Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: How would do you grade Dempseys championship reign?
A+ 2 3.39%
A 1 1.69%
A- 2 3.39%
B+ 5 8.47%
B 18 30.51%
B- 5 8.47%
C+ 7 11.86%
C 7 11.86%
C- 7 11.86%
D 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #46
quarry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
A+? Lmao!!
the difference between myself and you is that i understand boxing history having followed the sport for more than 40yrs... i voted A+ and you voted C

name me any other Heavyweight champion in history who had World title fights that was as exciting or as legendary in terms of historical fights as Jack Dempsey.

Dempsey v Firpo - most knock downs and wildest most brutal fight in heavyweight history

Dempsey v Willard - most brutal demolition of any heavyweight champion in history with Willard suffering broken jaw, cheeck-bone, eye-socket, ribs and loss of teeth.

Dempsey v Tunney - Battle of the Long Count

Add to this the million dollar gates and Jack Dempsey was rightly in a League of his own as the greatest fighting machine who ever lived....... JAB scored him a C
 Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #47
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
A couple of observations : Greb was so damn active during those days, that there wasn't a ground swell demand for the 160 pound dynamo to fight Jack Dempsey. I seldom ,as a boy read about Dempsey refusing to fight Greb,it
became a source of conversation many years later IMO. Why in the world would Jack Kearns,want this bout ? If Dempsey KO'd Greb, [and Greb in statements admitted that,"after 5 or more rounds Jack would kill me "] ,
the boxing world would cry out, "Dempsey's expected to ko middleweights,
for crying out loud ". It was a no win situation for Dempsey and Kearns..
Of course Dempsey never fought Harry Wills, though they signed for a bout for promoter Floyd Fitzpatrick, which was canceled because Fitzpatrick
couldn't come up with the money,and Harry Wills pocketed the deposit money. So Dempsey always get the rap for this cancellation, even though
the prime Dempsey would have been a prohibitive favorite to win, when Jack Sharkey beat Wills and Paolino Uzcudun kod Wills, soon after, most likely proved...
What is amazing is that the 160 pound, "seven year itch ", Greb was even considered in this post,as being the best oponent for the Heavyweight Dempsey,at that time !
Like wanting to match-up a Marvin Hagler or Carlos Monzon ,with a prime Joe Louis. So highly is Harry Greb rated...Amazing man was Greb to EVEN fight 300 bouts...His record and unique style can never be duplicated...
Great post, burt.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #48
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post
the difference between myself and you is that i understand boxing history having followed the sport for more than 40yrs... i voted A+ and you voted C

name me any other Heavyweight champion in history who had World title fights that was as exciting or as legendary in terms of historical fights as Jack Dempsey.

Dempsey v Firpo - most knock downs and wildest most brutal fight in heavyweight history

Dempsey v Willard - most brutal demolition of any heavyweight champion in history with Willard suffering broken jaw, cheeck-bone, eye-socket, ribs and loss of teeth.

Dempsey v Tunney - Battle of the Long Count

Add to this the million dollar gates and Jack Dempsey was rightly in a League of his own as the greatest fighting machine who ever lived....... JAB scored him a C

The difference is that you're close minded with inflexible opinions who can't justify an A+ rating for Dempseys reign. Most exciting doesn't justify weak comp.

Most knock downs and the (arguably) worst heavyweight champion doesn't justify weak comp.

Long counts and gate receipts don't justify weak comp. Well, maybe gate receipts do, but it doesn't change the fact.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #49
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempsey title reign Let's look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I don't agree with a great deal of this; nor do I care to argue it, reallly.

My point was that Greb's being "to small" to fight Dempsey because it's a "no win" situation is pretty much negated by the fact that he matched Carpantier, who weighed in at 168 for his loss to Jeanette, and 170 for his DQ win over Smith.

If Greb is to small, Carpantier is to small.

If Carpantier is big enough to fight, so is Greb.

Can't have it both ways.
Exactly!!
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #50
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
quarry a fundamentalist, man. There is no getting through to dudes like that.


I think it's amongst the worst of the guys who held the title for a serious period. Maybe better than Johnson's. Maybe better than Sullivan's. Other than that, I would say it's not better than any decent title run.
What about Pattersonīs? Wladīs?
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #51
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,084
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post
JAB & McGrain... you have no evidence to back-up anything you are claiming here only your own assumptions.
I presented a huge post containing evidence on the prior page. You've engaged with exactly zero of it.

Quote:
1/. if a poll was held in Manchester in 2008 asking who should be next to fight David Haye - Wlad or Hatton the poll would read 4-1 Hatton.
You can dismiss the poll if you like. Several have. All are Dempsey fundamentalists. The rest of the posters seem to understand that the poll carries at least some weight. I don't care either way.

What you can't dismiss is the mass of coverage that the proposed fight received. There are plenty of articles from other towns covering the possibility of the fight with some excitement. If nobody wanted to see the fight a hell of a lot of pressmen wasted a hell of a lot of ink on a hell of a lot of coverage of the proposed fight and the tortured attempts to make it over and over again for absolutely no reason.

Quote:
2/. What you repeatedly leave out of your argument is that when Greb sparred with Dempsey they wore 16oz gloves not 4oz used in prizefights.
I think the fact that Dempsey never put a glove on Greb, was cut, humiliated and outsped to the point where he was withdrawn from the sparring is much more important, but I could see why a man in your position would want to concentrate on this small detail more than any other.

Quote:
3/. you ignore the fact that Gene Tunney beat Greb and had to wait years for his title fight with Dempsey.
How is it relevant when Greb was chasing Dempsey for five years before Tunney beat him and for six years before he beat him definitively, and five before he was able to beat him without the result being labelled at least by some as a "robbery"?


Quote:
5/. you ignore the claim of Harry Greb that in his own words he thought Dempsey would beat him.
Do you have a source for this quote?

No.

The reason?

One has never been provided.

This is something that Burt, a huge Dempsey fan, claims to have read many years ago. I don't call Burt a liar. I like the guy. But I think he could be mistaken.

Either way, it doesn't really matter unless you think it means that Louis would always lose to Marciano, Jeffries would always lose to Johnson etc etc because all of these men and more have had similar quotes attributed to them.

Quote:
everything you both have claimed on this topic is only your own assumptions
On the contrary, you have been presented with a volume of facts about the Dempsey duck of Greb and completely failed to deal with any of them.

Quote:
with those assumptions never being voiced by any boxing historian
Some of us like to do our own work around here.

And this isn't even true. Klompton and Paxton will both disagree with you vehemently (And each other )

Just because you've never read what they say doesn't mean it wasn't said.

Quote:
and you ignore any links which show historians rate Dempsey as the greatest fighter who ever lived
I have no idea what this had to do with his having ducked Greb?

And i'm ignoring them because i've read them all before.

Quote:
yet you post links by those same historians to back-up your arguments on other topics
Can you show me an example?
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #52
quarry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
You ignore the fact that that series could very well be 2-2-1 if you wanted to read all the newspaper accounts of the day. You're stuck on boxrec, buy a clue.
ffs... you are a howler mate. Tunney beat Greb 3-1-1 with Greb using fouls to try to get the victory and still losing. ... for your information i am not using boxrec i use my own knowledge of what i read unlike yourself who uses boxrec backed-up with repeated lying.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #53
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,084
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post
ffs... you are a howler mate. Tunney beat Greb 3-1-1 with Greb using fouls to try to get the victory and still losing. ... for your information i am not using boxrec i use my own knowledge of what i read unlike yourself who uses boxrec backed-up with repeated lying.
Well your own knowledge is horrifically out of kilter with the reality.

Greb wasn't "using fouls" and Tunney said himself that his fouls tended to be retaliatory. It's also the case that the first Tunney victory, widely (but not entirely) regarded as a robbery caused Greb to fight especially clean in subsequent fights for fear of being persecuted.

It is also the case that, in addition to Gene Tunney himself, the New York commission defended Greb's conduct.

Frankly, you seem to be all over the place.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #54
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post
ffs... you are a howler mate. Tunney beat Greb 3-1-1 with Greb using fouls to try to get the victory and still losing. ... for your information i am not using boxrec i use my own knowledge of what i read unlike yourself who uses boxrec backed-up with repeated lying.
I bet you do so
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #55
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I bet you do so
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #56
quarry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
The difference is that you're close minded with inflexible opinions who can't justify an A+ rating for Dempseys reign. Most exciting doesn't justify weak comp.

Most knock downs and the (arguably) worst heavyweight champion doesn't justify weak comp.

Long counts and gate receipts don't justify weak comp. Well, maybe gate receipts do, but it doesn't change the fact.
So what you are saying here is that Gene Tunney was "weak comp"?

Luois Angel Firpo was undeserving & weak comp?

Willard should not have been champion by dethroning Johnson?

you obviously know nothing whatsoever about Jess Willard, Gene Tunney or Louis Firpo

again you avoided the 5 points i listed, choosing to just ignore them

To claim Carpentier as "weak comp" is laughable. Carpentier was thought by many at ringside to be the victor over Jeanette... did Greb ever fight Jeanette, Willard, Tate, Godfrey, Langford, Carpentier, Firpo, Wills?

Carpentier fought at 175+ Greb fought 159-168
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #57
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 75
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

i voted D, because there was no option to vote F.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #58
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempsey title reign Let's look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post

If Greb is to small, Carpantier is to small.

If Carpantier is big enough to fight, so is Greb.

Can't have it both ways.
I agree.
Carpentier was too small - it's said that Tex Rickard and Carpentier's camp kept him at a safe distance from any press men who were likely to note in print how small the Frenchman was, in case it hurt the gate.

But Carpentier was the biggest potential box-office attraction, especially with the war hero/draft dodger angle that Tex envisaged and promoted.

Harry Greb being "too small" or "not too small" was obviously a talking point at the time.
Dempsey called him "too small" after the 1922 Greb-Gibbons go, but he might have been using it as a euphemism for "too good" ! On the other hand, Dempsey's win over Carpentier was downgraded after the event by several press men ands fans who decided it was a mismatch because Carpentier was "just a middleweight".
It's probably a bit of both.
Interestingly, Harry Wills refused to fight Gene Tunney in 1926 with the excuse, "he's too small for me", although he'd been fighting men of Tunney's size and smaller for years.
I guess it was a stock excuse for heavyweights back then. You end up getting more credit for beating big guys anyway, I guess.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #59
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

I voted B+. Iīm used to German grades though which means from 1 to 6 with no plus or minus and stuff. One beeing best, six beeing first. This means Dempsey would be a four which is equivalent to sufficiently. The worst I would give any hw champ with more than 2 title defences. I rank him there alongside Johnson, Patterson and Wlad.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #60
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good was Dempseys totle reign?Lets look at who he fought. Willard-In many pe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post
So what you are saying here is that Gene Tunney was "weak comp"?
Im saying Greb beat him and Gempsey lost to him.
Quote:
Luois Angel Firpo was undeserving & weak comp?
I believe unskilled and limited is how I described him.

Quote:
Willard should not have been champion by dethroning Johnson?
Of course he should have been. He beat the old man who had the strap. Does that make him a good champion?
Quote:
you obviously know nothing whatsoever about Jess Willard, Gene Tunney or Louis Firpo
Blah, blah, blah, always the same old song and dance!
Quote:
again you avoided the 5 points i listed, choosing to just ignore them
I see no reason to repeat what McGrain already tore you up on.
Quote:
To claim Carpentier as "weak comp" is laughable. Carpentier was thought by many at ringside to be the victor over Jeanette... did Greb ever fight Jeanette, Willard, Tate, Godfrey, Langford, Carpentier, Firpo, Wills?

Carpentier fought at 175+ Greb fought 159-168
Carpentier also ducked Greb. Would you care to argue that?
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013