Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #61
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: did you guys see Teddy Atlas with Skip Bayless saying Mike was overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
tyson had 4 fights? atlas is dosent know math, that dumbass needs to learn how to count. then he even mentioned the mcbride and williams fights. but then again, if a guy tried to force himself on your family member, you'd hate him for life too.
I noticed that also. McBride and Williams were at the end of Tyson's career. If we put up a list of greats and the guys they lost to when they got old, it would not be an impressive list of fighters. Ali lost to Berbick. Frazier lost or got a draw to a guy named Jumbo Cummings. Atlas just does not like Mike. Anyone can say, no great fighter would lose to a guy named Jumbo Cummings.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #62
Silver
The Champ is Here
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: did you guys see Teddy Atlas with Skip Bayless saying Mike was overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I noticed that also. McBride and Williams were at the end of Tyson's career. If we put up a list of greats and the guys they lost to when they got old, it would not be an impressive list of fighters. Ali lost to Berbick. Frazier lost or got a draw to a guy named Jumbo Cummings. Atlas just does not like Mike. Anyone can say, no great fighter would lose to a guy named Jumbo Cummings.
yup, you have lots of great fighters who lost to average fighters at then end of their careers. as matter of fact it happens more times then not because most of them stay keep fighting too long. that dosent mean you hold it against them.
Silver is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #63
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Tyson cleared out 9 champs or exchamps during that run. Sorry, even given the proliferation of belts, that is way better than chopping down Milderberger, a shot (pun intended) Williams, lil' Limey's Cooper and London, and a washed up 36 year old Folley.
Fat boy Tubbs, Bonecrusher Smith, Tucker, Berbick, Bruno, Thomas et al. are NOT way better than Terrell, Patterson, Chuvalo, Mildenberger, Cooper, Folley, and winning the title against Sonny Liston ....... and you know it.

I'm surprised in your attempts to legitimize all those guys Tyson beat as "champs". The proliferation of titles and the quality of some of those temporary caretaker "1/3 champs" are key to understanding their mediocrity.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #64
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
tyson had 4 fights? atlas dosent know math, that dumbass needs to learn how to count. then he even mentioned the mcbride and williams fights. but then again, if a guy tried to force himself on your family member, you'd hate him for life too.
Yeah, but Atlas ruins all the good points he makes by saying stupid stuff like that. He discredits himself. A lot of what he says is spot on though.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #65
choklab
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Mike Tyson was great in that he had great talent. He did great things with that talent at elite level when he cleaned out a division so he edges into my top ten. Mike was better than all the heavyweight champions who did not knock out linear champions.

At his peak, like Joe Louis, Tyson was knocking out fighters who had not been knocked out before. It was not like sonny liston knocking out Patterson after Johansson did it, or even marciano knocking out walcott after charles did it. Thomas, Spinks and Holmes had not been knocked out before, that counts for something.

whatever anyone says about Holmes, Thomas and Spinks they were regarded as the best of that mid 80's era that Tyson came into.

atlas is not incorrect about his comments, he is just using the negatives. If you add positives to the negatives Tyson is an ATG fighter BASED ON HIS PRIME
choklab is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #66
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Tyson's top 10 for sure.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #67
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Teddy Atlas is a bitter asshole.
Tyson is not overated.

There tends to be 2 types of dominating champs, you have the Alis and Holyfields, Lewis' who win a few and lose a few but have the better resumes and then you have the Tysons, Marcianos, Fraziers who may not have a resume as good, but their domination over lesser opponents qualifies them as ATGs.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #68
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan View Post
I can see Tyson out of the top 10, but I would have a hard time him being out of anyone's top 15. Somewhere between 9-12 seems about right to me, but I wouldn't argue much if someone had him higher than that. It might also depend on whether or not you focus on his whole career warts and all, or focus more on his achievements in his prime.
Agreed. I tend to rank Tyson between 11 and 15, because I rank on the basis of achievements + head to head for borderline cases. I think his reign of terror from 1986-1989 is somewhat underrated now, whereas I think he gets little overrated head to head. He was beatable in his prime, but he also had some very good wins in his prime that people dismiss to quickly.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #69
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Its hard to judge Tyson because at his peak, he was unbeatable, i mean he hardly lost a round, was hardly hit by any decent punches and was hardly ever in any trouble.

He gets rid of the people who made him and then the losses start piling up. He also went to prison for 3 years so he was even more rustier and then he fought the 2 other best fighters of his generation AFTER these circumstances. You cant ignore these facts.
Azzer85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum