Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #61
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonius View Post
Running 10 miles in less than 60 minutes is doable for most people.
I'd love to know how you worked this one out, most people wouldn't be able to run 10 miles. You're claiming "most people" could keep 6 minute mile pace for an hour, get real.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #62
smithj1234jj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I'd love to know how you worked this one out, most people wouldn't be able to run 10 miles. You're claiming "most people" could keep 6 minute mile pace for an hour, get real.
innit but the more laughable claim was that amatuers shoudl be aiming for a sub 15 min 5km haha id be surpirsed if pacman could do that let alone your average run of the mill amatuer boxer the 2 sports arent compareable
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #63
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 75
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonius View Post
No one I know who runs that kind of distance runs the same miles everyday and I believe it will be no different with Pac.

I could see him running ten miles on a "long run" day maybe but there is no way he is running the same distance everyday for weeks and weeks, not even distance runners run the same milage everyday, just look at any running program that involves running for 5 days or more, they always alternate the distances and pace.

Come to think of it no athlete keeps the exact routine everyday for any period of time, if they did they would never get any better.

IMO what would matter most about whether that is a good distance for a pro boxer would be how fast he is running the 10 miles.


A 12 round boxing match including recovery between rounds lasts just under 50 minutes
*******************************************************

Running 10 miles in less than 60 minutes is doable for most people. The record is something like 45 minutes.

So if he is running the 10 miles at a really fast pace it will take him about the same period of time as it takes to fight a twelve rounder, and I can certainly see the benefit in that, not only will he be able to go twelve rounds but he will be able to do it with intensity.

Taking the same thinking to the amateurs you would want to run a 5k and try to get up to doing it in under 15 minutes.
I agree with everything above the asterisks.

10 miles in 60 minutes is not doable for many people at all. I *sort of* trained in running for a while (soccer, military pt) and the lowest I ever got was 18.27 for a 3 miler. That was at OCS after losing 20lb in 5 weeks and going on maybe one run a week the whole time. Went there sick doing a 21-something, recovered after 3 weeks. I know I could have dropped it into the lower 17's if I had actually been training to run, maybe lower if I was REALLY serious.

But I'm built like a runner. Not everybody is. 15 minutes? I'm comfortable saying it isn't in my genetics to do that, nor is it in most people's. And if you're doing a 15 minute 5k it means you put in some serious roadwork, usually twice a day. So when are you gonna have time to box?

I'd be surprised if you could show me 10 pro OR amateur boxers who can nail a 15 in a 5k. MrVIP doesn't count.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #64
smithj1234jj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I agree with everything above the asterisks.

10 miles in 60 minutes is not doable for many people at all. I *sort of* trained in running for a while (soccer, military pt) and the lowest I ever got was 18.27 for a 3 miler. That was at OCS after losing 20lb in 5 weeks and going on maybe one run a week the whole time. Went there sick doing a 21-something, recovered after 3 weeks. I know I could have dropped it into the lower 17's if I had actually been training to run, maybe lower if I was REALLY serious.

But I'm built like a runner. Not everybody is. 15 minutes? I'm comfortable saying it isn't in my genetics to do that, nor is it in most people's. And if you're doing a 15 minute 5k it means you put in some serious roadwork, usually twice a day. So when are you gonna have time to box?

I'd be surprised if you could show me 10 pro OR amateur boxers who can nail a 15 in a 5k. MrVIP doesn't count.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #65
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

BS for the advert, Wladimir Klitschko apparently only eats around 5000kcals.

Last edited by Jdsm; 06-04-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #66
Leonius
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I'd love to know how you worked this one out, most people wouldn't be able to run 10 miles. You're claiming "most people" could keep 6 minute mile pace for an hour, get real.
I mean that they have the physical potential not that they can just go out and do it today. I could be wrong I admit I was just throwing around theories at that point.

Pac has been running for years so I can believe that after all these years of running he could run ten miles in under 60 minutes.

Again I could be totally wrong but it is humanly possible.

Last edited by Leonius; 06-04-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Leonius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #67
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonius View Post
I mean that they have the physical potential not that they can just go out and do it today. I could be wrong I admit I was just throwing around theories at that point.

Pac has been running for years so I can believe that after all these years of running he could run ten miles in under 60 minutes.

Again I could be totally wrong but it is humanly possible.
Of course it's possible, but it's a specific task which requires specific training.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #68
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 1290
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Another thing is that people get so worked about volume of running, volume isn't anywhere near as important as intensity when it comes to higher levels of fitness. I'm not an elite runner by any means, I do interval running about twice a week and some 400/800 metre sprints on another day. On my recovery day I run about 10-12km at a comfortable pace. It's funny how people react, they're like "omg 10 kilometres on your day off, you must be crazy fit!", when that's the easy work. You tell them about your interval training and they're like whatever.
If you run at a slow pace you could run for days on end if you were that way inclined, fat supplies almost unlimited energy. That's what Pacman probably does, he goes for slow morning runs to burn some fat and probably clear his mind. That sort of running doesn't really cut into your glycogen stores so he could probably do it every day without it affecting his other training too much. If he was running 10km in 30 minutes every day he'd break down pretty quickly so obviously that's not what he's doing.
Just to reiterate, the amount of kilometres run each day indicates very little, it's the intensity that matters. The percentage of HRmax or VO2max that they're running at are the numbers that really matter if you want to judge how hard someone is training.
lefty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #69
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Posts: 868
vCash: 430
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Another thing is that people get so worked about volume of running, volume isn't anywhere near as important as intensity when it comes to higher levels of fitness. I'm not an elite runner by any means, I do interval running about twice a week and some 400/800 metre sprints on another day. On my recovery day I run about 10-12km at a comfortable pace. It's funny how people react, they're like "omg 10 kilometres on your day off, you must be crazy fit!", when that's the easy work. You tell them about your interval training and they're like whatever.
If you run at a slow pace you could run for days on end if you were that way inclined, fat supplies almost unlimited energy. That's what Pacman probably does, he goes for slow morning runs to burn some fat and probably clear his mind. That sort of running doesn't really cut into your glycogen stores so he could probably do it every day without it affecting his other training too much. If he was running 10km in 30 minutes every day he'd break down pretty quickly so obviously that's not what he's doing.
Just to reiterate, the amount of kilometres run each day indicates very little, it's the intensity that matters. The percentage of HRmax or VO2max that they're running at are the numbers that really matter if you want to judge how hard someone is training.
real spit
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #70
empiricix
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 409
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

How many miles is it from downtown LA to Griffith Park? I think that's what Pacquiao does almost every day for the 3-4 weeks that he trains in LA. I also know that Ariza has hired a professional marathon runner to be his pace-setter. It's in Youtube and mpboxing.com.
empiricix is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013