Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Babyface_Johnny
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Post Is boxing in danger?

HI guys there's something I've been thinking since Manny Pacquiao's fight against Mosley... And is that Why didnt mosley engaged Pacquiao in a fight? Was it really fixed, was Margarito's and Clottey's fight fixed too? and im talking serious im not trying to shi.t on Pacman's achievements, I KNOW he's a great fighter, a beast on the ring, a fast and exciting boxer. But i cannot help to think those things because his last opponents havent shown much in the fights. And thats what got me thinking how is possible for boxer, a professional athlete to let yourself get punished like that. I just want your honest opinion on this, im not a troll or anything, just wanted to discuss this. I really dont believe boxing is dying, but even if those fights arent fixed, it's hurting the image of boxing, when a casual just want to enjoy some brawling.
Babyface_Johnny is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Babyface_Johnny
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Is boxing in danger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post

He still has a life, and he obviously wants to enjoy it. We all know how fast, powerful and overwhelming Manny Pacquiao can be in the ring, and let's face it, Shane Mosley didn't want somebody like that trying to beat him up! So he ran. If it was fixed, I'm sure the most obvious thing would've been to just stay the hell down when Pacquiao floored him. It wouldn't have damaged his legacy, either. A shot legend being KTFO by the P4P #1 in the world isn't damaging to his legacy at all.

But making something which was supposed to be a war turn into an absolute terribly boring fight, and running for your life, not throwing a punch, is severely damaging to your legacy. The casual fan will now know Shane Mosley as "that black guy who got beaten by Floyd Mayweather Jr. And Manny Pacquiao".

As for Clottey, I'm not sure. But with Margarito there wasn't an option. He was way too proud to give in, so he took the punishment, while at the same time he wasn't on Pacquiao's level so there was no point in fighting back. Pacquiao was on fire that night, he would've laid waste to most welterweights alive today on that night.

There's your answer, hope I helped.
Thank you this part really answered my doubts, thanks man
Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Jeff Young
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 7241

It's just bad match making on the part of Bob Arum--the fights aren't fixed..
Jeff Young is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
arsabs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

defense oriented boxers would turn a lot of fans off.
arsabs is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyface_Johnny View Post
HI guys there's something I've been thinking since Manny Pacquiao's fight against Mosley... And is that Why didnt mosley engaged Pacquiao in a fight? Was it really fixed, was Margarito's and Clottey's fight fixed too? and im talking serious im not trying to shi.t on Pacman's achievements, I KNOW he's a great fighter, a beast on the ring, a fast and exciting boxer. But i cannot help to think those things because his last opponents havent shown much in the fights. And thats what got me thinking how is possible for boxer, a professional athlete to let yourself get punished like that. I just want your honest opinion on this, im not a troll or anything, just wanted to discuss this. I really dont believe boxing is dying, but even if those fights arent fixed, it's hurting the image of boxing, when a casual just want to enjoy some brawling.
fixed? do you actually believe that? If not, why open with that thought?
Only goofball conspiracy theorists believe fights are fixed....

Shane Mosley suffered from old man's syndrome. Couldnt pull the trigger when in danger or in self-preservation.
There are few "true warriors" who can forcibly pull the trigger (choose fight over flight), even past their prime. He's not one of them. He showed that with his Mayweather fight...
Skilletscuz is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

the fights aren't fixed but that shitty Mosley vs Pac fight did more damage to the casual fan base of boxing than all of Mayweathers fights combined.
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Ufcsucks
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Young View Post
It's just bad match making on the part of Bob Arum--the fights aren't fixed..
You have the worst known boxer in the world on your sig, how does that make you feel ?
Ufcsucks is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Babyface_Johnny
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletscuz View Post
fixed? do you actually believe that? If not, why open with that thought?
Only goofball conspiracy theorists believe fights are fixed....

Shane Mosley suffered from old man's syndrome. Couldnt pull the trigger when in danger or in self-preservation.
There are few "true warriors" who can forcibly pull the trigger (choose fight over flight), even past their prime. He's not one of them. He showed that with his Mayweather fight...
i said it because i wanted to get the attention of you guys so you would share your honest opinions, but thanks man

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum