Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone remember their first sparring session?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
So basically you're first spparing session is a fight? Sounds like everyone here didn't go lightly there first time is that how it always is?

Pretty much I remember being tense and nervous and the fact that I wasn't acustomed to a mouth piece made it worse because I didn't know how to pace myself so juet went on instinct ..
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #32
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Pretty much, all newbies try to go hard. It's a process really to humble you
Thats actually a relief, I suck at trying to control how hard I hit people. Me and my mate used to have barenuckle fights for the craic but we said we'd limit how hard we hit each other in the face, but I just can't seem to do it. Unless I'm throwing full force it's really hard for me.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
FromWithin
Living for the city
ESB Senior Member

Black eye, nose bleeding and black under the chin.
FromWithin is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #34
EpsilonAxis
HNIC
ESB Addict

vCash: 2296

I just sparred today for the first time in like 3 years.

WAY too flinchy but started going away towards the end. Just ring rust. Also realized i am in a lot better shape than when I started.
EpsilonAxis is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #35
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Yes, I was 13...I got put in with a beginner as well. In the first minute, I got my nose bloodied with a hard jab (had crappy defense at the time), but I kind of liked the feeling and we went for 3 rounds. The coach wanted us to set up everything with the jab and work on catching the other's. I remember it being pretty even. He was quicker than I was, but I was stronger and more powerful and got in some nice body punches and stiff jabs. I remember the feeling mid-way through though....I was ****ing exhausted. That part was worse than getting hit and that's when I realized just how conditioned you have to be to box.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #36
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
So basically you're first spparing session is a fight? Sounds like everyone here didn't go lightly there first time is that how it always is?
Not me, I was Hesitant to throw(probably in fear of getting countered), But landed some powerfull counters. I'll say i did the better cleaner work although my work rate was 1/4 of his. Wasn't in great shape got tired easily but could always hide it from my opponents, half the time when i was tired they tought i was setting them up for a counter which always gave me time
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #37
suckeggs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yup... I was 9... another kid in the gym the same age as me i didn't get on with and the trainer at my gym had enough of us bickering so he got us sparring... it was 2 kids with gloves bigger than our heads throwing punches with no technique
suckeggs is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
Raybans
Pro Gamboa
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1388

The first time I sparred was with my best mate who had been doing kickboxing training solidly for a year. We decided to put on some gloves and have a boxing fight in his back yard which is pretty funny now I look back at it. I actually outboxed him pretty well using faints and was surprised how easy it was considering he'd been in training 3 times a week for a year. I do remember though one point I got caught pretty cleanly on the chin and was taken by surprise how it made me feel. I remember feeling pretty unsteady on my feet momentarily like my brain had just been shaken in my skull; whilst pretending not to be in any difficulty; it seemed a lot worse for some reason than being hit bare knuckle to the face but maybe it was due to where the punch connected. In the end after 5-10 mins we decided to stop fighting as we realised it was getting a bit too dangerous especially without using any mouth guards. My friend thought I was a natural but one thing I realised more than anything was how much my defense sucked & just being physically gym fit is nowhere near the requirement to box.
Raybans is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #39
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Started boxing when I was 7. Started sparring when I was 8-9...I actually can't remember the exact age. I was always sparring older boxers because I was youngest in the gym.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #40
Seckah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Has anybody box in a tournament,golden gloves, etc? Will post vids if you do lol
Seckah is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #41
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Is it me or is it some sort of initiation in gyms to try and kick the new guy's ass in his first sparring session?

I was about 12 or 13 aswell.. Got beat the punch for two rounds by a kid a few years older, few inches shorter, and a few pounds lighter. This would go on for the next four years. I was never knocked down or hurt in sparring, but am grateful that I was sparring with guys older, better, and more expierienced.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #42
Seckah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
Is it me or is it some sort of initiation in gyms to try and kick the new guy's ass in his first sparring session?

I was about 12 or 13 aswell.. Got beat the punch for two rounds by a kid a few years older, few inches shorter, and a few pounds lighter. This would go on for the next four years. I was never knocked down or hurt in sparring, but am grateful that I was sparring with guys older, better, and more expierienced.
Well in the gyms where I trained and my brothers did thats how it went with some of the guys who walked in thinking they were badass my older brother used to bully the new guy something serious.
Seckah is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #43
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Yep. 17 and sparring with a 30 something trainer brother of a world contender. First round thought I was RJ just smacking and running all over the ring. Second round, I got tired and guy has me in a corner and pummels me with punch after punch. Trainer said I moved around way too much and called me a grasshopper for bouncing too much. Didn't know how to pace myself, throw, block/avoid a punch, receive a punch, use the ring, use angles, read a fighter, etc. There is so, so much that goes on in training before a fight than it does in an actual fight. So many tricks and skills your like, why even do them? But if your good enough and learn the most you can in the gym, it should take you far in the pros.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #44
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seckah View Post
Has anybody box in a tournament,golden gloves, etc? Will post vids if you do lol
I boxed in the ABA's many times. Reached the Semi-finals of England 3 times. I defintely should have made the final once (I had already beaten the lad who I would have met in the final before), the other was close, and the other I was beaten. Two semi-finals of the ABA's, we won bout of the night...and the other, I won boxer of the night, even when I "lost". I knocked the lad down, he also got a point deducted...yet he still won.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #45
MrPeterson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yea i remember i was 19 or 20 and smashed the kids nose, blood got all over my shirt and he never came back to the gym again
MrPeterson is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing