Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #46
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Where do you rank Floyd Mayweather as far as legacy..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Exactly that, you forgot James Toney as well
Toney is overrated

Quote:
Yeah, Pac has got to blitz him early IMO, and I think he will, Mosleys punch resistance looked seriously lacking against Floyd IMO.
Nah, not early for me.

I think he'll be slightly wary of Shane's power..... even though he's lost some handspeed he's still up there with the quickest in that respect too.

It's his footwork and stance that are all wrong, unless you stand in front of him of course

In which case it's goodnight
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #47
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Margo wasn't old or shot four/five years ago when Papa Bob was offering Floyd between 5-8 mill to fight him
It was under 4 years ago (after hatton v floyd and marg had just recently fought) and Arum made negotions impossible. The bad blood between Floyd and Arum is hardly a secret and Arum has got in the way of a lot of potential fights. I read an article recently that opened my eyes a bit more to Arum and his antics, I'll try to find it.

ps. Marg was always over-rated anyhow imo and floyd would have no trouble out pointing such a plodding comeforward fighter (even with loaded hand wraps lol )
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #48
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator View Post
It was under 4 years ago (after hatton v floyd and marg had just recently fought) and Arum made negotions impossible. The bad blood between Floyd and Arum is hardly a secret and Arum has got in the way of a lot of potential fights. I read an article recently that opened my eyes a bit more to Arum and his antics, I'll try to find it.

ps. Marg was always over-rated anyhow imo and floyd would have no trouble out pointing such a plodding comeforward fighter (even with loaded hand wraps lol )
Still, he didn't face him. And with his chin and determination, Margo would've made Floyd work harder than most despite being one dimensional.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #49
Boxen

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyholmes View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Look how cool Mayweather remained after getting hurt, like most great fighters came back from a bad round to win the next, alongside Sweet pea as one of the best defensive fighters ever.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #50
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Most great fighters face great fighters.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #51
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Says the man with a Roy Jones avatar
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #52
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Cunt

Anyway, the Top 30 kick Roys ass when he asks if he's allowed in, your hatred of Tobey means you cannot see how good of a win that is

The top 50 laugh at Floyd
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #53
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I acknowledge how good a win it was, probably on a par with his win over Virgil Hill a couple of years later.

But I maintain that (like many others it has to be said) Toney's slate doesn't really do him justice - there's a couple of losses to Montell Griffin and also Tiberi (who? ) which to a point offset his wins over the likes of Nunn, Jirov etc.

In this crappy HW era he could have made some serious noise in the ring instead of outside it. Shame.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #54
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

People blame Floyd for fights not being made and for going after the biggest money fights but it is far from being completely his own fault, he's been ducked himself and fights have been politically difficult to make. Lets look at who he didn't fight:

Margarito: Arum offered a 3 fight contract, with guarantees of 8m/7m/6m for Marg/Cotto/Hatton publically stating a DLH fight would be unmakable, 1 fight later FMJ makes the DLH fight and 30m

Cotto: pretty much the same situation as above, although Arum stated Cotto wasn't ready when both were at 140. Hatton was a bigger name/payday than Cotto at this stage

Tyszu: talked about fighting him, different TV networks and hard to make, although it may have come off if Zoo beat Hatton

Harris: the haters forget this 1, Mayweather actually removed himself from being Harris's mando at 140 saying 'who's Vivian Harris' and took the bigger money fight with Gatti. May have happened if Harris got by Maussa

Witter: WBC mandatory

Pacquaio: who walked away from negotiations turning down 50% with the lineal champ

At the end of the day Mayweather is held to a higher standard than Manny Pacquaio, no one cares that Manny didn't face Joan Guzman, Barrios, Sotto at 122-130, didn't take the rubber with JMM, didn't face any of the best names at 135 and hasn't yet faced the top name at 147 or fight Paul Williams and took 1 of the most plastic belts in history at 154

Then there's the names FMJ was chasing early in his career: Hamed, Prime DLH, Prime Mosley.

Overall I'd say Mayweather does prefer easier fights but will fight the bigger names for the right price and was certainly chasing allot of the big names
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #55
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Yeah, I don't see the wisdom in Pacquiao facing Mosley.

Even though Mosley is obviously past it, Manny's style is more to Shane's liking (than Floyd's) and is hittable with right hands..... it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Shane lands a biggie and seriously wobbles Pacquiao - just a question of whether he could finish him off.

To me, unless Manny stops him there's little to be gained from this one - Shane's been thrashed on points three times before.....
Alongside JMM he's the only valid PPV fight to be made, he is a big danger especially early. I have a feeling we'll see threads stating 'Pacquaio is past his prime' after he has a hard time with Mosley
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #56
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

BB; I acknowledge Toneys poor showing at 175 as much as anyone. But a lot of greats have has bad patches during their careers, or an inconsistent run. Toberi is the biggest sore point for me, but the mans an old timer.

Nunn in itself is a bigger win than anything on Mayweathers resume, although as I recently posted (in some detail, can't be arsed again) I'd probably rank Floyd a few spots higher.

Toneys 'efforts' at HW show how well he matches up in the 'attributes' section; his feet were never his strong point but he was blessed with insane skill and an ATG chin to go with it.

Some amazing wins scattered over a few weights, never stopped (as a boxer, I actually think he lasted longer than he should've against Couture, although of course it means diddly squat/**** all/zilch towards his standing as a boxer) and I'd give him the skillset nod over Floyd, on the sheer basis we've seen it implemented against much sterner challenges.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #57
boxing4eva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For me his legacy will be one of wasted potential. Had he not started this retirement nonsense after De Le Hoya and remained active, his record would be phenomenal. Now he'll just be remembered as the boxer who was going to fight Pac but didn't
boxing4eva is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum