Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #16
james4210
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 461
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

I've just noticed your join date, and post count, I had no idea I was speaking to forum royalty lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Because there are already ARE rules that suit the style of Diaz. They already stand fighters back up for lack of ground action, they already have to wear gloves that protect a strikers hands and ruin a grapplers grip, they already can't knee to the head while they are holding their opponent down, they already can't headbutt their opponent who is already down.
I think it's a matter of opinion about standing fighters up, because or a fighter has to do is throw the odd elbow strike here there is not uncommon for virtually the whole round to be on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Not allowing Elbows isn't going to prevent the lay and pray. Nobody likes the lay and pray, and if you take away yet another striking option from the top position, then you are only limiting their offense even more... and forcing to throw only punches. If you do this... you will likely see less action as fighter who are already prone to lay and pray simply won't strike often at all, because they have to create a lot of space to do it.
Work that mean that the fight will get stood up quicker? And you've heard the argument that the space required to throw punches gives opportunities to escape. A bit like having a passing space in a racetrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Finally, because this isn't "let's take a certain style of fighting and make rules that suit that fighter because some people find it more interesting" Martial Arts. It's Mixed Martial Arts and the entire point of it is that you are supposed to be able to bring your own discipline into the fight and be able to apply it effectively without rules preventing you from doing so. That's why I love MMA... it gives everyone a chance to prove exactly what they can do. If they want the ground game taken out, then they should just put Muay Thai in the cage. I would watch it... sounds fun, but it wouldn't be MMA.
I admire your pure philosophy about this. It is the true spirit of mixed Martial arts for people to bring anything to the table and see what works. This is what made the sport so exciting particularly in the beginning. we learn that fighting wasn't like the kung fu movies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
If you can't stop your opponent from taking you down and controlling you, then tough shit... you better train harder. If you have trained as well as you could and you still can't stop your opponent from taking you down at will and controlling you... then maybe MMA isn't the path you should take.
I am from England, and the above comment is like saying to a homeless bum, if you don't like being on the streets get a job and become wealthy. It's sort of true. But what you have to understand is that wrestling does not exist in the United Kingdom at all. In 30 years I have never seen a single contest, never heard a word spoken about it, vaguely aware of it from American films. I do not know why that is. Or why wrestling is so popular in America.

So basically having rules particularly suited to wrestlers and I sincerely believe they are is very nice jobs for the boys. Basically an American only sport. Okay I'm crying to mummy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
I love to see all of the different styles, to be honest. However, I do like to see fighters who are out to finish their opponent. Whether that be striking on their feet, submissions on the ground, Ground and pound, whatever it takes. Usually when watching MMA I tend to prefer what ever style the fighter that I like more has during each fight. I'm a wrestler and it frustrates me when some wrestlers take down a fighter that I prefer and my favorite fighter can't stop it... then on the other hand it annoys me when my favorite fighter during the next match is a wrestler, and they get stood up repeatedly, even though it's the guy on bottom who is stalling out the action. It works both ways.
Interesting perspective about stalling working both ways. Can I congratulate you on being a wrestler I've come to the conclusion is just about the ultimate Martial Art. What a great way to fight, whereby end things really quickly by taking your opponent down and you can also choose not to harm them too much. no missing teeth you can give them bit of a slam and hold them down and ask them if they want to give up. I'm only bitter our country knows nothing about this fighting method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Sometimes I feel that if you took out automatic standups from top position, then it would create more action. This would be because the guy on bottom would know that he can't be saved, and he is going to have to work off his back, creating opportunites for the top man to find openings to attack himself. Automatic standups don't work too well, because 9 times out of 10, they are going to end up right back in the same position seconds later anyways. You might be surprised to know that fighters train to stalemate a fight from their back. It's often very difficult to do too much in MMA, when someone is just sitting in a closed guard, playing all defense and not even making an attempt to fight back, escape, or submit you. Especially considering how limited the striking from the top position already is due to the rules. If you could just let them lay there and hold your arms as you headbutt the shit out of them... it would be a different story.
Interesting what you say there, I wouldn't mind repeated takedowns because they are great to watch. Again interesting perspective about the guy underneath the stalling. Your last comment, I totally agree that wrestling is a totally badass fighting method.

But unless you're doing things for a hobby, I think the audience that is paying should have some say in what they want to see in a democratic way. I love mixed Martial arts, but it's highly embarrassing when I invite some friends to show them the sport and a see 15 minutes of groundhugging and they're laughing and saying it's rubbish. But luckily there are also loads very exciting fights. Good luck with your career
james4210 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

the dude asked for the finish if anyone had it as a gif and nobody has givin it to him.
so here i am.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

cheers.

right click, save as.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Extremely effective. Although i didn't like seeing a veteran like Kawajiri get OWNED like that. He was beaten from pillar to post. Melendez is the truth thats real.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

yeah but melendez didnt need those elbows. He would have finished him with punches just as easily.

Melendez is one of the top lightweights, I would love to see him compete against the best the ufc has to offer. Actually I would love to see him vs eddie alverez most of all, even though thats the fight that is least likely since the purchase of strikeforce(since alverez is the bellator lightweight champ)
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #21
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

1 never heard of melendez, but I'm guessing this is some sort of midget fighting

2 there are many things that make me so happy in life. Another mans elbows is not one of them
Polymath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #22
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
the dude asked for the finish if anyone had it as a gif and nobody has givin it to him.
so here i am.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
LATERS!!!! Shouldve done zumba knees instead of elbows though
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #23
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

loving the shoulder nudge that put kawajiri on his back.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #24
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

it was more of a tackle... Melendez got the skills.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013