Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #46
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85
Default Re: Pick a quality you think is underrated or overlooked in an ATG or personal favori

Underlooked qualities:

Hearns- defense & left hook to the body

Hopkins- aggressiveness in his prime

Pacquiao- defense to an extent but these past few years yes he upgraded his right hand but I hear no one talk about how well he throws a right hook to the body.

SRL- Not sure if it has been said but he unfairly gets seen as a "flashy pretty boy" but throughout his career he was a killer.

Norris- ability against punchers and chin. Mugabi and Castro could hit but Norris dominated them. With his chin, in 50+ fights he only got ko'd 4 times and only two were in his prime or near prime(one with Julian Jackson).

SRR- technical skills. Yes he was a stone cold killer and arguably the greatest combination puncher of all time but he feinted and set up his punches very well.

RJJ- opposition and chin. He fought just about who he could, not his fault Dariusz lost to Gonzalez(who Roy beat BTW) and Benn and Eubank were past prime. ALL of his ko losses came past his prime with only the Tarver ko loss coming near it. THe rest are when he was faded as ****.

Frazier(first person I'm not a fan of on this list but I respect him)- Durability. Yes we saw Foreman bounce him like a ball but both fights were past his prime and Frazier didn't show that head movement he used to around 68-71. He also lost to arguably the biggest puncher of all times in Foreman, not something to look down upon at all.

Tyson(also not a fan of him but respect him)- ability to dig deep. He didn't fold against Tillis and Ruddock and they did not fear him in the ring. He usually ran through opponents in his prime and if they spoiled he outpointed them so there's not much to test him but when they did(except later in his career against Holyfield II and when he only fought for money) he fought back and didn't look for a way out.
techks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #47
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pick a quality you think is underrated or overlooked in an ATG or personal favori

Morales - boxing ability from distance.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #48
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
Underlooked qualities:

Hearns- defense & left hook to the body

Hopkins- aggressiveness in his prime

Pacquiao- defense to an extent but these past few years yes he upgraded his right hand but I hear no one talk about how well he throws a right hook to the body.

SRL- Not sure if it has been said but he unfairly gets seen as a "flashy pretty boy" but throughout his career he was a killer.

Norris- ability against punchers and chin. Mugabi and Castro could hit but Norris dominated them. With his chin, in 50+ fights he only got ko'd 4 times and only two were in his prime or near prime(one with Julian Jackson).

SRR- technical skills. Yes he was a stone cold killer and arguably the greatest combination puncher of all time but he feinted and set up his punches very well.

RJJ- opposition and chin. He fought just about who he could, not his fault Dariusz lost to Gonzalez(who Roy beat BTW) and Benn and Eubank were past prime. ALL of his ko losses came past his prime with only the Tarver ko loss coming near it. THe rest are when he was faded as ****.

Frazier(first person I'm not a fan of on this list but I respect him)- Durability. Yes we saw Foreman bounce him like a ball but both fights were past his prime and Frazier didn't show that head movement he used to around 68-71. He also lost to arguably the biggest puncher of all times in Foreman, not something to look down upon at all.

Tyson(also not a fan of him but respect him)- ability to dig deep. He didn't fold against Tillis and Ruddock and they did not fear him in the ring. He usually ran through opponents in his prime and if they spoiled he outpointed them so there's not much to test him but when they did(except later in his career against Holyfield II and when he only fought for money) he fought back and didn't look for a way out.
I liked that mention...people underrated that aspect of prime Hopkins game....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #49
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
Mike Tyson - boxing fundamentals
Yes. The way people talk about him, before I got into the sport I thought he was just a monster slugger. Man was I impressed when I saw his punching form and defensive head movement.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #50
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 8315

Mayweather Jr.: In ring toughness, and infighting ability. Castillo made his living doing work on the ringside, and PBF held his own in the trenches with him during the first fight. He also engaged Jesus Chavez inside throughout much of their fight

Whitaker: Power. Scored some picturesque KO's, especially at lightweight (e.g. Nazario and Lomeli). Dropped Haugen and Rivera in the rematch. Just about killed Hurtado. Not a bomber by any stretch of the imagination, but he was hardly the second coming of Maxie Rosenbloom, either.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #51
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Mayweather Jr.: In ring toughness, and infighting ability. Castillo made his living doing work on the ringside, and PBF held his own in the trenches with him during the first fight. He also engaged Jesus Chavez inside throughout much of their fight

Whitaker: Power. Scored some picturesque KO's, especially at lightweight (e.g. Nazario and Lomeli). Dropped Haugen and Rivera in the rematch. Just about killed Hurtado. Not a bomber by any stretch of the imagination, but he was hardly the second coming of Maxie Rosenbloom, either.
Mayweather's gotten good credit lately for his inside game (particularly for Hatton), but I'm really surprised at how many people refer to Sweet Pea as being feather-firsted.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #52
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Morales - boxing ability from distance.
(Bumping old ass thread)

He's been able to showcase it in spades during his most recent run. Falling in while throwing the straight over the jab as a counter is just one example of textbook outside fighting he's employed over his career. His straight right to the body is one of my favorite shots.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #53
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Joe Frazier- A right arm/hand
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #54
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Liston - Not sure of the right term- conservatism? Didn't waste his punches. Picked his shots. Didn't take needless chances.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #55
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Good bump. Also from what I see from JJ yes he was a huge puncher but from what I saw the man placed his punches well and threw them correctly which no one talks about. Made that power a bit more showing as he would put the right techinique into his punches.
techks is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #56
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Joe Frazier- A right arm/hand
Exactly! People tend to underrate his right hand, but the truth is he wasn't a one-handed puncher.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #57
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Joe Louis- heart and toughness. While Louis had a good defence in the fundamental sense he could be hit and hurt and dropped. But with the exception of two fights, he always got up to win and in those fights Louis took some major punishment. Like Arturo Gatti or Danny Lopez, if you were going to beat them you were going to have to best them down-no one punch kayoes. And if you hurt then but didn't finish them God help you.
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #58
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

MAB - Timing

Ricky Hatton - Footwork

ODLH - Control of distance

RJJ - Anticipation

Carl Froch - Angles
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #59
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
Monzons fundamental boxing ability is often over looked, being passed off as part of his Ring IQ or toughness.
As I posted earlier, just check out the 2nd Briscoe bout in particular..and he was so clever after getting decked by Valdez and throughout in that rematc of theirs. Monzon didn't beat all those guys through mere toughness and awkwardness.
red cobra is online now  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #60
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Jake LaMotta`s Ring IQ.

He wasnt just aggressive. He could set traps for his opponent. Had nice countering pucnhing skils and could think under fire. Often faking being hurt to lure his opponents in to range.
ETM is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum