Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default My fights

I don't know how many people who actually watch the fights in the ESB member fight video's thread, but I thought it would be nice to get a little more feedback. I can be pretty slow uploading the fights, but I'll try to get my ass together. Anyway, here's a fight I had on May 7th. It was a team match against Poland. Criticism is very welcome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJF_rrAcu0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WGWt7dXuPU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nY6QCTPpwA[/ame]

And here's some older fights:

VS Swedish Olympian in December 2010:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

VS the Welsh champion in June 2009:

VS a Slovakian national team fighter in January 2010:

I'm in the red corner in all the fights.

Updated 23rd June:

Rematch against the Swedish Olympian and WSB boxer:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIS7YO6r2g[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pvt2NsMziI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4t6FrMmRHE[/ame]

Updated 24th June
:

Against 2-0 professional fighter:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__cgYvUDGk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmDWoiEUbEk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knO15j6tbXc[/ame]

Last edited by znaak; 06-24-2011 at 07:56 AM.
znaak is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
himynameisbrett

vCash: 500
Default Re: My fights

What corner are you?
himynameisbrett is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Seems he has to be red corner.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Haha, yeah. I'm in the red. Sorry 'bout that.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good work rate with the punches. Looked like you were pretty balanced in there with your footwork. You seem to keep a pretty good guard when not engaged in punching.

Now, not much to the body, and you had several opportunities to do so. I also notice you are in love with the overhand right lead. Lucky for you the guy didn't know how to slip it and counter with a clean left hook because you seem to throw it a bit wide and leave it out there for a bit too long when it misses. You were definitely open for the left hook over the right lead.

Overall, not bad. How many fights have you had to this point?
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks! That's what I need to hear. I'm currently working more on going to the body. Same with fighting on the inside. I know how to fight on the outside - just need to be comfortable with different styles. That's true about my right hand. I caught him clean when I shortened it up and threw it more straight. I put too much effort in throwing it, then it became wide. I usually don't throw it that way, but it's something I got a bit bothered about after this fight. So I need to throw more to the body and shorten up my right hand. That's great advice. Thanks again.

That was my fight number 87.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by znaak View Post
Thanks! That's what I need to hear. I'm currently working more on going to the body. Same with fighting on the inside. I know how to fight on the outside - just need to be comfortable with different styles. That's true about my right hand. I caught him clean when I shortened it up and threw it more straight. I put too much effort in throwing it, then it became wide. I usually don't throw it that way, but it's something I got a bit bothered about after this fight. So I need to throw more to the body and shorten up my right hand. That's great advice. Thanks again.

That was my fight number 87.

That's quite a few amateur matches. Are you considering a shot at pro boxing? Amateur boxing must be big in your country. In my area of the US (New Orleans), there aren't that many boxing gyms left. Many of them were closed down after Hurricane Katrina and the ensuing flood that had water hanging around for a few weeks before finally being pumped out. Most of them never returned.

Boxing was big down here at one time with several pro fighters coming out of local gyms fighting at any of 3 venues around the city. There were also lots of amateur fights with the cards usually held in the spring and fall months. Many of the gyms at that time didn't have A/C so folks wouldn't come out in the summer.

Taping your fights is a great idea and it gives you immediate feedback on what you did right and what you did wrong. It's a lot easier to understand what went wrong when you see it in living color right in front of you.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Before turning pro I want to make the Olympics. And no, amateur boxing is really small in Norway. Hehe. And professional boxing is even illegal. I've gotten most of my fights in international contests. Have been getting many fights since I debuted on the national team five years ago. I live in a tiny city down south where I need to travel 7 hours to get sparring.

A real shame to hear about that situation... I guess it will take many years to get it back and rebuild everything to the same level as before.

Are you an amateur boxer yourself, or are you a coach?
znaak is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by znaak View Post
Before turning pro I want to make the Olympics. And no, amateur boxing is really small in Norway. Hehe. And professional boxing is even illegal. I've gotten most of my fights in international contests. Have been getting many fights since I debuted on the national team five years ago. I live in a tiny city down south where I need to travel 7 hours to get sparring.

A real shame to hear about that situation... I guess it will take many years to get it back and rebuild everything to the same level as before.

Are you an amateur boxer yourself, or are you a coach?

No, not a boxer or coach, just a long time fan of boxing. I'm 58 yrs. old and have been following boxing since I was a small kid. My dad and I would watch live bouts on TV starting in the late 50's on TV. Friday Night Fights from Madison Square Garden sponsored by Gillette, the razor company. One of my favorite uncles was a Fleet Champion when in the Navy during WWII and after my dad died, he encouraged me to try boxing.

I did box some when I was a teen, had a couple fights that I won, but I had a persistent injury due to a congenital defect in my left shoulder. On several occasions it would allow it to separate quite easily if I missed left hooks or got countered in the chest while the left was still extended. Very painful injury and cuts deeply into training when it happens.

Hats off to you for accomplishing what you have under those circumstances. I can't imagine having to travel 7 hours just to spar, then to fight on an international level to boot. Good for you.

Right now, there are only a couple gyms in the New Orleans area that I know of. Pro boxing here is pretty much dormant, but at one time there were several good pros that fought out of my city. One of the better ones was a guy named Tony Licata. He fought Carlos Monzon for the Middleweight Title many years ago and got beat for his effort, but he got there. Tony died a few years ago but I sparred with him at St. Mary's Gym in the French Quarter back in the late 60's right before he turned pro.

Sorry for the length of this post. I get to talking about boxing and sometimes get long winded.

Good luck to you in the future.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
MrSmall
Journeyman

Znaak so you train alone except for when you travel to spar or compete?
How often is that?
What is your current training routine like buddy?\
Would love to hear.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No worries about the length, gumbo. Inspiring story. Sorry to hear about the injury. I know how it is.

Yep, Mr.Small. I always train alone. Usually I get 3-5 hours of training a day, consisting of boxing exercises and heavy bag, running, cycling, weights, swimming, aerobics, gymnastics, soccer. I've been going to the local club since it opnened in 2002, but it got closed down a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm really going to put an extra effort into boxing by moving to Oslo. Everything is arranged so that I can concentrate fully on training now.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
MrSmall
Journeyman

Excellent, I wish you the best of luck.
So since 2002 till a few weeks ago you were training there alone with no sparring? How often did you travel for competition or sparring?
And what do you do for money?
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks!

We've had some guys over the years I've sparred with, but the last qualified ones stopped training over five years ago. The last few years it's just been more and more traveling. In a month I can be away for up to two weeks. I had a job where I started 9:30 and worked for 5,5 hours. Then I managed to train before and after work. But when I get to Oslo I'm going to study on the side. Study loan will help a bit, but I also get a little bit from the boxing federation.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
MrSmall
Journeyman

How long you been boxing mate? How do you prepare specifically for your competitions, or just minimal to no sparring? Do you think after a certain time (years) training you don't need to spar as much?
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Nine years in September. I think you always have to spar to stay sharp and have those reflexes you need in the ring. The last couple of years I've been traveling a lot, so I've gotten my sparring elsewhere. Before I just took the fights without sparring.

What about you? How did you get introdiced to the world of boxing?
znaak is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing