foam isn't 100% anymore, but I'm now looking for a new pair and asking advice as to what other bag gloves (if any) may offer better knuckle protection. Very simple.
I took note. I also own a pair. I also know people who own pairs. I also own pairs of more expensive bag gloves. It is also well known throughout Boxing that IMF Tech's hold up through the worst conditions and "funk out" before the "wear out". You said they hurt your knuckles and you needed (better protecting) bag gloves. Period.

So first you don't want to be interrogated (for pertinent information) then you want to bring up a bunch of stuff you didn't say that could only be known by interrogation? Nice.

Quote:
Thank you for the advice!
Yeah man. Anytime.

Last edited by bald_head_slick; 04-14-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

so..... if you owned the IMF Techs for awhile, were they always like this???? You seem to have got got work out of them, how about replacing them?

It would be different if you had them for a couple of months and your knuckles were getting sore.

Gotta be the wraps. Sore knuckles on Techs.... Do you tend to knock out your sparring partners?
bck620 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing