Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Benitez vs McCallum @ '54

Very difficult one to call.

McCallum always struggled with fast boxer types (Curry, Kalambay, Graham). But let's look more closely at the Curry and Kalambay fights...

He WON against Curry (obviously), because he went for the body early before later feinting downstairs to come up. He couldn't match Curry for sharpness and speed, so out-thought him.

Kalambay was a very different mover to Benitez because he used more of the ring, whereas Benitez used tight little turns. McCallum also has more of a reach advantage over Benitez than he had with Kalambay. This is why I believe McCallum could establish his jab on Benitez, and punch as he moves - downstairs!

Benitez had the advantage in speed and reflexes - as gifted a puncher as McCallum was, Benitez could avoid punches at the last split-second and counter. This is why I believe McCallum would have to stay outside and force Benitez to move into mid-range - which is where Benitez would want it anyway, regarding what I just said above and the fact McCallum, despite being very well schooled defensively, was always hittable.

Breaking it down then. If McCallum can establish his jab, it's probably his fight. But if Benitez can stay at mid-range and occupy McCallum with his speed, then it is his fight.

I would lean towards McCallum and his underrated left jab - he could double and treble it so effortlessly.

Bodysnatcher UD, or late-ish stoppage.

What do you think?

Last edited by atberry; 05-05-2011 at 02:34 AM.
atberry is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
blacktopbully
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Benitez vs McCallum @ '54

i think mike takes him with as you said his brains he could out think benitez
and benitez did his best work south of 154 so it'd be be to judge him in with one of the better 154 pounders
blacktopbully is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benitez tended to retreat to the ropes at the higher weights. Maybe not too wise with a body snatcher.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
blacktopbully
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

yeah those are the spots where the body shots seem to really get you because you have no where to go and you can only block so many before the one catches you

you are dead on about mike having issues with boxer/movers though i think it would look alot like the curry fight only it would last a little longer
blacktopbully is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post

McCallum always struggled with fast boxer types (Curry, Kalambay, Graham). But let's look more closely at the Curry and Kalambay fights...

He WON against Curry (obviously), because he went for the body early before later feinting downstairs to come up. He couldn't match Curry for sharpness and speed, so out-thought him.

Kalambay was a very different mover to Benitez because he used more of the ring, whereas Benitez used tight little turns. McCallum also has more of a reach advantage over Benitez than he had with Kalambay. This is why I believe McCallum could establish his jab on Benitez, and punch as he moves - downstairs!

Benitez had the advantage in speed and reflexes - as gifted a puncher as McCallum was, Benitez could avoid punches at the last split-second and counter. This is why I believe McCallum would have to stay outside and force Benitez to move into mid-range - which is where Benitez would want it anyway, regarding what I just said above and the fact McCallum, despite being very well schooled defensively, was always hittable.

Breaking it down then. If McCallum can establish his jab, it's probably his fight. But if Benitez had can stay at mid-range and occupy McCallum with his speed, then it is his fight.

I would lean towards McCallum and his underrated left jab - he could double and treble it so effortlessly.

What do you think?
Good analysis. I agree.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benitez is too high above his natural weight. The bigger, stronger McCallum batters him for a UD.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

This was one of Benitez best weights believe it or not. Beat Duran easily and went 15 with Hearns. Moving up to 160 was too much for Wilfred, and also fighting Hamsho was a bad style. I think Wilfred outboxes Mike and wins a unanimous decision.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post

Breaking it down then. If McCallum can establish his jab, it's probably his fight. But if Benitez can stay at mid-range and occupy McCallum with his speed, then it is his fight.

What do you think?
I think you've already got it...McCallum clear decision.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

mcCallum by ud or late tko for all the reasons given by the thread starter
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Good analysis by everyone involved. I agree that Benitez is a differant type of mover than Kalambay and Graham and his tendancy to fall by to the ropes would be trouble.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I love McCallum to death but Benitez was so skilled and naturally gifted I would favour him to win on close points decision. Even Sugar Ray said Benitez had more skill than him. Mind you Curry had more skill than the BodySnatcher.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olu G. Rotimi View Post
I love McCallum to death but Benitez was so skilled and naturally gifted I would favour him to win on close points decision. Even Sugar Ray said Benitez had more skill than him. Mind you Curry had more skill than the BodySnatcher.
And it ended how?

Thing is, yes, Benitez is faster than McCallum and almost as technically skilled, but he's smaller and that will help McCallum establishing his jab. The initial analysis was corrrect: if Benitez concentrates on keeping away from that jab he'll look pretty good losing a UD - not too dissimilar to how it went down against Hearns. If he tries to get inside the jab on the other hand, he will get hit - with the same end result but more action packed.

The crucial divide here is that Benitez will have to react to McCallum, and that will make the difference.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

McCallum pts, close but unanimous.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #14
atberry
Belt holder