Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
antonio8904
Atheist
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: bernhard hopkins on mma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montero View Post
That's hilarious and true! I don't understand why watching two roided up bar fighters from Bismarck, North Dakota (or some other small town) rolling around on the ground with spandez shorts on is entertaining. The pyrotechnics, bikini-clad plastic bimbos, cheap rock music and coked-up announcers screaming at every telegraphed movement the "athletes" make doesn't get me going either. It's the NASCAR of fight sports - it's marketed to surburban kids and middle America and they market it VERY well. But it's just not for me.

Boxing is a sport first, a spectacle second. It's an inner city based sport, so most of the fighters are from ethnic, working class hoods (blacks, Mexicans, Italians, Slavics, Filipinos, etc). That doesn't exactly relate to the average suburban kids (black of white) or "Joe six pack" that grew up watching wrestling. It's instnat gratification - 3 to 5 round fights that usually end in somebody getting bloody. Not not due to skill set, but rather to lack of skill and poor technique.

Coincidentally, anybody here ever notice how most of the MMA highlights on the news are "strikes"? Ironic huh?
Couldn't agree any more with your comment!

And about the highlights being from 'strikes', i was talking with some buddies of mine about that the other weekend at the GSP fight. They are MMA fans and asked me to check it out. They showed a highlight reel in between fights and almost everyone was from some country bumpkin from teh states throwing some wild telegraphed 'strike' that grazed a guys chin and he collapses onto the canvas and is instantly humped. I didn't get it. I didn't see any amazing skill that landed these 'strikes'. It was just a wild punch on a guy who is lunging forward with a wide guard and his arms by his side. To me, any decent boxer would easily exploit that. From what I saw, the average boxer is faster, has better movement and cowardnation. I didn't see anything entertaining, yet everytime a guy grabbed another guy (no homo) everyone went nuts. But for a sport that is based on wrestling, interesting that all of the knockouts and highlights come from strikes...

Last edited by antonio8904; 05-11-2011 at 01:09 PM.
antonio8904 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

This is silly.

It has been proven that 99 out of 100 times a true mixed martial artist will beat a boxer in a fight.

However, that said... i'm a massive boxing fan so i'm not getting into that whole what is better shit.

B-Hop is an old man who maybe likes his ass pounded though so he has to get all defensive about it... still a good boxer though.

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Everybody is different. I don't want to watch two grown men wrestling with panties on. I'm from the hood, we don't play that'' Bernard Hopkins

"You're not even in my league! I would never let a white boy beat me. I would never lose to a white boy. I couldn't go back to the projects if I let a white boy beat me.'' - Bernard Hopkins

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"I'm not criticizing people for what kind of entertainment they like. I think most of those people have chains and masks in their closets'' Bernard Hopkins

''Me feets'' Bernard Hopkins

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwzjtJu9wA4[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
It has been proven that 99 out of 100 times a true mixed martial artist will beat a boxer in a fight.
Really? And what "proof" is there? Please don't say James Toney!
Montero is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

War bunce !!
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Quote:
There are plenty of other boxers that have tried MMA and lost. If the other guy can kick, knee, punch, elbow, throw, wrestle and submit how is a guy who is only a boxer going to win?

Explain?

What is the boxer going to do in a Thai clinch? Get ****ed up that's what!

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #22
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

Quote:
There is a reason boxers do not take mma fights on the side, and the UFC champs are not boxers just doing it as a hobby because its so easy.

You think its easy to Wrestle or do Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai?

The best base skillset for mma is wrestling, thats proven because you can dictate where the fight takes place. Its plainly obvious or the mma fighters would be desperate to learn boxing as opposed how to wrestle...
196osh is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
snakey112
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

snakey112 is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Says Hopkins the biggest clinching, cheating ****ing son of a bitch of all time.

If he wants to grapple he should go and fight grapplers and get humbled, because his striking is ****ing awful to watch.

What does he think clinch fighting is? You take that away from him and he doesn't have half the career he has had.
Valane is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Muhammad Ali Boxing 56-5-0 MMA 0-0-1 in a mixed rule bout with Inoki
Ray Mercer Boxing - 36-7-1 MMA 1-0-0 (Lost to Kimbo Slice, classed as an exhibition)
James Toney Boxing 73-6-3 MMA 0-1-0
James Warring Boxing 18-4-1 MMA 2-1-0
Matt Skelton Boxing 25-6-0 MMA 0-1-0
Jeremy Williams Boxing 42-5-1 MMA 5-0-0
Eric Esch Butterbean Boxing 77-7-4 MMA 17-8-1
Melton Bowen Boxing 35-9-0 MMA 0-1-0
Yosuke Nisijima Box 24-2-1 MMA 0-5-0
Art Jimerson: 33-18-0 MMA 0-1-0
Marcus Davis 17-1-2 MMA 18-8-0
Chris Lytle 13-1-1 MMA 30-18-5

Good enough??? Only one fighter, Mercer has defeated anyone of note, Tim Sylvia, who was on a 2 fight losing streak. And the boxing win column is significantly bolstered by Lytle, Davis and lol Butterbean, who successfully transitioned from boxing journeymen to MMA journeymen

Last edited by Stoo; 05-11-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
There is a reason boxers do not take mma fights on the side, and the UFC champs are not boxers just doing it as a hobby because its so easy.

You think its easy to Wrestle or do Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai?

The best base skillset for mma is wrestling, thats proven because you can dictate where the fight takes place. Its plainly obvious or the mma fighters would be desperate to learn boxing as opposed how to wrestle...
I should have just said +1
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy009 View Post
Well that kid that wrestle would pound your head in.
7/10 time a mma fighter would beat boxer.
More well rounded.

The vast majority of MMGAY fighters are not well-rounded at all.Don't confuse having more options to actually being complete and versatile.The only advantage MMGAY fighters have over boxers is the grappling aspect.Their striking still sucks,and nothing is ever going to improve those glass jaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
There is a reason boxers do not take mma fights on the side,

Why the hell would any boxer want to take these "fights on the side"? It wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.These guys spends hours upon hours in the gym,throghout the week and all year round.Why would they participate in anything other than a boxing match?
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #28
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
The vast majority of MMGAY fighters are not well-rounded at all.Don't confuse having more options to actually being complete and versatile.The only advantage MMGAY fighters have over boxers is the grappling aspect.Their striking still sucks,and nothing is ever going to improve those glass jaws
What colour is Wlad's shirt in your av?
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #29
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree with Hopkins.

This shit may be effective in a street fight, especially if you're afraid to get hit and basically, afraid to fight, like Rashaad Evans against Rampage, and you just hold somebody against the wall like a faggot...

But the shit looks really gay. I mean, the shit is disgustingly gay. People give eachother high fives when there is a dick in a guy's face.
HENDO is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
The vast majority of MMGAY fighters are not well-rounded at all.Don't confuse having more options to actually being complete and versatile.The only advantage MMGAY fighters have over boxers is the grappling aspect.Their striking still sucks,and nothing is ever going to improve those glass jaws.
So much Irony in this post....It's Delicious !.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum