Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Can he become the GOAT?
Yes 35 71.43%
No 14 28.57%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #31
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Can Anderson Silva surpass fedor as the greatest ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Heh so if I disagree with you I'm a gimp? Okay gotcha.

Fedor was a great Pride heavyweight champion. But his run on top in Pride was shorter than either GSP or Silva's in the UFC and involved less defenses against top opposition. And the standard of opposition he's faced since the end of Pride is not that which a P4P fighter should be facing at all.

But let's be clear about this, Its not like I'm saying he was a bum or no good. I'd put him in my Top 5 ATG along with GSP, Silva, Frank Shamrock and Randy Couture.

Im not saying that at all mr cooling, just that you are quite a inconsistent poster, sometimes you make a very intelegent argument even inspiring to read, then other times its like the little mutant living in your belly takes over the keyboard and types utter shit.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

sorry just having a laugh.
yaca you is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #32
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

The only thing in his way is himself. His is so far above the rest that he already lost the killer instinct I love the guy but, besides the vitor fighting he has been rather boring to watch.
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #33
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf View Post
Yea but there wont be another Fedor. He has instincts like noone else.
I can assure you that Anderson has instincts to match. The James Irvin fight proves that.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #34
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBeast View Post
The only thing in his way is himself. His is so far above the rest that he already lost the killer instinct I love the guy but, besides the vitor fighting he has been rather boring to watch.

yea i think he got bored after a while. I hope he will be motivated in his next fight against okami since that was the last man to beat him.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #35
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

By the time he does that, He will be in Jon Jones rear view. Being the GOAT sometimes requires timing. Jon Jones making a great fighter like Shogun (good or bad knees) looked like a Cage Rage fighter is a turning point in MMAs evolution.

So no its a little too late for Anderson.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #36
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
By the time he does that, He will be in Jon Jones rear view. Being the GOAT sometimes requires timing. Jon Jones making a great fighter like Shogun (good or bad knees) looked like a Cage Rage fighter is a turning point in MMAs evolution.

So no its a little too late for Anderson.
jones hasn't accomplished anything to be even mentioned in the same sentence with anderson silva. When jones has clean up the light heavyweight division and then come up and beat former champions at heavyweight then you can mention him in the same sentence as the GREAT andrson silva.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #37
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Of course. So can GSP. It's premature to say Jones, just because he hasn't even defended yet. I would even make an argument for BJ to be able to do it if he wins the WW belt again in the next couple years.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #38
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

For me what is making Fedor the GOAT is that he beat the best at there own game. Nog on the ground and CC on is foot.

AS and GSP are really great fighter, but there is no chance in hell we are gonna see that from them.

Would have been great to see AS dominate Maia on the ground.
Or GSP beat Hardy on foot.

This is what make Fedor special IMO !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #39
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
For me what is making Fedor the GOAT is that he beat the best at there own game. Nog on the ground and CC on is foot.

AS and GSP are really great fighter, but there is no chance in hell we are gonna see that from them.

Would have been great to see AS dominate Maia on the ground.
Or GSP beat Hardy on foot.

This is what make Fedor special IMO !
Silva beat Henderson and Sonnen on the ground

GSP beat both Hughes and Fitch with wrestling

(you can also point to Couture's boxing setting up his victories against Belfort, Liddell and to a lesser extent Sylvia, and Shamrock in many ways developed the idea of a fighter looking to branch out from their core discipline and become well-rounded)
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #40
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Belfort View Post
jones hasn't accomplished anything to be even mentioned in the same sentence with anderson silva. When jones has clean up the light heavyweight division and then come up and beat former champions at heavyweight then you can mention him in the same sentence as the GREAT andrson silva.
To be fair I don't think he was saying that - more that Silva would have found it easier to move up and face the likes of Shogun and Griffin than Jones. Which is probably true - Jones denies Silva the advantages in speed, height and reach that he'd enjoy against many top light heavyweights. And its a bad stylistic matchup given Jones wrestling and fast-developing grappling.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #41
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
Silva beat Henderson and Sonnen on the ground

GSP beat both Hughes and Fitch with wrestling

(you can also point to Couture's boxing setting up his victories against Belfort, Liddell and to a lesser extent Sylvia)
I've got to admit you are right with GSP but it's not like he always beat is opponent at there own strenght.

I give you the Henderson fight, but no ****in way in hell you can say Anderson dominated Sonnen on the ground. He won the fight yes but he was far from dominating him on the ground.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #42
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
I've got to admit you are right with GSP but it's not like he always beat is opponent at there own strenght.

I give you the Henderson fight, but no ****in way in hell you can say Anderson dominated Sonnen on the ground. He won the fight yes but he was far from dominating him on the ground.
But he did beat him. Which is what I said . I also think more and more that Silva went with the mindset that he wanted to make Sonnen tap.

And GSP does avoid his opponent's strengths but that is a smart approach to fighting. No one things less of Ali for not slugging it out against Foreman - people appreciate his intelligent strategy. Greatness comes in different ways - the way GSP can choose where the fight takes place and has the variety of offensive weapons where he can stand or wrestle as he sees fit is very impressive.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #43
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
But he did beat him. Which is what I said . I also think more and more that Silva went with the mindset that he wanted to make Sonnen tap.

And GSP does avoid his opponent's strengths but that is a smart approach to fighting. No one things less of Ali for not slugging it out against Foreman - people appreciate his intelligent strategy. Greatness comes in different ways - the way GSP can choose where the fight takes place and has the variety of offensive weapons where he can stand or wrestle as he sees fit is very impressive.
That's why I'm saying Fedor is special. He not only win, but dominated pretty much everybody in is prime at there own strength. Thing that GSP and AS rarely do.

I'm not taking away there accomplishment, I just think Fedor was more... spectacular and he took more risk. The bigger the risk the bigger the reward most of the time.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #44
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think your exaggerating the extent to which Fedor took these risks. You look at say the second Nog fight and its clear he wanted to stand with Nog and stay away from his guard - almost every time the fight went to the ground it was Nog that instigated it and Fedor usually jumped out of the guard at the first opportunity. Likewise he went for a number of throws and trips against Cro Cop.

Now I'm not crictising that and the way he was able to dominant whereever the fight went is impressive but he clearly fought to a gameplan.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #45
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think your exaggerating the extent to which Fedor took these risks. You look at say the second Nog fight and its clear he wanted to stand with Nog and stay away from his guard - almost every time the fight went to the ground it was Nog that instigated it and Fedor usually jumped out of the guard at the first opportunity. Likewise he went for a number of throws and trips against Cro Cop.

Now I'm not crictising that and the way he was able to dominant whereever the fight went is impressive but he clearly fought to a gameplan.
I think you need to check that fight again. I have just watched it, Nogeira is on the ground the whole time and it's the exactly the same as the first fight. Fedor jump into Nog guard repeatedly and the whole fight is on the ground, the only time Fedor gets up it when Nog is pushing him out.

For the CC fight I'm not saying he never once tried to take him down, but he was able to trade with him and most of the fight is on there foot.

Thx man I havn't watch those fight in a while... !

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum