Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #46
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
Why such diffrent views? well most boxers and coaches agree strength training with plyometrics is quite good....there really arnt all that many different views.
Most coaches see weights as evil due to their lack of knowledge and/or pure ignorance.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #47
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Most coaches see weights as evil due to their lack of knowledge and/or pure ignorance.
What this man said. Old wives tales die hard. Any trainer that tells you "weights" are bad is an idiot.
No one's saying body build or lift weight like a strong man.I just cannot fathom why people cannot differentiate between the two.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #48
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
What this man said. Old wives tales die hard. Any trainer that tells you "weights" are bad is an idiot.
No one's saying body build or lift weight like a strong man.I just cannot fathom why people cannot differentiate between the two.
thats why heavy bags and medicine balls (weights) have been a staple to boxing training for almost ever.
Ylem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #49
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Most coaches see weights as evil due to their lack of knowledge and/or pure ignorance.
thats why body weight exercises like push ups and pull ups have allways been a part of boxing? because weights are evil? and coaches are ignorant? even though coaches will have you use the weight of your body to train? thats why coaches will have you throw around the weight of a medicing ball? is that why jim jeffries jack dempsey and more would do plyometrics with medicine balls?

because coaches view weights as evil and they are the ignorant ones...
Ylem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #50
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
thats why body weight exercises like push ups and pull ups have allways been a part of boxing? because weights are evil? and coaches are ignorant? even though coaches will have you use the weight of your body to train? thats why coaches will have you throw around the weight of a medicing ball? is that why jim jeffries jack dempsey and more would do plyometrics with medicine balls?
This is all true, you use your bodyweight as resistance while doing bodyweight training. Technically this is weight training, I have no argument against that. But you say that to a boxing coach and say weight training is the same movement but with added weight and they'll call you an idiot. They're fine doing bodyweight squats but as soon as you add more weight it'll make you slower and decrease your boxing skill. Medicine ball training is weight training, they see it differently.

Quote:
because coaches view weights as evil and they are the ignorant ones...
Yes. Most boxing coaches are ignorant idiots when it comes to weight training.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #51
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
This is all true, you use your bodyweight as resistance while doing bodyweight training. Technically this is weight training, I have no argument against that. But you say that to a boxing coach and say weight training is the same movement but with added weight and they'll call you an idiot. They're fine doing bodyweight squats but as soon as you add more weight it'll make you slower and decrease your boxing skill. Medicine ball training is weight training, they see it differently.

Yes. Most boxing coaches are ignorant idiots when it comes to weight training.
sooo weight training has been a staple of boxing forever and to argue that weight training is good or bad with out taking the effort to specify exactly what you mean by weight training is ignorance from both parties.

even more so to make a thread about weight training with out specifying exactly what you mean by weight training is nothing but an attempt to troll.
Ylem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #52
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
sooo weight training has been a staple of boxing forever and to argue that weight training is good or bad with out taking the effort to specify exactly what you mean by weight training is ignorance from both parties.

even more so to make a thread about weight training with out specifying exactly what you mean by weight training is nothing but an attempt to troll.
Good ol Yelm, always there to start trouble for no apparent reason.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #53
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Good ol Yelm, always there to start trouble for no apparent reason.
just pointing out the reality of the thread.

im not saying that your trying to troll or that any one whos posted in this thread are trolls.

just that any, why do boxers hate weight training or any why do boxers run long distances threads are nothing but attempts to troll.
Ylem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #54
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
just that any, why do boxers hate weight training or any why do boxers run long distances threads are nothing but attempts to troll.
How did you work this out? Some of these threads do turn into arguments when somebody that lacks knowledge spurts out something stupid like "Lifting weights make you slow" like it's fact.

I don't think all the people starting these threads want to troll, they just want to know why their coach despises weights. There was a guy that started a thread asking why his coach refused to train him if he trained with weights. You think he wanted to cause trouble or just understand what the issue is with weight training and boxing?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #55
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
How did you work this out? Some of these threads do turn into arguments when somebody that lacks knowledge spurts out something stupid like "Lifting weights make you slow" like it's fact.

I don't think all the people starting these threads want to troll, they just want to know why their coach despises weights. There was a guy that started a thread asking why his coach refused to train him if he trained with weights. You think he wanted to cause trouble or just understand what the issue is with weight training and boxing?
id imagine he was trolling...... coach not going to train some one if they lift weights sounds like a hypothetical subject made up for no reason other then troll.

it might not have been an attempt to troll but if that was the case he probly would have been specific in the lifting he was doing, stuck to talking about the weight lifting he did and not mid thread try to argue that because plyos use weights plyos=weightlifting and plyos = good for boxing

Thus...... weightlifting(plyos)= good for boxing = coachs dont know shit.

if they want to know why they should just use the search function and read through any one of the tens if not hundreds of troll threads already created.
Ylem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #56
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 75
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

at my old gym the coach offered us a weight routine to follow if we wanted to do so out of the boxing gym , i think it consisted of thing like lunges dumbell rows erm i didnt use it so i couldnt say , but unfortunatley he knew more about weights than the actual boxing side of things , i guess you dont often find coaches who can mentor your boxing and also know there way around the weights room
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #57
Aeolus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

hey what do you guys think about putting weights in a backpack ,going for a walk,doing pull ups,push ups,squats,going up stairs and other things,have you done anything like that?
Aeolus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #58
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,666
vCash: 202
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

We had a PTI who made us 80lb packs and then we hiked with them and did all sorts of weight PT with them. Swings, lifts, sprints, bunch of other stuff.

It sucked. And I gained 15lb of muscle that semester.

I wouldn't do it for boxing training, but it works for what it's designed for I guess.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #59
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

I'm going to post my personal experience with it, but keep in mind this is just me. I was a fast little kid, running a few miles a week would easily have kept me down near 115 lbs or less if I didn't make an effort to keep muscle on by eating/ cheating on cardio at that time. figting at 118 I was always fast, but I didn't feel that strong or impact resistant. So I took some time off, lifted, gained a little muscle to about 125-128 lbs, and still felt quick, felt more punch resistant, had endurance, and felt stronger than most of the guys at the weight. At that weight I was lifting regularly, just stopping two weeks before any competition.

Fought that way (ams only) for a few years. Then I was training in the gym with a good workout partner without really competing, and I felt very strong, was doing so much weight stuff, never felt limited, and my weight never really got above 130. Then I left all that when I had a travelling job with my wife's family, couldn't work out in the gym, couldn't lift, but I had a fresh supply of blue collar illegal mexicans to spar with on our set up crew for three years. there was no lifting, but I was so much faster than those guys, I felt like lightning. then I quit, visited my old sparring partner and destroyed him with my speed, he said I seemed faster than ever. At that time I had gotten fatter and was about 136 lbs, but felt just as quick.

I went back to lifting, and about four months after that I saw one of the guys I had sparred from my old job, who I had outsped so easily even though he was young and pretty fast. When we squared up, I realized two things: I wasn't quicker than him anymore after just three or four months of lifting. I saw the openings, I had my foot speed to control range, but my upperbody mechanics were simply not responding as well.

I know for a fact it wasn't years off, I had an easier time with my old experienced boxing sparring partner with three years away from lifting or serious training than I ever did when we were working out together, and then just a few months later struggled to out-time a guy I had always been faster than, because the lifting really had bound me up, and I needed to use timing and strength in the session to dominate.

So you can still be fast with lifting, but I do think it can SIGNIFICANTLY decrease reaction time and increases oxygen requirements, especially if you are a guy who relies on his speed.
aramini is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #60
mortimer657
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Assuming a correctly structured program is used, Lifting weights and/or odd objects (for example, sandbags) works and using boyweight training works. And everything in between i.e a mixture/blend of the two.

This is the problem with boxing and indeed most combat sports these days. The purists who swear by good old bodyweight work swear blind weights will hinder the athlete, at the same time as the guy who swears by lifting weights or odd objects gasps at the thought of only doing bodyweight work claiming the athletes it produces will be inferior to those using the iron.

Bodyweight...weights/odd objects.....both are just TOOLS. Concern yourself with the end result instead of worrying about the modality your using to get there.

Me?? I like both bodyweight training, either bodyweight alone AND/OR using power bands (i get mine from ironwoodyfitness.com), weighted vests etc AND using weights whether that be kettlebells, dumbells, barbells or sandbags etc etc.

Structure your program to suit your sport (in my, or indeed your case i assume, that'll be boxing), implement it, monitor and adjust accordingly.

To re-cap. Focus on the goal not the tool used to get there.
mortimer657 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013