Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Scott-Robson
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunderland, England
Posts: 735
vCash: 15444
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Boxing is a sport, not self defence. You want self defence go to Krav Maga classes.
Scott-Robson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
kyzz
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
Uh how big are you?
5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Or stop asking for fights. No offense, but from your inclusion of the word 'homophobic' I assume you're a flaming homo***ual. That's cool. I have friends who are gay, but they don't run around asking for trouble by wearing it on their sleeve, because they know the area we live in. I thoroughly enjoy girls, but if I'm in a place where 95% of the population is gay and 10% of them are 'heterophobic' and possibly armed, I'm not running around wearing my "I LOVE PUTTING MY DICK IN WOMEN" shirt.
You seem to know me pretty well for having never met me

I don't wear anything on my sleeve. All of the fights I've been in were because some idiot put 2 and 2 together and felt he needed to stand up for his "manhood". But here's a better question, who cares if someone "wears" their homo***uality on their sleeve (whatever the hell that's suppose to mean), does that give you a right to harass them either verbally or physically? I don't get offended when I see a 5'8" white kid with a do-rag acting like he grew up in the slums off 8-mile.

Quote:
3 fights in 4 months and you don't even know how to fight? Maybe you should direct your energies at avoiding fights in the first place...
What?

I can fight, just not well. Simply getting into fights isn't going to make you a good fighter, the same way moving chess pieces randomly on a chessboard isn't going to make you a grandmaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
Depends on size/experience/natural skills of your opponent. All things being equal, ie a exact replica of you, 3 months of training should completely separate both of you. If they have a huge size advantage, very athletic, strong and plenty of fighting exp then you will probably have to be pretty good, and may have to rely on more than just your boxing.

IMO by 1 year with plenty of sparring to get used to punches being thrown at you, good fitness, overall strength and powerful accurate punches, most people should be capable of dropping your average joe fairly easily. Its the streets though, you never know what their gonna pull of who they are.
Awesome, this is what I was looking for. I'm going to head over to my local boxing club tomorrow and I'll post what I find out.
kyzz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
You seem to know me pretty well for having never met me

I don't wear anything on my sleeve. All of the fights I've been in were because some idiot put 2 and 2 together and felt he needed to stand up for his "manhood". But here's a better question, who cares if someone "wears" their homo***uality on their sleeve (whatever the hell that's suppose to mean), does that give you a right to harass them either verbally or physically? I don't get offended when I see a 5'8" white kid with a do-rag acting like he grew up in the slums off 8-mile.
Completely missing my point. It's fine to be obviously gay. It's also not a wise choice in some areas. Sure, you have the right to do whatever you want and nobody has a right to abuse you for it...but some people will. If you aren't able/inclined to beat them back, then why ask for it in the first place? Discretion is the better part of valor. (or however that phrase goes).


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
I can fight, just not well. Simply getting into fights isn't going to make you a good fighter, the same way moving chess pieces randomly on a chessboard isn't going to make you a grandmaster.
Everyone who isn't a quadrapalegic can fight. My point was that, for someone who isn't much of a fighter, you get into a lot of fights. That indicates you're doing something wrong. See above. People who don't know you shouldn't be able to put 2 and 2 together. That's what 'wearing it on your sleeve means.' Yeah, in a perfect world....but that's life dude. A hundred years from now it won't be that way, but for now, if it's getting your ass kicked why go through that?
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post

I don't wear anything on my sleeve. All of the fights I've been in were because some idiot put 2 and 2 together and felt he needed to stand up for his "manhood".
Thing is a fight is started by both people, so you were trying to prove your "manhood" too. If a guy comes up and punches you and you fight back, that's self defence, completely different to a fight. If you get yourself into a fight, like you said you have and you don't even know how to defend yourself or attack you deserve to get beat. Killsomething is saying you have the option to walk away, you choose not to and start or force a fight instead. That in itself is the wrong way to go.

Like I said in an earlier post (which you chose to completely ignore, even though it's the most realistic answer to your question) boxing is not for self defence, Krav Maga is. Why people are saying after x amount of months you'll be able to defend yourself I don't know, it's complete bullshit. It always comes down to the practitioner, you can't put a timeline on an individual's progression. This is why I'm saying do a martial art which is aimed exactly at what you need to learn. Although I'm sure you'll ignore this post to as it isn't what you want to hear, but realities a bitch.

Last edited by viru§™; 06-03-2011 at 08:11 PM.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Kingscorpion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Just work on your jab, hook & overhand from both stances......... martial art of the 2 points.

And do some situps on a bench for core strength.



Then no one will harm you again.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
kyzz
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Completely missing my point. It's fine to be obviously gay. It's also not a wise choice in some areas. Sure, you have the right to do whatever you want and nobody has a right to abuse you for it...but some people will. If you aren't able/inclined to beat them back, then why ask for it in the first place? Discretion is the better part of valor. (or however that phrase goes).
I still don't get your point, and quite frankly I don't think you get it either.


Quote:
Everyone who isn't a quadrapalegic can fight. My point was that, for someone who isn't much of a fighter, you get into a lot of fights. That indicates you're doing something wrong. See above. People who don't know you shouldn't be able to put 2 and 2 together. That's what 'wearing it on your sleeve means.' Yeah, in a perfect world....but that's life dude. A hundred years from now it won't be that way, but for now, if it's getting your ass kicked why go through that?
If you look at the context of my post I said I've gotten into many fights recently (within the last few months), I didn't say "hey guys, I've been getting into fights every week for the last 10 years...", hence why I made this thread.

Of course walking away is the correct answer, but in these cases I chose not to (an example you'll see when I respond to viru§)


Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Like I said in an earlier post (which you chose to completely ignore, even though it's the most realistic answer to your question)
I ignored your previous post because it made no sense, completely discrediting the fact that being a good boxer can make you a good fighter, at least that's what various professional fighters have said (but what do they know?)

Quote:
Thing is a fight is started by both people, so you were trying to prove your "manhood" too. If a guy comes up and punches you and you fight back, that's self defence, completely different to a fight. If you get yourself into a fight, like you said you have and you don't even know how to defend yourself or attack you deserve to get beat. Killsomething is saying you have the option to walk away, you choose not to and start or force a fight instead. That in itself is the wrong way to go.
Here's what happened during the last fight I was in.

Me and 4 of my friends (two girls, two guys) were in a 'pizza pizza' (it's like Little Caesars but Canadian) and we're minding our own business, just talking to eachother. So some idiot yells from across the restaurant "Keep it down faggots" over and over again...the two guys working there at the time did nothing, but neither did we...we kept talking (ignoring him) and minding our own business. So he walks up to our table by himself, clearly trying to impress his girlfriend and his 2 friends at the other table, and tells us "why do you keep looking at my table" (mind you NO ONE was looking at him EXCEPT when he told us to "keep it down"), he was just trying to instigate something.

So I respond:
"excuse me?"
"I told you to shut the **** up why won't you shut the **** up?"
"I heard you, I just didn't care"
"get the **** out of here bitch"
"umm, no, we're good"


So he grabs the plastic plate my pizza is on and slides it off the table, then I grabbed my drink and threw it in his face. Then we started fighting, cops were called, we were both told to leave and go our separate ways.

Could I have simply left the restaurant after he threw my pizza on the ground? Sure, but I chose not to.
kyzz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
wucking fasted
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: oz
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Have you considered not acting so gay? if you walk around acting like Bruno all day, someones gonna pick on you...
wucking fasted is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
Kingscorpion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

More reason to Prince em then lol.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
Kingscorpion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default

BORKED
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #25
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Of course walking away is the correct answer, but in these cases I chose not to (an example you'll see when I respond to viru§)
Proving my point about you trying to prove your manhood...

Quote:
I ignored your previous post because it made no sense, completely discrediting the fact that being a good boxer can make you a good fighter, at least that's what various professional fighters have said (but what do they know?)
Being a good boxer makes you a good boxer, not a fighter. The chance of you landing a decnt shot is slim. Most street fights end up on the floor or in some sort of grapple.

Quote:
Here's what happened during the last fight I was in.

Me and 4 of my friends (two girls, two guys) were in a 'pizza pizza' (it's like Little Caesars but Canadian) and we're minding our own business, just talking to eachother. So some idiot yells from across the restaurant "Keep it down faggots" over and over again...the two guys working there at the time did nothing, but neither did we...we kept talking (ignoring him) and minding our own business. So he walks up to our table by himself, clearly trying to impress his girlfriend and his 2 friends at the other table, and tells us "why do you keep looking at my table" (mind you NO ONE was looking at him EXCEPT when he told us to "keep it down"), he was just trying to instigate something.

So I respond:
"excuse me?"
"I told you to shut the **** up why won't you shut the **** up?"
"I heard you, I just didn't care"
"get the **** out of here bitch"
"umm, no, we're good"


So he grabs the plastic plate my pizza is on and slides it off the table, then I grabbed my drink and threw it in his face. Then we started fighting, cops were called, we were both told to leave and go our separate ways.

Could I have simply left the restaurant after he threw my pizza on the ground? Sure, but I chose not to.
No. You should have left when he started shouting shit at you across the restaurant. How did you think it was going to end? You thought it would esculate to a fight, so you stayed. Infact, you instigated the fight.

It seems you cause the fights. Stop being so immature and these things won't happen. Problem solved.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #26
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wucking fasted View Post
Have you considered not acting so gay? if you walk around acting like Bruno all day, someones gonna pick on you...
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
I still don't get your point, and quite frankly I don't think you get it either.
Ima break this down for you Barney style.

There are certain gay people that you would only know were gay if you witnessed them buttsecksing a dude.

There are some gay people who WALK gay, TALK gay, make gay hand motions, PDA their boyfriend in public, and generally have an air of homo***uality about them.

The first type of gay person usually gets along just fine. I have a family member who's like that. He lives in the same section of town I do. If he was the second type, he couldn't walk to the other side of town without getting curbstomped and having a parking cone shoved up his ass.

The second type is usually found in places that are more accepting. For example, large college towns, France, etc.

Idk which type you are. But if you're the second and it's getting you beaten up, there's no harm in acting a little less gay. It makes sense. There's nothing to argue about here. If it's acting gay that's getting you beaten up, act less gay until you learn to defend yourself. Easy. You know how many fights I've gotten into for being gay? 0. Because I'm not gay and don't pretend to be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
If you look at the context of my post I said I've gotten into many fights recently (within the last few months), I didn't say "hey guys, I've been getting into fights every week for the last 10 years...",

Of course walking away is the correct answer
If it gets to a point where you have to walk away, you've already ****ed up. I'm not one to walk away from a fight, which is why I avoid situations where a fight could arise.

And regardless of your total lifetime fight record, 3 fights in 4 months is a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
I ignored your previous post because it made no sense, completely discrediting the fact that being a good boxer can make you a good fighter, at least that's what various professional fighters have said (but what do they know?)
It made plenty of sense. Once you learn how to punch you'll be careful about hitting people. I can hit pretty hard, which is why I don't throw punches unless there's nothing else I can do. Break your hand over some guy's dome and you're ****ed. If you can hit hard and are accustomed to gloves and wraps, your hand will probably shatter like glass if you punch someone in the head.

Being a good boxer makes you tougher. That's about all the good it'll do you. And as stated before, it'll be a looong time before you're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
Me and 4 of my friends (two girls, two guys) were in a 'pizza pizza' (it's like Little Caesars but Canadian) and we're minding our own business, just talking to eachother. So some idiot yells from across the restaurant "Keep it down faggots" over and over again...the two guys working there at the time did nothing, but neither did we...we kept talking (ignoring him) and minding our own business. So he walks up to our table by himself, clearly trying to impress his girlfriend and his 2 friends at the other table, and tells us "why do you keep looking at my table" (mind you NO ONE was looking at him EXCEPT when he told us to "keep it down"), he was just trying to instigate something.

So I respond:
"excuse me?"
"I told you to shut the **** up why won't you shut the **** up?"
"I heard you, I just didn't care"
"get the **** out of here bitch"
"umm, no, we're good"


So he grabs the plastic plate my pizza is on and slides it off the table, then I grabbed my drink and threw it in his face.
Okay, so now you confirm what a few of us have been saying. You didn't have to get in that fight at all. There's a hundred ways you could have avoided that. All of them would have led to the other guy looking stupid and everyone laughing at him. Instead, you made an ass out of yourself and needlessly endangered yourself AND your friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
Could I have simply left the restaurant after he threw my pizza on the ground? Sure, but I chose not to.
No, he would have followed you or stopped you. How old are you? No offense, but you really don't sound like you understand people and the way they can behave.

Learn some interpersonal skills. Or get a gun. You're on the fast track to becoming a hate crime statistic.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #27
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Okay, so now you confirm what a few of us have been saying. You didn't have to get in that fight at all. There's a hundred ways you could have avoided that. All of them would have led to the other guy looking stupid and everyone laughing at him.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GjzA3xcaY[/ame]
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #28
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,302
vCash: 933
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Thing is a fight is started by both people, so you were trying to prove your "manhood" too. If a guy comes up and punches you and you fight back, that's self defence, completely different to a fight. If you get yourself into a fight, like you said you have and you don't even know how to defend yourself or attack you deserve to get beat. Killsomething is saying you have the option to walk away, you choose not to and start or force a fight instead. That in itself is the wrong way to go.

Like I said in an earlier post (which you chose to completely ignore, even though it's the most realistic answer to your question) boxing is not for self defence, Krav Maga is. Why people are saying after x amount of months you'll be able to defend yourself I don't know, it's complete bullshit. It always comes down to the practitioner, you can't put a timeline on an individual's progression. This is why I'm saying do a martial art which is aimed exactly at what you need to learn. Although I'm sure you'll ignore this post to as it isn't what you want to hear, but realities a bitch.
Disagree. From experience, people who take up combat sports are a lot more able to defend themselves than people who take "Martial Arts" which is supposudly for self defense. Just like wrestling is an olympic sport but if you are able to throw down someone twice your size, it is obviously an advantage. That's all self defense is, no one is saying after x amount of months you can beat this guy, it just gives you an advantage over another version of you who may not have taken up that art.

The reason why combat sports in particular are better for self defense in the streets is because of the contact aspect of it. Wrestlers wrestle, boxers box, mma fighters fight/spar etc. When you learn martial arts like karate or taek kwon do, its all fancy theory which has not been put into practice. Its like learning to throw a jab but never really have thrown a jab at a real person.

The army uses krav maga but they actually have real combat experience, I doubt you will get real combat experience in your average mc dojo.

I've seen national taek kwon do guys get bullied at school. Karate guys who cant fight at all. On the other hand I've routinely seen boxers knock out guys in street fights.

UFC is actually a good indication of what art actually works or not in combat, of course the rules have been altered overtime but we see that boxing, kickboxing, wrestling and ground grappling are the essentials to gain a good advantage in 1 on 1 combat.

Now you can add kicking in balls and other dirty tactics but IMO when people wanna learn self defense, its not literally self defense...if thats the case, carry a gun...people ask this question so they can learn to fight so they can beat the other guy and keep their pride intact. You may say walk away but hey, everyone has different mindsets.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #29
kyzz
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Proving my point about you trying to prove your manhood...
I guess we'll agree to disagree...you call it "proving your mahood" and I call it "defending your dignity"

Quote:
No. You should have left when he started shouting shit at you across the restaurant. How did you think it was going to end? You thought it would esculate to a fight, so you stayed. Infact, you instigated the fight.
So your logic is as follows; if someone screams at you in a public setting, such as a restaurant, you immediately leave? So my friends and I were suppose to do what exactly, take our food and eat outside? Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to be an animal who's shoo'ed out of every public place then by all means be one, I choose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Ima break this down for you Barney style.

There are certain gay people that you would only know were gay if you witnessed them buttsecksing a dude.

There are some gay people who WALK gay, TALK gay, make gay hand motions, PDA their boyfriend in public, and generally have an air of homo***uality about them.
That's nice, glad you seem to notice them

Quote:
Idk which type you are. But if you're the second and it's getting you beaten up, there's no harm in acting a little less gay. It makes sense.
Great advice man, the intellect just seeps through..."act less gay" - one could argue that your posts before had some merit, but once you to steep to this level you sound like, well, an idiot (no offense)

Quote:
There's nothing to argue about here. If it's acting gay that's getting you beaten up, act less gay until you learn to defend yourself. Easy. You know how many fights I've gotten into for being gay? 0. Because I'm not gay and don't pretend to be.
This may be hard for you to believe (so brace yourself!), but have you entertained the fact that those people "acting gay" are probably NOT acting? I know! Impossible, right!? I mean, with all the gay people that fit your stereotypical view, we'll assume millions, do you really believe we're part of a conspiracy that perpetuates an "act"? Do you think black people who play basketball are acting black? Or Jewish people that become lawyerss are acting like a bunch of Jews?

I really hope that you never have a gay son, especially one who gets bullied, because I'd feel pretty sorry for a child who has to go home only to be told by his father "...well maybe if you didn't act so gay"

Quote:
Okay, so now you confirm what a few of us have been saying. You didn't have to get in that fight at all. There's a hundred ways you could have avoided that. All of them would have led to the other guy looking stupid and everyone laughing at him. Instead, you made an ass out of yourself and needlessly endangered yourself AND your friends.
OK, let's play a game called 'What would you do?"

You're sitting a table with your friends enjoying a meal, I walk up to your table and tell you to "Get the **** out", what is your response?

Quote:
No offense, but you really don't sound like you understand people and the way they can behave.
Well coming from you, I assure you there was no offense taken
kyzz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #30
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,357
vCash: 1233
Default Re: How long would it take (to train at boxing) and be able to defend yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Boxing is a sport, not self defence. You want self defence go to Krav Maga classes.
true, but self defense isn't a bad reason to start boxing. I'm sure there's a lot of boxers who started off boxing for self defense. I like that reason better than getting in shape
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013