Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
MrAwesome
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Need Nutrition Help!

Ok, I'm completley blank when it comes to nutrition. I've read the explained thread here, but it never helped with actually applying nutrition, it just explained some terms etc. I don't know about foot groups, when to eat, what to eat etc. I've started working out but drinking beer and eating pizza will nullify that. If anyone could just give me the absolute basics I'd really appretiate it.

If it helps any for someone to give me a sample of how I should be eating in a day, I'm about 5'11 - 6ft and 12.5 stone/175 pounds. For the benifits lets just say it's all fat. If anyone could give me a simple menu for a day with a few different choices and why those are the choices.

I know this is loads to ask, but I cant find help anywhere bar getting an actual nutritionist and dont want to throw myself into a non benifitial diet. Would REALLY REALLY REALLY appretiate this.
MrAwesome is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430
Default Re: Need Nutrition Help!

enter MrSmalls
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Here you go pal.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
MrSmall
Journeyman

Thanks Tar Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome View Post
Ok, I'm completley blank when it comes to nutrition. I've read the explained thread here, but it never helped with actually applying nutrition, it just explained some terms etc. I don't know about foot groups, when to eat, what to eat etc. I've started working out but drinking beer and eating pizza will nullify that. If anyone could just give me the absolute basics I'd really appretiate it.

If it helps any for someone to give me a sample of how I should be eating in a day, I'm about 5'11 - 6ft and 12.5 stone/175 pounds. For the benifits lets just say it's all fat. If anyone could give me a simple menu for a day with a few different choices and why those are the choices.

I know this is loads to ask, but I cant find help anywhere bar getting an actual nutritionist and dont want to throw myself into a non benifitial diet. Would REALLY REALLY REALLY appretiate this.
Pizza and beer won't nulify anything, champions were built on a diet including those things.
It all depends on your goals though. If you want to weight 220 pounds, then "what you should be eating" will be different than if you want to lose 20lbs. It would also be different than if you are feeling lethargic and tired all the time but your weight remains the same.
I sent you a PM.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
MrAwesome
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm looking to just get in shape. Just really a balance of building muscle and losing weight. I'm doing boxing related things as it stands, like heavy bag, skipping rope etc. but I know that working out if only half the battle, and a proper diet is esential, it's just that word 'proper' is very vague. Today I have eat nothing but macaroni and cheese and some chips, and wont eat much else. I know that is awful for you, but just dont know actually what is helpful for me. I know just eating vegitables isnt enough.

Ill check that other thread and the PM now. Thanks for replying.
MrAwesome is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member

eat a lot of nuts, like almonds, peanuts, cashews, etc. Nuts are high in nutrients and protein which you need for energy. What i like to eat are bags of trail mixes. its a combination of peanuts, almonds, raisins, and dried cranberries. I eat it before i train and it gives me a lot of energy
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome View Post
I'm looking to just get in shape. Just really a balance of building muscle and losing weight. I'm doing boxing related things as it stands, like heavy bag, skipping rope etc. but I know that working out if only half the battle, and a proper diet is esential, it's just that word 'proper' is very vague. Today I have eat nothing but macaroni and cheese and some chips, and wont eat much else. I know that is awful for you, but just dont know actually what is helpful for me. I know just eating vegitables isnt enough.

Ill check that other thread and the PM now. Thanks for replying.
It's not as essential as people make out BUT if you are eating like shit (you seem to be) then it definitely needs sorting.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagsWithDust View Post
eat a lot of nuts, like almonds, peanuts, cashews, etc. Nuts are high in nutrients and protein which you need for energy. What i like to eat are bags of trail mixes. its a combination of peanuts, almonds, raisins, and dried cranberries. I eat it before i train and it gives me a lot of energy
but damn them nuts taste like shit !
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
but damn them nuts taste like shit !
lol if your worried about the taste get the bags with smarties in them, so you taste more of the smarties than the nuts
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagsWithDust View Post
Nuts are good in small quantities but they're not a food that's going to give you lots of energy to train. If you feel like you get energy from your mix it's from the fruit. If someone is watching their weight they shouldn't be eating a lot of nuts, they could have a handful to feel full and help stabilize their blood sugar levels but that's it.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Nuts are good in small quantities but they're not a food that's going to give you lots of energy to train. If you feel like you get energy from your mix it's from the fruit. If someone is watching their weight they shouldn't be eating a lot of nuts, they could have a handful to feel full and help stabilize their blood sugar levels but that's it.
decent post!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Wicksy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It sounds like you're a reletively non-active and new to training so you actually don't need to worry too much. Just by being active and training at the correct volume, intensity and changing a few things in your diet you'll change your body shape and composition significantly.

12.5 stone at 6ft makes you within normal and not overweight. It's not like your diet can be that bad if you're staying at that level of weight being inactive. It's more about getting the fat % down and building muscle.

Initially I wouldn't follow any menu's I would just make a few small changes e.g. Instead of crisps have nuts, instead of fried food have grilled, instead of burger have chicken, instead of chips as a side have rice or pasta, instead of pepperoni pizza have just cheese/tomatoe, instead of sugary drinks just have water, instead of desserts have fruit, instead of chocolate have fruit, etc.

Just by doing a few small changes makes a big difference.

Once you have been training for a few months and kept it up you can look specifically at nutrition. At this point when you're reletively inactive/unfit the training you do is much more important than exact nutritional plans. Just follow loose guidelines and don't eat crap (although its okay ocassionally).

Edit, some of the post above is irrelevant as I just read you only eat mac and cheese. Just buy an "easy meals" cook book. Or instead of mac and cheese (high fat) have pasta, a mix in sauce, chicken breast or fish and a side of vegetables. You could have multiple different meals just with this mix and all are reletively balanced.
Wicksy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing