Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Can he become the GOAT?
Yes 35 71.43%
No 14 28.57%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #16
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can Anderson Silva surpass fedor as the greatest ever?

I think he probably already has. He has a great resume, won MOST of them in style and nobody at MW has a better one in my opinion. Hendo is his best win, and by quite some margin if your looking at top level ATG's he's beaten. Maybe Anderson needs another marque name, like a GSP or another LHW like Shogun/Jones/Rampage ect to truly push him above Fedor though, as Fedor has Nog and Cro Cop to pull out of the bag
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #17
Amrn4s
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I think so. He's been in some deep water before and prevailed. He is more than just a fighter. I consider him a very damn good martial artist.
Amrn4s is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m258/Wotan1105/fedor****puncher_small.gif[/IMG]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

fedor is atm the greatest but silva has all the potential in the world to surpass that and dont forget that fedor had dominated the HW looking like the guy you use to bully in on the school ground and he is small for his weight division.
he has mark coleman, nog, crocop tim sylvia and brett rogers all who where top competition at on time in his bag.
A. Silva who has he got to compare to that? not so much but if he does what randy did and take 2 weight classes at the same time or as he said before that he wanted to go down to WW take the belt then go to LHW then HW to take those belts to then he sure has out done fedor.
but as he is now he hasnt
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #19
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Brett Rogers has never been top competition. And Fedor faced faded versions of Coleman and Sylvia (and Arlovski too).

When Fedor dominated the heavyweight division he was not small for the weight class - Nog and Cro Cop are both around the 230Ibs mark. The superheavyweights of the time were poor fighters - usually both slow and uncoordinated. As bigger, better athletes came into the division Fedor struggled - even Rogers gave him problems and Silva destroyed him. And let's remember Silva is not some unstoppable beast - Werdum beat him and Arlovski managed to avoid taking any serious damage.

Silva has moved up in weight - when he was at Shooto he was their 168Ibs champion. A few mental lapses aside he's been a dominant force for years and his UFC run has been incredible for the quality and variety of opposition he's defeated. World class wrestlers (Henderson, Sonnen), world class grapplers (Leites, Maia), great all round fighters (Franklin - who's defeated every other middleweight he's faced in the UFC), decent strikers (Belfort, Cote, Leben). Its a resume that's superior to both Fedor's and GSP's (although a victory over Shields brings them level in my mind).
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #20
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m258/Wotan1105/fedor****puncher_small.gif[/IMG]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

fedor is atm the greatest but silva has all the potential in the world to surpass that and dont forget that fedor had dominated the HW looking like the guy you use to bully in on the school ground and he is small for his weight division.
he has mark coleman, nog, crocop tim sylvia and brett rogers all who where top competition at on time in his bag.
A. Silva who has he got to compare to that? not so much but if he does what randy did and take 2 weight classes at the same time or as he said before that he wanted to go down to WW take the belt then go to LHW then HW to take those belts to then he sure has out done fedor.
but as he is now he hasnt
You didnt just mention Sylvia, Coleman and Rogers as top Competition' did you Abba boy? Good wins in the context of the time he beat them, yes, undoubtedly. So if you really want to be dismissive of Silvas wins, name one ATG that Fedor beat who was consistently over 230lbs throughout his career? Mirko and Nog were there and there abouts in weight, but the rest are what in polite British society are what are referred to as 'cans'
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #21
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
He and GSP already have.

No they havent!

damn, fedor loses and already you bitches are pulling apart his legacy... its disgraceful.

Who let the gimp out of your closet Will, and let him start posting for you again?

You have a extremely bipolar track record of posting on here.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I would like to remind you all that fedor dominated the 2nd and 3rd best MMA heavyweights of all time in their primes(nog and cro-cop respectively). He even fought them at there strengths and still they were unable to compete with him. Fedor went undefeated for 8 years and 28 fights and beat Arlovski, Sylvia, and rogers when he was on the physical decline.

Fedor is still the best MMA has ever seen but silva does have a chance to surpass him but he isnt their yet. Neither is gsp, but he has many years left in his career to do that.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #23
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
Maybe if he beats GSP and a few other big names.
i would really like to see him go up to 205 and fight jon jones. If he can beat jones and become a 2 division champ then his legacy will look better than fedor.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
What do you guys consider Silva's best win?.
Dan Henderson or Rich Franklin --at the time franklin was dominating the 185 lbs weight class and then silva comes in and destroyed him. Henderson is also another good win just cuz of dan's accomplishments.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
I would like to remind you all that fedor dominated the 2nd and 3rd best MMA heavyweights of all time in their primes(nog and cro-cop respectively). He even fought them at there strengths and still they were unable to compete with him. Fedor went undefeated for 8 years and 28 fights and beat Arlovski, Sylvia, and rogers when he was on the physical decline.

Fedor is still the best MMA has ever seen but silva does have a chance to surpass him but he isnt their yet. Neither is gsp, but he has many years left in his career to do that.
True big nog and crocop were a beast when fedor fought them and he beat them both. I still have the pride fc dvd where fedor and big nog fought. I can't believe the way fedor dominated noguiera in that fight. He was unbelievable.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #26
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Belfort View Post
Dan Henderson or Rich Franklin --at the time franklin was dominating the 185 lbs weight class and then silva comes in and destroyed him. Henderson is also another good win just cuz of dan's accomplishments.

I would also add Hayato Sakurai first fighter to defeat Sakurai it was at sakurai's best yet he was unable to press his advantage being the much superior wrestler. Jeremy horn is another big win a closer fight but still silva clearly won. The Maia win is also a great win, even with all the showboating. Vitor belfort was also a spectacular showing.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No they havent!

damn, fedor loses and already you bitches are pulling apart his legacy... its disgraceful.

Who let the gimp out of your closet Will, and let him start posting for you again?

You have a extremely bipolar track record of posting on here.
Heh so if I disagree with you I'm a gimp? Okay gotcha.

Fedor was a great Pride heavyweight champion. But his run on top in Pride was shorter than either GSP or Silva's in the UFC and involved less defenses against top opposition. And the standard of opposition he's faced since the end of Pride is not that which a P4P fighter should be facing at all.

But let's be clear about this, Its not like I'm saying he was a bum or no good. I'd put him in my Top 5 ATG along with GSP, Silva, Frank Shamrock and Randy Couture.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #28
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I would also add Hayato Sakurai first fighter to defeat Sakurai it was at sakurai's best yet he was unable to press his advantage being the much superior wrestler. Jeremy horn is another big win a closer fight but still silva clearly won. The Maia win is also a great win, even with all the showboating. Vitor belfort was also a spectacular showing.
yea i hated that vitor fight. The maia win was good but he should have finished him. He could have knocked him out if he just kept punching.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #29
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah its too bad it didnt go longer vitor was opening up with combinations, I really wanted to see a classic war...I would watch a rematch but I doubt it will happen.

Vitor Belfort is an exciting fighter hope he sticks around at middleweight.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #30
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeah its too bad it didnt go longer vitor was opening up with combinations, I really wanted to see a classic war...I would watch a rematch but I doubt it will happen.

Vitor Belfort is an exciting fighter hope he sticks around at middleweight.
yep i heard they were trying to make a vitor vs wanderlei silva rematch and vitor said he is interested. I would love to see that fight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum