Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Pick a quality you think is underrated or overlooked in an ATG or personal favori

I think a facet overlooked is beating ATG fighters. I think it is a must that a great fighter beat other greats. It is akin to an NBA player having many championships. It just proves they can perform against the best. Although I do think rings in the NBA are overrated, it does help.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pick a quality you think is underrated or overlooked in an ATG or personal favori

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooners!! View Post
Roy Jones was a very smart fighter, you dont get by as long as he did by fighting with your hands down, throwing power punches without having created your openings with the jab, unless you have an intuitive sense for what your doing in that ring.

Something that gets overlooked with Roy, is his footwork, its easy to talk about his handspeed, but that's irrelevant if you cant get your feet into the right positions to let your hands go, and because Roy didn't set his punches up, its even more impressive that he was able to get his feet into those positions, to land, and not get hit back.

Roy had the best footwork since SRL imo.
You were doing good until that last sentence.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #18
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Lots of times a fighter can get overly criticized for a certain dynamic of the game, or wrongly interpreted as relying on other aspects to make up for it. List some you think don't get enough mention.

For me:

Roy Jones Jr. : technical ability and Ring IQ. He was more than athleticism and new how to set traps and control the distance while punching with great torque and form.

Juan Manuel Marquez: Defense. His early days he was quite elusive, and even now he is constantly ad******g his game for younger pressure fighters and shows good head movement and defensive body positioning.

Mosley: Boxing IQ. Sure, he wasn't a master boxer, but he was not a dumb fighter and new how to lure boxers into dropping their guard or falling into place for a counter-punch. It often looks like he's outspeeding a lot of fighters but he puts them into position with proper footwork and smarts.

Nicolino Locche: Toughness. While he was a defensive master, Locche took a fair share of punishment against the likes of Cervantes for example. When kept at the end of those long hard punches, Locche showed he was not defensive out of fear or weakness of constitution.

Duran: Patience. It's hard to ever underrate Duran since all aspects of his game have been gratuitously praised, but as a personal characteristic in the ring, Duran showed the patience to wait for the right opening for an engagement of aggression or counter (usually the right hand.) His timing in circumstances where he couldn't control the space in close (Hagler comes to mind) showcase the calm of a veteran fighter and natural thinker. As he said "If you don't use your head in the ring you're a piece of shit." Even against Hagler, his cool under fire and technical prowess showed even a past-prime Duran is better than most fighters who ever lived.
Good post.

I think Ali gets even more underrated than Roy in terms of technical quality, though. Those that try to put him in the same category as Hamed should be banned for at least two months! A week for labeling him with Roy even.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I think a facet overlooked is beating ATG fighters. I think it is a must that a great fighter beat other greats. It is akin to an NBA player having many championships. It just proves they can perform against the best. Although I do think rings in the NBA are overrated, it does help.
Here Leonard is da shit. Beating fighters of the quality and differing styles of Hearns, Hagler, Benitez and Kalule... That's not bad at all.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Here Leonard is da shit. Beating fighters of the quality and differing styles of Hearns, Hagler, Benitez and Kalule... That's not bad at all.
I donīt think Kalule is an atg. You forgot Duran though. But even then Robinson, B. Leonard, Gans have covered that territory as well.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I donīt think Kalule is an atg. You forgot Duran though. But even then Robinson, B. Leonard, Gans have covered that territory as well.
No Kalule isn't an ATG, but a very good fighter. As for Duran, I think that was more about Duran losing than Leonard winning. I hate saying so, but the only thing that fight really proved was that Duran was capabable of the worst quitting imaginable.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #22
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
No Kalule isn't an ATG, but a very good fighter. As for Duran, I think that was more about Duran losing than Leonard winning. I hate saying so, but the only thing that fight really proved was that Duran was capabable of the worst quitting imaginable.
Yeah, Kalule was a good fighter. A bit overrated on here though.

You have a point. Nevertheless this is a win for Ray and should be counted as such. And that says me, a guy wearing Duran T-shirts and stuff
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #23
henrycooper-RIP

vCash:

Quote:
Yeah, Kalule was a good fighter. A bit overrated on here though.

You have a point. Nevertheless this is a win for Ray and should be counted as such. And that says me, a guy wearing Duran T-shirts and stuff
The German always has 2 get technical .
not being racist . Hitler was 1 gr8 technician . gr8 representation of
1 country

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSTSICa7y8[/ame]
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycooper-RIP View Post
The German always has 2 get technical .
not being racist . Hitler was 1 gr8 technician . gr8 representation of
1 country

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Not enough guts to post this with your real account? Chicken.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #25
henrycooper-RIP

vCash:

Quote:
Not enough guts to post this with your real account? Chicken.
it is a gr8 song

i thought u wud like the video
Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
it is a gr8 song

i thought u wud like the video
Chicken.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Judgement and control of distance.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
henrycooper-RIP

vCash:

Quote:
Chicken.

madbroismad guess u germans love those ,
chickens .
must like to torture them aswell ,
like the innocent Jewish People .
wud have liked to see Benny Leonard kick ur ass .
Old 05-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #29
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:

madbroismad guess u germans love those ,
chickens .
must like to torture them aswell ,
like the innocent Jewish People .
wud have liked to see Benny Leonard kick ur ass .
Chicken.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #30
henrycooper-RIP

vCash:

Quote:
chicken.
u must like theose chikcens
NAZI

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum