Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
"Marvelous"

vCash: 500
Default Re: If The 1910 Johnson had met prime Mcvey, Jeannette , Langford?

Johnson wins a competitive UD against Jeanette who actually had a great jab would keep things interesting and he was well conditioned and exceptionally tough, so it could get interesting in the final few rounds.

Johnson comfortable UD against Mcvey.

Langford is a difficult match up to predict if pressed I would choose Langford by TKO(corner retirement) with Johnson winning a rematch by decision.
"Marvelous" is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #32
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Hulking 210 pounds? This would make modern athletes laugh.
He didnt make athletes, who were his contemporaries laugh it was usually Johnson that did the laughing.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]How about this hulk?[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Marvelous" View Post
Johnson wins a competitive UD against Jeanette who actually had a great jab would keep things interesting and he was well conditioned and exceptionally tough, so it could get interesting in the final few rounds.
Is that the jab where he leaps in against smaller foes with his chin straight up in the air?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvdt3xm3ql0[/ame]
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #34
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Jeannette is not outboxing the taller and longer armed Johnson. McVey too crude.

Langford? Jack always had Sam's number. Langford turned 27 in March 1910, and may well have been peaking when he knocked out Fireman Flynn for the movie cameras on St. Patrick's Day in the only scheduled 45 rounder of his career. Johnson-Langford instead of Johnson-Jeffries in Reno on July 4th could indeed have been that prime for prime face-off being sought here, but Sam would have still likely scaled under 170 pounds, and Jack was not a good opponent to give away size to. Between 1905 and 1926, Lil' Artha' was not beaten by any smaller opponent.

Johnson would be playing for a distance verdict, and Sam would be hard pressed to override him. From long range, Langford would have to deal with that jab, in close, those raking uppercuts. He himself said white men were his meat, black men his voodoo. Jack was the voodoo high priest himself. He was laughing when Jeffries hit him flush. If Jeff couldn't concern him, then I don't think Sam had the necessary fire to do it to that version of Johnson.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #35
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyListonsJab View Post
Mendoza, your dreaming if you think the 5'6 sam langford is a 70-30 favorite over the 6'1 210lb jack johnson of 1910...Did you not see what Johnson did to langford 4 years earlier when johnson was only 185lb? Johnson is too big, powerful, and talented for Langford. Always was a horrible stylistic match for langford.
I agree that Johnson would always present a tough match for Langford, but Jack certainly avoided him when he became champion. Johnson did draw the colour line but not without pressure from the blatantly racist society of the time.

I think Johnson still beats them all, but the fights definitely become much more difficult as the others improve.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #36
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15 View Post
I agree that Johnson would always present a tough match for Langford, but Jack certainly avoided him when he became champion. Johnson did draw the colour line but not without pressure from the blatantly racist society of the time.

I think Johnson still beats them all, but the fights definitely become much more difficult as the others improve.

Of course we must not forget that Johnson himself improved after his fights with the black trio,and ,that we are matching them, when all of them are at their best.
Thanks for your input.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Of course we must not forget that Johnson himself improved after his fights with the black trio,and ,that we are matching them, when all of them are at their best.
Thanks for your input.
Most welcome, and aren't ya proud I didn't Frazierize my response!
round15 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #38
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15 View Post
Most welcome, and aren't ya proud I didn't Frazierize my response!
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum