Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Jag's Boxing Log

Figured I would start keeping track of what I practiced in the gym.

Today,

5 min warm-up with continuous Jump Rope.

3 rounds with the Slip ball, bobbing and weaving before throwing 1-2's and double jabs.

3 rounds of bobbing and weaving under rope, switching it up every round with different combos being thrown as you come up from the bob.

3 rounds of Speed bag.

3 rounds of Heavy bag, training double jab combo's and moving around the bag.

Stomach work is done between each round til the bell rings.
JagOfTroy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Jag's Boxing Log

To note: I generally don't do a lot of roadwork right now as I do about 4-5 hours of sprint/dashes at my job at least 5 days a week. That's all my body can handle right now with strength training and boxing thrown in.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Forgot to past my training from the past Saturday.
Can't recall for the life of me what we did that day but instead, I'll just skip to yesterday's training.

Start off with stretching/warming up.

3 rounds of foot work, each round moving involving either side to side or forward and backward, then with jabs thrown in.

5 mins. of Jump Rope

Circuit training

1 round Tie-down bag
1 round Double end bag
1 round Speed bag
1 round Swinging bag

Burn outs

3 rounds of 1 min, punching for speed
1 round of 1 min, punching all-out.

25 push-ups
25 leg lifts
25 v oblique crunches
25 bicycle crunches
50 reg crunches

Stretch

Jumped back on the double end bag for a little bit.

Rest for about 20-25 mins.

Practiced footwork in the ring, focusing on the proper way to move by pushing with the outside of the thigh, rather than pulling myself along using the inner muscles of the thigh.

Had another guy at my height in the ring so we alternated throwing slow left hooks while in the pocket, then bobbing and weaving to the right underneath the hook, then loading up on the hip to fire a nice right hook or right straight to the exposed area on the body after ducking the hook.

Earlier today @ about 3:30 AM I went into the garage to practice the same movements I did yesterday in the ring. I feel a lot more comfortable moving forward and stepping into my jab's now but I always feel off-balance whenever moving side to side.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Did a triple today. Man, do I feel smoked right now.

Can't even remember most of the early half but I'll try to put in what I can.

1 round Speed Bag (makes me use the tiniest speed bag now)
1 round Heavy Bag
1 round of chain lifts, to the front, down, and then to the side.
1 mile run
1 round of Double End bag

3 rounds on Heavy Bag
1st with Jabs
2nd&3rd open bag

200 crunches

Stomach work in-between each round.
There was probably more but I can't recall.

2nd hour

3 min Jump Rope/Stretch

Then we did a series, two times.

25 Jumping Jacks
25 Body Builders
25 Mountain Climbers
25 Push-ups
25 Leg squats
25 Terminators
25 Sumo Squats
25 Jumping toe touch
50 Crunches

1 min rest, do it again.

Did a series of kettleball lifts, not really sure of what the variations are called but I was well smoked by the time I got to it.

7 mins of stomach work with no rest, doing the same exercise for each full minute and switching.

Third hour

5 mins Jump Rope

3 rounds heavy bag (Jabs and then open bag)

3 rounds double end bag

3 rounds Speed bag

2 rounds tie-down bag

3 rounds Jump rope.

And I'm spent. . . .
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Rest day today.
Bones in my hands, wrists, forearms, and legs are actually feeling sore more than my muscles.
Being treated to sushi is a delicious surprise however!

Still ended up doing neck bridges and stomach work marathon. Ufff, sooo full now.

Last edited by JagOfTroy; 02-17-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: More.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Yesterday was strength training.
Planned to go again today but the effing gym closes at 7pm on a Saturday.

Still managed to get a workout in at home though since it was still early.

Jump Rope'd until I couldn't continue.

Worked the swinging bag in my garage, working on angles and foot work, perfecting the technique for the jab, using double jab and starting to use triple jabs. Drilled straights until my elbow hurt so as to get that proper mechanic and make my punches tighter. Threw in hooks every now and then. Finished with a relentless triple jab, straight combo over and over without pause until my hands had gone numb.

It is hard to keep a tight guard but I can feel that the tighter my punches are thrown, the more snap they have to it and the more power seems to come with it as well. Just gotta keep punching till you don't think you can go any further, then just keep on going as long as you can.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Strength training yesterday
2 hours of boxing training this morning.
I can't remember exactly what I worked on but I'm becoming more aware of what needs to be worked on most right now.
From my elbow down to the tips of my fingers, I feel a constant soreness right now. When I woke up, it was even hard to make a fist as the pain is concentrated along the knife edge of the hand and across the middle before the knuckles.

Coach told me it's either from my wraps being too fight or holding my fist clenched too tight. I believe it could be a combination of both.
Tomorrow, if it doesn't feel like my hand is gonna break, will be the start of drilling down this new technique on how to punch by snatching and clenching upon impact of the strike.
My balance is still in need of work but that only comes through practice.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Did a double today.
Coach smoked the hell out of us using some cardio/leg conditioning circuits.

Warmed-up with 45 Jumping Jacks, 25 Push-ups, and stretch.

Each round was 3 minutes long. For the box jumps, we did 1 min and a half before switching legs.

Started off with box jumps, putting one leg on the box and then exploding upward off the leg on the box. First variation is with leg in, second variation is with leg fully extended out to get the hamstring, hips, and glutes really activated.

Second was a rail road track looking thing, jump with both feet in the box, then outside of that box, then hop into the next one with both feet. Turn around, go back the same way.

Next was hurdles that were spaced different distances, the goal being to hop like a bunny off the balls of your feet in only one bounce, then run high-knee through a simulated 'tire drill' like a football player would use.

After that, hop on the hyper-extension machine and work the obliques repeatedly until the round is over.

Third circuit from the last was tricep dips, followed by pushups, done over and over in sets of 25 till the round is over.

Next is quick feet, pretty simple. Touch the dots on the domino with your feet as quick as possible.

And lastly, the Heisman. Cones with a low string between them, step in with one foot, rotate out and plant the other one, keep going and turn around and go back.

Once the circuit was completed, we went back to the railroad track on the floor and did a shuffle, putting one foot in and then the other one, all the way down to the other side.

There may have been something else but it slips me at the moment.

Did 200 crunches and that was the end of session 1.

Session 2

5 rounds of heavy bag,

4 rounds of double-end bag. One of the fighters there gave me pointers on slipping, which really helped me get a better idea of it. Said I was going too low and leaning forward too much.

3 rounds of Speed bag

2 more rounds of Heavy Bag

3 rounds of 3 min Jump Rope.

Stomach work is done between each round til it's time to get up and do the next.

I forgot the name of this one, believe it was called Face off. You and a partner face each other on the domino. When coach says go, you move your feet as quick as possible in place and then when he yells Out, you shift off and do 15 push-ups, then get behind the other fighter til he gets out'd.

Some of these exercises were typical football drills but a lot of it helps with the leg conditioning, footwork, and balance that I desperately need.

I noticed from today that my power for my punches has really stepped up a notch. Even with a tire around the base of a 90-100 lbs. heavy bag, I was still able to hit it hard enough with my straights that the tire would move around from the strikes. I'm sure it's been greatly helped since the coach told me last time to not clench my fist until your about to strike the bag.

I think it is official as well to note that the pain around the knife edge of my hands is being caused by my wraps being too tight.

Other than that, it was a great day all in all. Starting to get an idea of who the true fighters are at my gym, and noticing that the closest one to my size is at least two weight classes above me.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Today was mainly a rest/work day.

Ran from 5 pm till 10 pm. Earlier, my ankles were sore but now the sides of my calves feel brutal from sprinting. Training early tomorrow!

Also glad my dad is coming down next week so we can go see ESPN Friday Night Fights live on March 4th. The main card sounds like a great match.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #10
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

As always.. I forget to remember details but will try to remember my best.
Did a double today at the gym with the coach.

Jump Rope for 3 rounds.
Speed bag for 4 rounds.
Double-end Bag for 4 rounds.
Heavy Bag for 4 rounds.

Stomach work for 10 mins straight at the end and in between each round.

The advanced session came afterward.
Got to do mitt drills for the first time and also learned how to do mitts for another boxer. It has to be one of the best exercises as it really hones the punches with a live, moving target.
Did mitt work back and forth with another guy for about 20-25 mins.
Jump Roped for 3 more rounds.
Heavy bag for 6 rounds.

And anything else, is a mystery to me at this time.

Strength training tomorrow!!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Ended up sleeping in for a long time since I probably had a huge sleep debt to catch up on.
Slept for so long, I ended up missing the gym.
Can't believe it closes so early still on a weekend.

I've been reflecting on what I've learned over the past few weeks and was kinda glad to see that I've made improvements from when I first started this log.
For one, I was wrapping my hands too tightly around the bottom and top of the middle part of the hand. That coupled with clenching my fists tight the entire time started to make my hands hurt just by making a fist. I've been getting used to keeping my hands more open til I'm turning over my punches and clenching just before hitting the bag. It is noticeably faster and if done correctly, generates quite a bit more force from the feel of it without really effecting the hand too much. More importantly though, my hand doesn't really hurt anymore so I'm able to keep training.

Getting use to the speed bag again was pretty simple. I prefer to use two hands, continuously firing on the bag once the sweet spot is found. Only trouble I have is if my hands slow down at all or get caught up in each other on the switch, it pretty much makes me miss the spot I need to connect with to keep it going smoothly. It takes a lot of concentration but I'm glad I'm able to do it for longer durations the more I work with it.

Shadowboxing is becoming more important as it helps to work on all that you'll be using in a fight, without having to worry about being punched at the moment. The mitts also proved to be very effective and find myself looking forward to the next time I can use them.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Long day. . .

As it's the end of the month, it was time to take care of my vehicle registration. Only I had to go down to the DMV to do so.

Managed to run back across town after that was completed, get to my house and get change instead of going back to bed, then headed off to the Gym Rat to put in some hours.

I got there in time for the advanced conditioning class and proceeded to break out into a sweat from this usual, torturous training.

Several exercises later that burned out the shoulders and legs, then it's boxing time.

Shadowbox 3 rounds @ 3 mins

Heavy bag 3 rounds @ 3 mins

Heavy bag variation 3 rounds @ 3 mins.

There is a tie-down bag on the left and then a swinging bag to the far right. Throw the combination used for that round, then side-step dance your way over to the other bag and throw the combo. Rinse, repeat.

Next we got in the ring.

One guy holds this flattened medicine ball looking thing at about the area of their chest with an arm cupping underneath and bracing it on top. His job is to pressure the fighter, pressing towards him and forcing him to move around the ring. The fighter needs to use his power and footwork to keep from getting cornered and to push back his opposition. I was surprised at how solid my punches were connecting but for some reason, you feel like a different beast once you've stepped through those ropes.

2 rounds @ 3 mins.

One of the last things I remember doing, one guy lies on his back and the other sits on the ground in front of him and holds his calves as he has to pull himself up and then shoot up on to his feet.

25 of those is a killer.

As always, there was consistent stomach work throughout the entire time but there's no need to mention it 50 times.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member

Family came into town so my training had ceased for a small time while I kicked back with them and had a vacation for once.

All the while, my mind has constantly been thinking about the different applications and better way's to perfect the technique I'm being taught.

Today though, I will make sure to get into the gym and start my lifting routine once more. Then hopefully, I'll be able to box again, starting next week since this one is almost over and I'm recovering from a passing illness over the course of two days.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
_R_NK

vCash: 500

Nice log! What gym do you train at? I'm looking for a gym in orlando!
_R_NK is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs