Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Even a fight with Fedor will not bring Couture out of retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Fedor is in another league to Couture, your pick is Couture fanboyism. Face it, when he was on top, it was because most of the best competion was fighting in Pride. His wrestling is very good, but to say he could ride that to being the best HW in the world is rabid speculation imo
Whatever dude. For the same reasons I think Henderson has a chance against Fedor, I think Couture would do well against Fedor, especially if it was fought to the ruleset he was familar with. Couture's resume is just as impressive as Fedor's, particularly when you consider how old he was at some of his best victories; Belfort, Smith, (A PRIME) Randleman, Rizzo, Liddell, Ortiz, (a still motivated/confident) Sylvia.

And just for fun, please tell me what you think Fedor's best victory is over a wrestler. This should be interesting.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict

vCash: 277

Colenab or Randelman, have your pick, all by quick submission. You seem to think that wrestling will always win on the ground. More top UFC fighters are wrestlers right now, but it is not the end all. Look at Spider or JDS or Aldo.
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Colenab or Randelman, have your pick, all by quick submission. You seem to think that wrestling will always win on the ground. More top UFC fighters are wrestlers right now, but it is not the end all. Look at Spider or JDS or Aldo.
So Coleman. A man unable to impose his wrestling on either Pedro Rizzo or Maurice Smith unlike Couture. A man who even in 2004 was clearly past his physical peak and after a brief resurrgence was once again struggling to stick with top competition. In two fights before facing Fedor in 2004, had lost by submission to Nogueira and then brutalised in the greatest brawl in the history of the sport against Frye. Had not fought in over a year.

Kevin Randleman. A very good wrestler who did indeed outwrestle Fedor. But Randleman's problem had always been his inability to really punish people from top position. He lost a fight to Couture after being on top for two hole rounds due to this. So sure Fedor did well to win but it hardly proves he can handle wrestlers - he was put into a bad spot by a fighter known for his lack of finishing skills. If Couture takes Fedor down, let alone suplexes his onto his head, you know he's going to do his utmost to capitalise.

And just to be clear I'm not saying Couture destroys Fedor, its very much a judgement call. But to say Couture is not even in Fedor's league is just stupid.

P.S. How has JDS proved anything about his ability to handle wrestlers? He's not faced one yet. And I can bore for Britain about how awesome Silva's ground attack but his exceptional ability to win fights off his back doesn't change the fact that wrestling is the most dominant discipline in MMA.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

If they fought i see Fedor winning by Sub.
Couture take Fedor down, trying to drop some punches GnP him but Fedor avoids any serious damage takes his arm and armbars it
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Im staying out of this one, Will Cooling sir you are doing a fine job in humouring this imbecile.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Couture is retired. Let him enjoy it. He went out on his shield in a classic KO. What more can a fighter ask for?
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #22
Beekeeper
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
So Coleman. A man unable to impose his wrestling on either Pedro Rizzo or Maurice Smith unlike Couture. A man who even in 2004 was clearly past his physical peak and after a brief resurrgence was once again struggling to stick with top competition. In two fights before facing Fedor in 2004, had lost by submission to Nogueira and then brutalised in the greatest brawl in the history of the sport against Frye. Had not fought in over a year.

Kevin Randleman. A very good wrestler who did indeed outwrestle Fedor. But Randleman's problem had always been his inability to really punish people from top position. He lost a fight to Couture after being on top for two hole rounds due to this. So sure Fedor did well to win but it hardly proves he can handle wrestlers - he was put into a bad spot by a fighter known for his lack of finishing skills. If Couture takes Fedor down, let alone suplexes his onto his head, you know he's going to do his utmost to capitalise.

And just to be clear I'm not saying Couture destroys Fedor, its very much a judgement call. But to say Couture is not even in Fedor's league is just stupid.

P.S. How has JDS proved anything about his ability to handle wrestlers? He's not faced one yet. And I can bore for Britain about how awesome Silva's ground attack but his exceptional ability to win fights off his back doesn't change the fact that wrestling is the most dominant discipline in MMA.
Ok great, you have shitted on the two American wrestlers Fedor had subbed in the first round while fighting in Japan, but what about Randy's opponents,

Who has he faced with the standup or ground game of Fedors? He has been KO'd by people with a worse striking game. You just automatically assume that anyone with great wrestling has an advantage over everyone else,

Like JDS for example, I believe he will beat Cain, just because he has not faced a wrestler does not mean I am wrong.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Ok great, you have shitted on the two American wrestlers Fedor had subbed in the first round while fighting in Japan, but what about Randy's opponents,

Who has he faced with the standup or ground game of Fedors? He has been KO'd by people with a worse striking game. You just automatically assume that anyone with great wrestling has an advantage over everyone else,

Like JDS for example, I believe he will beat Cain, just because he has not faced a wrestler does not mean I am wrong.
Stand-up: Chuck Liddell, Pedro Rizzo, Maurice Smith

Ground: Barnett and Nogueira, though he did lose to both
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #24
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

I never said he couldn't win, just that I thought Couture would. It'd be a pretty even fight. Its stupid to say that Couture have no chance.

Yes I did place those two victories into context. That's what you should do when trying to understand a fighter's strengths and weaknesses.

And I don't believe wrestlers always would win just that its the most crucial skill in the sport. If you can determine where the fight takes place that gives you a huge advantage over your opponent because you tailor the playing area to your advantages. The numbers don't lie. As for JDS - maybe he does beat Velasquez, but you can't say he has good takedown defense in the same I can't say he has bad takedown defense. Its unproven because he hasn't been tested against a wrestler.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
As for JDS - maybe he does beat Velasquez, but you can't say he has good takedown defense in the same I can't say he has bad takedown defense. Its unproven because he hasn't been tested against a wrestler.
they pitted him against Gonzaga but that didnt end up to well for Gonzaga tho his wrestling isnt the best in the world but his gg is good with his JJ background but unfortunately for him he ended up on the ground all alone
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #26
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

I dont get peoples fascination with Fedor v Randy... Ive always seen this as a dominant win for Fedor, dream match my ass.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #27
Beekeeper
ESB Addict

Quote:
I never said he couldn't win, just that I thought Couture would. It'd be a pretty even fight. Its stupid to say that Couture have no chance.

Yes I did place those two victories into context. That's what you should do when trying to understand a fighter's strengths and weaknesses.

And I don't believe wrestlers always would win just that its the most crucial skill in the sport. If you can determine where the fight takes place that gives you a huge advantage over your opponent because you tailor the playing area to your advantages. The numbers don't lie. As for JDS - maybe he does beat Velasquez, but you can't say he has good takedown defense in the same I can't say he has bad takedown defense. Its unproven because he hasn't been tested against a wrestler.
Call me stupid, but I think Couture has a very small chance, I really don't see how his ability is much greater than Coleman or Randleman, especially in 2007 when you said he would have a chance.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum